'Like' system, better than any other reputation method

Rubacava

Hi everyone,

I know that 'like' makes the forum heavier and overloads the server but there's a point.

first of all, 'A' reputation point method is much needed, because this forum has too much information that reading all of it needs years! literally! so for having better efficiency, new comers read posts that has more likes and most of the times better post=more likes. This way atleast we can follow better opinions but without a reputation point method this thing would not happen.

So why 'like' is better than any other reputation methods for vB ? like is supported in Tapatalk so this process would be possible for mobiles.

and I think setting up a new type of reputation other than likes, removes previous likes that have been given to posters.

Thanks. and sorry for my English.

To elaborate on Linda's comment, repeated from my post in another thread:

The reputation system for Invision is seemingly a bit fragile. Something in the design of Invision's reputation plugin is such that it can write duplicate unique IDs into the reputation database. Unfortunately, if there are duplicate IDs, any query on the reputation table fails until the database is repaired by hand. And due to the way the reputation plugin works, *everything* has to query that table when showing a forum or a thread or whatever; when the reputation table is wonky, only a handful of pages on the forum work.

What seems to happen is if two people do 'likes' fairly close together, it ends up trying to insert two rows with identical unique IDs (as Invision appears to be generating the IDs itself). Now, with the new hardware and setup, normally under even a heavy load we'd just see pages return a little more slowly. However, with the reputation thing, it seems to mean that if people are clicking 'like' while things are under load, there's a chance of that duplicate ID situation coming up.

The outcome of which is that, suddenly, the forum eats its own tail and becomes sick, then either shuts down or starts spitting a "Invision Database Error!" page.

(Disclaimer: this is reverse-engineering the situation through logs; I've always come back to find things already mucked up rather than sitting at the keys to watch it happen, so I'm not 100% positive that's what's killing the table. All I know for sure is the table ends up with duplicate IDs, it's more prone to it under heavy system load and it is *only* that table... so it's got to be something tied to the reputation system. And turning off the reputation system makes all the issues go away.)

The ways to solve this would be:

1) Write a script that just, every 10 minutes or so, runs 'repair' on the reputation table so that even if the situation crops up, the forum would fix itself. (This is evidently the recommended fix from Invision.) This would mean that the forum might toss the 'Database Error' page periodically, but then would fix itself a bit later.

2) Write our own version of the reputation plugin — which would be time-consuming and, if we didn't want to lose the existing 'like' data, would require careful design to preserve the existing data.

or

3) Turn off the reputation plugin for now to spare headaches.

3 was the least amount of work in the short term, so that neither Ran nor I need to worry about this for a bit.

In the slightly longer term I'm going to look at what #2 would require; if it's doable, I might do that, if not, I *can* do #1 if it becomes necessary and people really want the reputation plugin. But that just seems to me a hackish way and not-ideal way to shore up what appears to be a somewhat fragile plugin.

The posts with the most likes aren't always the best. I often got likes for saying something sarcastic.

Your best bet is to use the 'New Content' button - this will show you all the discussions that are taking place at the moment. Most are good quality - and discussions is a great way to get involved.

Archived