Things you wish you knew about minor characters (but probably never will)

louzeyre

Are we ever going to have a POV character go to Sothoryos so that we can learn more about it?

I highly doubt it. GRRM has said he doesn't subscribe to the idea that every place on the map must be visited by the end of the series.

And Xho isn't getting his kingdom back, it just won't happen.

I would like to know why Gregor Clegane was not married. He was one of Tywin Lannister's most trusted bannerman (which would imply he was rich), the head of a House sworn to the Lannisters and a fearsome warrior, one would think that would be enough to arrange a marriage for him. At the very least, you would think Gregor would want children to continue his lineage.

Gregor was a widower at the time of "A Game of Thrones", betrothed to be married. According to Eddard Stark: "Ned seldom put much stock in gossip, but the things said of Ser Gregor were more than ominous. He was soon to be married for the third time, and one heard dark whisperings about the deaths of his first wives." Then again rumors had it that Gregor was involved in the death of his sister "under queer circumstances", and of his father in a "hunting accident".

House Freys words should be something like "That's two silvers for you and one for your horse."

To add to Danelle's "What does Dickon think of Sam?" I'd be interested to find out what Randyll's done with him during the war. No way would he leave him with his mother, did he take him with him as his squire? We'd have seen him in the scene with Brienne at Maidenpool?

The Appendix to the "Feast of Crows" lists Dickon Tarly as "a young squire". In Maidenpool, Brienne sees a man deliver food to be used in the upcoming wedding of Dickon Tarly and Eleanor Mooton.

The Appendix to the "Dance with Dragons" lists Dickon as already married to Eleanor, so the wedding day has passed. Maidenpool is the last known location of Dickon.

Why is House Codd so hated in the Iron Islands?

Theon explains their reputation quite eloquently: "the men were said to be thieves and cowards, the women wantons (sluts) who bedded with their own fathers and brothers".

Apparently the Ironborn have a taboo about incest, the Codds do not.

I find myself particularly intrigued by Stark and Baratheon bannermen, and not even necessarily the ones who are more fleshed out and popular - I'm really intrigued by houses like Glover, Tallhart, Caron, etc. If we ever get to find out more about characters from those houses I'll be very happy.

Why is House Codd so hated in the Iron Islands?

Who was the Elder Brother at the Salt Pans, before he joined the church of the Seven?

I assume the Elder Brother at the Salt Pans is the knight who was in love with Elia and gave himself to the Faith when Elia married Rhaegar. Barristan and Dany speak about this before Dany's wedding.

I want to know Bronn's back story. He seems overly competent and clever to be just "low born scum."

I also want to know more about the mysterious Howland Reed. How did he and Ned get so tight? What has he been up to this whole time beyond sending his kids to Bran at Winterfell?

I assume the Elder Brother at the Salt Pans is the knight who was in love with Elia and gave himself to the Faith when Elia married Rhaegar. Barristan and Dany speak about this before Dany's wedding.

Well for straters they were talking about Rhaella, Dany's mother. And the knight who that was is most likely Bonifer Hasty.

There were a few theories about Elder Brother but I've forgotten them all.

Do you recall where this is mentioned?

ASOS, when Robb tells Catelyn he needs to make a new heir given the news of Sansa's marriage:

“No,” Catelyn agreed. “You must name another heir, until such time as Jeyne gives you a son.” She considered a moment. “Your father’s father had no siblings, but his father had a sister who married a younger son of Lord Raymar Royce, of the junior branch. They had three daughters, all of whom wed Vale lordlings. A Waynwood and a Corbray, for certain. The youngest . . . it might have been a Templeton, but . . .”

I want to know whether a Stark ever married a Targaryen.

I want to see the complete family trees of the Targaryens and the Starks, starting from the Conquest.

I would like to see all the descendants of Aegon The Conqueror accounted for. There are some who have fallen through the cracks – the most recent being Aegon V’s third son. And I would like to know who was Aenys I’s wife.

I would also like to know the whereabouts of Blackfyre, Dark Sister and Brightroar.

I would also like to know the whereabouts of Blackfyre, Dark Sister and Brightroar.

I'm sure we'll learn about Blackfyre certainly as Aegon (Fake or Not) is hanging around the Golden company, who obviously have a close relationship with the sword.

Dark Sister I'd expect to see as well, because it's the only sword Dany can realistically use. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Dany fan, and the idea of her going all Xena on us fills me with dread, but it would probably help her cause/image to have a Targ Valyrian sword on her hip. Plus BR was the last to use it (that we know of) and he's appeared, and he and we, at least suspect, they can do others in.

Archived