[Book Spoilers] Why put the plot hole about Varys telling Tyrion about Dany?

total1402

In the books nobody in Westeros is aware of this until much later and certainly not the royal council; something which is a bit of a joke about how everyone dismisses stories of dragons hatching. But, Varys just told Tyrion in the second season... Why? He has no reason not to tell Tywin and Cersei. It'll beg the question of why they don't send assasians or some other response to kill Daenerys; like Robert did last time. It just felt like a really strange thing to do and I don't think the producers understood that the story would have been different if the Lannisters knew about Daenerys n dragons.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrion in the book and on the show is not devulging too much information to Cersei and Tywin.

Plus, Tyrion is not on the council anymore and will be gone from KL soon. It is also difficult to show Varys' reach as a "spy" without making it seem as though he knows everything going on in the realm.

The scene had one purpose, imo: to show that Jorah has been sending reports as late as Qarth.

And it doesn't really matter, anyway, as Tyrion instantly dismisses these reports, just as they are dismissed by Tywin in the book.

I never got why he was still sending those reports at Qaarth. I wish Dany had actually gotten that out of him after having asked just that before realising that he was involved in the plot on her child.

The scene had one purpose, imo: to show that Jorah has been sending reports as late as Qarth.

And it doesn't really matter, anyway, as Tyrion instantly dismisses these reports, just as they are dismissed by Tywin in the book.

Not only to show Jorah the Homeless's betrayal, but also to portray Varys as nearly omniscient and to set the stage for him as Tyrion's ally. Besides, if he told anyone who took him seriously, it might provide some momentary unity within the government and that would undermine his goals, however fleeting that unity might be. Besides, he knows that Westeros may face a war on two fronts if he stages Aegon the Little's move for the throne, and that never ends well for the country in the middle. He may see the benefits of splitting Westeros as outweighing the problems of facing Daenerys the Unsure's dragons afterwards.

• 4 months later...

Warning?

If they had any idea of what was going on up at the wall... but hell, Amon Targaryon has been forgotten, I can't honestly see anyone in that Throne-room capable of understanding what the significance of this side of things.

Filed and forgotten.

Until the Wights punch a hole through the wall...

Archived