Things you deduced about GRRM when you first read the books.

Rolex Baratheon

For me these impressions were short lived but there all the same:

1. He has a lactation fetish.

2. He isn't too fascinated with the idea of standard sex.

3. He is really thick skinned and unfazed by a whole lot of things.

4. He probably hung out with bikers when he was young and maybe still does.

And so on. xP

1. Atheist/Agnostic who used to be religious or had formal religious training at one point.

2. Traveled the world a whole lot.

3. Loves history especially Western Civilization. He could teach the subject.

4. Understands and studies different cultures and different traditions.

5. He loves English language literature, especially the classics.

6. Big Comics book fan as well.

7. He is a genius. Just like many great authors the man isn't "smart" or "highly intelligent" the man is a GENIUS he was writing stories in elementary school that most adults can't write.

8. He is honest about his sadistic and his masochistic elements in his being something that I wish more writers were honest about.

9. He is a tough guy. He may not have physical tools but he has mental tools, if he was in prison he would be a, "shot caller."

10. He is the real deal in literature. He really is an, "Author."

I sensed Tyrion was his favourite character before reading the interviews.

I also sensed he was an atheist.

He's read a lot of Shakespeare, Blake and Milton. Like me.

He spends hours writing at a time and gets fully absorbed in his writing. This may seem obvious... but not all writers do!

1. Well versed in history (probably of the Medieval European variant, but still...). Specialty being Late Medieval English timeline. Layman-wise probably about as knowledgeable as one gets.

2. Obviously a big fan of traditional fantasy. I feel he is more closer to D&D than Tolkien in the sense that he likes to add thing as he goes rather than sit down and construct a whole world from the beginning to end (and every detail that goes with it, like language, custom, gods, etc) a la LOTR.

3. Big fan of food and deserts it seems especially. Lemon pie anyone?

4. I feel that Sci-fi also influences him alot and I sort of get sci-fiy vibe from the books but couldn't exactly pin it down. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable in sci-fi could fill in on this?

He loves wasting good food.

"The dish laid out in front of her held a massive roasted cow leg, marinated with all sorts of spices and sizzling in the greasy juices gathering on the sides of the dish."

And Dany wasn't hungry.

*Adds this to list of reasons to hate Dany*

The man loves a good meal. I think in a way he is Daario N.,. "I have not counted a day lived if I have not slain a foe, eaten a fine meal and loved a woman."

He is a champion of all the freaks and geeks in the world. Definitely not ever a part of the "in-crowd," and this comes across loud and clear in his writing.

He seems to have, or at least had, some father issues.......

He sees all of the ugly in the world in unflinching detail, but yet still seems to retain appreciation for what is good, and some sense of cautious optimism as well.

I sensed Tyrion was his favourite character before reading the interviews.

I also sensed he was an atheist.

He's read a lot of Shakespeare, Blake and Milton. Like me.

He spends hours writing at a time and gets fully absorbed in his writing. This may seem obvious... but not all writers do!

All of these things!

I'd add:

I think he must have loved The Once and Future King.

He's a humanist, and unlikely to condemn out of hand a way of life or thought that is alien to his own. Other-ism is probably chief amongst the things that grind his gears.

He's genuinely interested in learning from his mistakes and improving. He does his best not to let pride interfere when confronted with criticism, particularly about how he portrays experiences very different from his own.

I expect he can be a good listener/observer.

I think he might feel male sexual pride is a bit more noble/sympathetic/meaningful than it really is.

...aaaaaannnndddd......

I feel kind of bad for mentioning this, but my friend, who has just started aFfC (I think I'd be able to reconstruct her entire reading journey by going back through my posts for mentions of Things My Newbie Friend Says), had this to say to me:

My Newbie Friend: Okay, I have to wonder if people really do pee their pants in fear as often George R.R. Martin seems to think they do.

Me: Ha! You know, you've got a scene coming up where Tyrion isn't even afraid, he just pees himself in a fight. It's like, "Tyrion wet himself in the ensuing struggle."

MNF: This kind of makes me worry about GRRM.

:leaving:

I think that you can reasonably extract the interest in history, particularly the history of Europe, from the story. It's also pretty easy to tell he's well-read. But a lot of the rest of this stuff is pretty baseless. You can't really assume that because an author has characters do a particular thing or because he portrays a particular thing that it must be a reflection of his personality or his preferences.

I agree with the whole people wetting themselves or "loosing their bowels" in fear thing... how often does this happen?? What does this say about GRRM?!

I could tell he was a good atheist, a lover of food, an adventurous spirit, and still incredibly sexually driven for a man of his age....... I mean the descriptions of Dany's naked body are often and detailed.... we get it already!!

All in all though, I'd be his friend.

Archived