Board Issues 2

Xray the Enforcer

Hello~ I am a member of the board and I've had this very odd problem before. Sorry to be any trouble. Anyway, for some reason I cannot log on to my account (user name is Miriel). It acts as if I do not have the correct password and when I ask it to email me a new one it won't send it to my email address (which if I recall correctly was the original problem about a year or so ago). As I said this happened once before and Ran was able to fix it so I am hoping it can be fixed again. So basically I rejoined under new name w/ a different email in order to post this.

Thanks very much!

Miriel

I wouldn't call it "often". But the fact is that the database is absurdly huge, and so certain maintenance routines have to be run with some regularity. The fastest way to get through them, however, is to actually close down the forum for a bit and run the maintenance manually; there are automated scripts that are supposed to handle it while the forum is still in use, but we've found that the amount of time they take leads to an eventual lockup of the site because we are indeed getting a lot of traffic.

Admittedly, the last couple of times I've done the manual shutdown and fix, I got distracted and ended up forgetting to put the forum back on once the routine was done. So, apologies for that.

WinterKing, Stannis, might you happen to be on the same ISP? There was an upstream issue with a wonky router not sending things through quite right to certain places, so that would have caused a slowdown between you and the site.

(FWIW, I'm working on setting up something that should allow us to handle next season much much better, but the new job kind of has eaten me a bit; I've been on business trips to the client's site and sort of buried in a milestone.)

Error 520

Web server is returning an unknown error

You

Browser

Working

Ashburn

CloudFlare

Working

asoiaf.westeros.org

Host

Error

This happend about 5 times in the early afternoon and now again, whenever I try to return from a topic to "new content". What's wrong?

-----

Just happend again, for 30 Seconds first time, almost two minutes the second time.

Looks like you have something cached in your history that shows the wrong page when there was a brief DNS issue earlier. I don't have that issue myself. Try clearing your browser cache to see if that helps.

On half of the pages that I go to in these forums (including pages I've never been to before, such as this one), my antivirus pops up saying that they just blocked malware from this site. This is from the security center details page:

URL: http://asoiaf.wester...g/index.php?app

Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\f...

Infection: HTML:Iframe-inf

My guess: one of your third-party ads is probably the culprit.

(incidentally, I just went in to edit this post, and I'm looking at another avast error right now).

(Edit #2: I just cleared my cache, reloaded this page, and the malware warning popped up again).

Please clear your cookies as well as your cache and history, and let me know if the issue persists.

Thanks very much for the report, it provides a little extra information on the puzzle of these pop-ups

I need my history. I did go through and manually clear out all the cookies I don't need, as well as clearing my cache a few times. I also changed, "Accept third-party cookies" from "visited" to "never." This will break every future attempt I make to use any Facebook comment plugins anywhere, but then again, that plugin NEVER works for me, so...

I just came back on, and since then, I have viewed my content page, as well as three threads including this one. Haven't had the avast message yet tonight.

Using Firefox 23.0.1.

:drool: Test

Well, that worked. I'm not sure why this is a problem, but possibly you need to clear your cache as some things may have changed in the way the emotes are implemented.

ETA: You're using the usual Westeros skin, right?

:drool: Test

Well, that worked. I'm not sure why this is a problem, but possibly you need to clear your cache as some things may have changed in the way the emotes are implemented.

ETA: You're using the usual Westeros skin, right?

It's not a problem with making them, look: :lol:

Some of the existing smilies have been converted into code.

Archived