Oberyn Martell-Who Should Play The Red Viper Of Dorne ?

Flaming Heart

Congratulations on the patronising and ridiculous post. But guess what? I'm white.

As if anyone here ever expected that you weren't white. What, you think that only POC's can act hatefully and have double standards? Tsk...

No one cares that you're white, silly. Now stop accusing other people of racism and whitewashing for their opinions about casting, it's childish.

For the record, I consider the miscasting of Xaro on the show (changing him from a creepy, effeminately, homosexual white nobleman to a straight, masculine, black self-made commoner in Qarth) to be a terrible decision, and just one of several very bad changes in Season 2.

@Blackfyre: Well done, sir. And you're not a racist or a homophobe for thinking so. Xaro from the books was awesome, and important.

I think the series is best served by having Martells which look and feel and act as faithfully as realistically possible to GRRM's description of the character, and with no regard given for politics, political correctness, or any other inappropriate nonsense. I respectfully submit that they should look like

this.

This ethnicity stuff is such a vexed issue, but I'll just personally re-iterate that I find the idea of GOT even considering 'brownfacing' someone to play Oberyn pretty outrageous. James Purefoy is a fantastic actor, but he is clearly not a salty Dornishman. Huston (despite being mixed race) still clearly looks like King Richard, but for example Alexander Siddig or Cliff Curtis clearly wouldn't so I would be against 'whitefacing' them up and casting them as Richard. Thus, yes I object to POC being made up to look like whites, just like I object to whites being made up to look like POC.

Its brownface because Purefoy is not a salty Dornishman. Why would they need to do this when there are plenty of other great actors out there who both look the part and can act the role?

Purefoy might not have the Salty Dornish look now but he easily could with a little Hollywood magic: a vacation in the Caribbean and a bottle of Just for Men and *POOF*, you have Oberlyn! As far as getting other people to play the role, I'm not convinced it's such an easy thing. That Turk I posted about certainly looks bada$$ but I'm not sure he can even speak English much less act in anything aside from bad Turkish soap operas. If he has the acting chops I'd certainly consider him but I want the best person for the job, appearance is part of that but if that can be easily fixed it's not a problem for me.

The world we live in means that brownface and blackface are still used in the media to erase POC. Whiteface is a parody specifically designed to make fun of the use of blackface and brownface. They are so incredibly different that they are incomparable, and comparing them shows an ignorance of the suffering of POC

- Do you, or do you not advocate different standards for different people? It seems to me the above comment is an attempt to justify the use of double standards.

So we both agree that appearance is just as important as the quality of the performance, yes? In that case, an actor should definitely be ruled out if they don't look like the character. Purefoy looks NOTHING like Oberyn -- he doesn't look sly or racially different from the other people in Westeros, and THAT is why he can't play Oberyn.

Oberyn is a POC -- he's not simply "tanned". Whitewashing him would be racist.

1 - I said appearance is important, I did not say it was just as important.

2 - Regarding the Salty Dornish, the distinguishing features described in Oberlyn were his olive skin, his black eyes, and his dark hair. So, the character needs those attributes in order to be faithful to the description, they do not need to be "racially different", and if you could clarify for me exactly what that means I'd be grateful.

As I said earlier, is Hrithik Roshan racially different from Europeans? His facial structure is very common in Europe, he's just got a slight tan.

http://celebritiesexercise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hrithik-roshan-workout11.jpg

So, is selecting him as Oberlyn whitewashing?

ALways pictured a tanned George Clooney when I read the book! I think he would absolutely kill it!! He is the actor I picture with the right combo of Confidence, Cheekiness, Paternalism, Arrogance, etc... Hes got it! Maybe if hes a fan of the show he would do it.

You are all blazin`crazy with this "brownface" nonsense. Although today is the first time I have heard the expression, it is beyond a doubt referring to past decades where white actors exlusively were used to portray characters of other ethnicity, as Arabs, Native Americans etc. Today we don`t have this problem, so don`t try making a problem. What is still common, is altering the appearance and sometimes skin tone of actors, if it is necessary for the part, and the actor is right for the part. This is done ALL THE TIME. Look at Mark Strong-he is playing Arab in every other Movie. So don`t tell me James Purefoy putting on some foundation is "brownskinning"( even though I don`t like him for O.M. )This over-sensitive misunderstood anti-"racism" must stop, use your effort in cases when it is actually needed, R I D I C U L O U S!!!!!!!

Another could be Khaled El Nabawy http://www.starscolo...d-nabawy-01.jpg or Alexander Siddig http://en.wikipedia....5-jobeth-11.jpg

I like Siddig for the role. I think he could project a contained inner ferocity better than any of the other suggestions here. I cannot picture Banderas in the role - too fleshy, not lithe enough.

Colin Salmon perhaps could be a good shout for a cameo role as the Red Viper, seems like he could be brilliant for season 4. http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0758760/ Don't think he is too big for the role really as its only for one season most likely.

Don't think he is too "big" for the role in the way you mean. But I do think he is a too big for the role, quite literally. Salmon is 6ft 4 and very thick, not really how most picture the Red Viper.

I really think they could get a pretty well known actor for the role if they wanted to but personally I'd prefer someone I don't recognize too easily, it makes the show more immersive for myself at least. Olivier Martinez could be a great choice, although I always pictured the Dornish as Spanish so maybe I'm in the minority there.

Actually, I'm starting to like Naveen Andrews vs Oded Fehr and Alexander Siddig. Andrews is listed at 5'9", while Fehr is 6'2" or 6'3" and Siddig is 6'0". If you're filming a combat scene with The Mountain, who is closer to 8 feet tall than 7, but is being played by an actor that is around 7 feet tall, having a shorter actor like Andrews will really add to the contrast in sizes, I think. (Plus, shorter actors are often listed an inch or two taller than their real heights to make them more marketable...)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope James Purefoy never gets a role in a Game of Thrones simply because im sick of hearing his name on these forums.

But, if he never gets a role, he'll be speculated about until the end of the series for every open male role down the road - Oberyn Martell, Doran Martell, the Greyjoy brothers, Jon Connington, Hizdahr zo Lorac, Areo Hotah, Gerold Dayne, etc.

Archived