Best written chapters?

Mormont'sRaven

I stated this in a similar thread yesterday, but the Red and Purple Weddings are in a league of their own.

Theon's Ghost in Winterfell chapter is amazing. I also love Arianne's Princess in the Tower chapter. Sansa's final chapter in ASOS is also beautiful. Barristan Selmy's Kingbreaker chapter also warrants mention.

Hmmm, as a writer I need to distinguish 'my favourites' with 'best written' here. I know as a writer that certain chapters that are 'wow and amazing' are actually quite easy to write, because they don't require you to be too technical. The chapter when Tyrion kills Tywin would be such. There's not too much complicated setting or movement between places, or too much physical action. There's just lots of punchy dialogue, which is easy for a writer like GRRM.

The Red Wedding wasn't the best for me. I was confused by what was taking place at first. In fact, it was only on third read that I understood exactly why Robb suddenly had three arrows in his chest. The 'Rains of Castamere' reference needed to be spelt out more, as I didn't at the time suddenly think Lannister. I was also confused by who had turned against the Starks until second read through.

I would say the Tyrion chapter of Blackwater was better than Davos'. That had me hooked on a night flight when I should have been fast asleep.

Jaime's two dream sequences are amazing. It's not too difficult to get dream sequences right but they do have to be appropriately prophetic without being too obvious and too cheesy. I think these did that. The scene in the House of the Undying too -- it held my interest, when I had been skim reading other Dany scenes!

I think that the most compelling chapters were Theon/Reek. Last time we saw Theon he was King Balon's son and the Prince of Winterfell. A smug, arrogant Ironborn. Then three books later he is Reek, lacks fingers and toes, feeds from rats and is covered in excrement. GRRM managed to avoid creating Reek as a grotesque parody and instead Theon/Reek evolves as a deep, multidimensional character.

Also I liked Alayne's chapters. I had to remind myself that this was LF's daughter. When at some point Randa asks about her father I was thinking that Alayne has no father, Ned was beheaded but then Alayne replies, referring to LF and this is just weird.

Finally Tyrion's chapters in the Vale. Cat taking him to the Eyrie, him confronting Lysa, the Mountain clans. It was a wonderfull depiction of his character, his weakness and his greatest strength.

The introductory chapters in aGoT are particular - swift,concise yet rich.

But,I suspect I'll have many favourites once I begin the official rereading,as I call it :)

I tend to get goosebumps while reading Bran's chapters,it's the magic.

ASOS' epilogue is effective and autonomous,almost like a novella.

I also enjoyed AFFC's different pace in storytelling,and Arya and her Needle... Just splendid.

Arya in Harrenhal after Tywin has left, training in the godswood and then Weasel Soup happens. Very underrated chapter.

Jaime leaving Harrenhal, his nightmare, returns to Harrenhal, leaps into the bearpit to rescue Brienne because, "I dreamed of you."

Sansa tastes snow, doesn't remember falling down, builds Winterfell, gets practically molested by Littlefinger, then chastisted and almost killed by Lysa, only to be rescued by Littlefinger. "Only Cat."

Brienne's fight with Shagwell and the other Bloody Mummers, some of the best black humor in the series, and Brienne's travels with Septon Meribald, particularly his "broken men" speech.

Theon as an envoy to the ironborn in Moat Cailin, asking for forgiveness in the godswood, and the final chapter where he makes his escape with Jeyne. All the Reek/Theon chapters make Dance worthwhile, even if I do skip the Dany ones when I reread now.

I support the chapter in which Dany visits the House of the Undying. It's very hard to write compelling dreams/visions, because the writer needs to match the "unlogic" we associate with dreams, while still make sense.

In hindsight: all the chapters featuring Mormont's Raven.

Archived