Defiance

SpaceChampion

First trailer for Defiance, a new sf show on SyFy with MMO tie in. The show is set in St. Louis redubbed Defiance, and the game in SF Bay area.

7 alien cultures locked in a "universal" war. I'm guessing Defiance is neutral territory, like Babylon 5.... Can it be a tenth as good? Crossing my fingers.

Rockne S. O'Bannon's involvement makes me optimistic the background details will not be moronic at least. So there's that.

Comic-Con panel.

• 5 months later...

made two attempts to post on the thread and both failed. Defiance.

anyways, i initially dismissed it as it was by syfy and their current track record is awful and if it was a success they'd probably still can it in favour of some new distraction. The fact it's tied in my a computer game should make spurious cancellations less likely (as long as the game is a success).

I didn't know O'Bannon was involved. That has changed my opinion greatly as Farscape was brlliant. That alone buys this 3 episodes to win me over whereas I would have waited for positive word of mouth before going near it.

It looks better than other Syfy shows, but I am have no interest in the game.

I didn't know O'Bannon was involved. That has changed my opinion greatly as Farscape was brlliant. That alone buys this 3 episodes to win me over whereas I would have waited for positive word of mouth before going near it.

Yeah, Farcape nets this some good will on my part.

He still wants to do a Farscape film http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/39127/farscape-film-isnt-out-of-the-question-says-rockne-s-obannon/

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to search for this thread! The commercials have been running all week in Canada, since it starts on Monday. And Wikipedia has a page for it, giving the basic background and plot outline, a good read if you want to start watching. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(TV_series)

What caught my eye is the fact it's being filmed on a Toronto back lot in the east end. Most people in this part of the world will take this as an even deeper in-joke, that the destroyed Earth looks like Scarborough, fondly known as Scarberia to Torontonians. :P

Sadly, for some reason the original story I saw 2 days ago, showing pictures of the back lot, doesn't come up, only this one.

made two attempts to post on the thread and both failed. Defiance.

anyways, i initially dismissed it as it was by syfy and their current track record is awful and if it was a success they'd probably still can it in favour of some new distraction. The fact it's tied in my a computer game should make spurious cancellations less likely (as long as the game is a success).

This is my reason to be wary, that they'll give up after 2 years when some chachi with a ghost-sex-bachelor-wrestling pitch comes along. But, I'll still give it a whirl. I'm a masochist, I guess. The cancellation of SG:Universe still burns, precious. It burns us.

This is my reason to be wary, that they'll give up after 2 years when some chachi with a ghost-sex-bachelor-wrestling pitch comes along. But, I'll still give it a whirl. I'm a masochist, I guess. The cancellation of SG:Universe still burns, precious. It burns us.

Yeah. SG:U was great. Worse still it didn't even get some kind of tv movie resolution. I think part of the problem is that it was owned by MGM and they used to fund it being on air. When they went bankrupt it seems to have fallen by the wayside. A shame no one else has picked up the rights yet as the fact it endured so long as a tv show shows the franchise has legs - second only to Star Trek,

It looks better than other Syfy shows, but I am have no interest in the game.

Yeah, Farcape nets this some good will on my part.

He still wants to do a Farscape film http://www.scifinow....ckne-s-obannon/

And speaking of other missed shows here's another one that fell victim to syfy channel politics. At least we got a conclusion for it though. I think this is one series/world I'd love to see more of - especially with the cast. Which is odd as most other shows I'd like to see back would be mainly in the form of different characters in the same setting (eg Firefly). SGU doesn't count as that needs to be concluded first :)

Just watched the #2 trailer and I liked it. Damn nice design, they seem to have gotten a quite hefty budget from the looks of it. I will also give it 3 - 5 episodes and hopefully they make something good of it. The trailer definitely gave me a blooded tooth as we call it.

It was alright, I guess, not realy impressed but I will give it a few more weeks at least. The CGI is understandably poor but better than what Syfy usually has, unfortunately even the make-up and prosthetics were kind of off in a lot of areas. Those dog/orangutan people in particular looked pretty bad.

I don't think I have lofty expectations for scifi shows, I just don't want to waste my time on series' that SUCK. BSG was great IMO, Firefly was freaking awesome of course, but i've tried to watch Stargate (gag me), I find Dr. Who to be extremely moronic, and I haven't found anything else that has come close. I might try this. I do watch Revolution, if that counts, but that's really mostly a Post-apocalyptical show, so I put that in a different category along with the Walking Dead.

I love MMOs but I absolutely can't let myself play a game right now. I don't have time for it.

I did not anything done with Stargate. I didn't like the movie and I didn't like the original series. One day last year I decided to watch the pilot for SGU because of Robert Carlyle. I quickly watched every single SGU episode made. It has become one of my top 10 favorite series.

I did not anything done with Stargate. I didn't like the movie and I didn't like the original series. One day last year I decided to watch the pilot for SGU because of Robert Carlyle. I quickly watched every single SGU episode made. It has become one of my top 10 favorite series.

Atlantis was actually pretty good by about season 2. Then again I enjoyed SG-1 although that was the most episodic of the series. It did however show actual progression of mankind using the tech they were finding so that by the end of the series they had their own interstellar battleships which i thought was pretty cool for a contemporary show.

Syfy UK is showing this tonight so I'll try and watch it live. It's not often they screen things so close to the US but I guess with the internet it's becoming a case of "air it or people will watch it online".

This is almost me. I did like the movie (it was fun). But, I found the first series (SG-1?) unwatchable. I couldn't get into Atlantis. Just too many goofy, campy people bungling around. Always the guy there for the comic relief. Always the doctor or the engineer having to make wisecracks. Just too formula-Trek imho, and not good Trek, but kind of "bleh" Trek. Trek has already covered some of this ground in terms of presentation and you just get tired of it.

Then, I thought, "Okay, what the hell?" I keep seeing SG: Universe in my YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS deal on Netflix. So, I tried it, telling myself, "This is going to suck. It just is."

And it didn't suck. They had the ship roles, like genius that's funny (Eli) but he's not a bumbling moron in all other things. No doctor, but a nurse (EMT?), TJ, who has to bust ass to figure things out. Darker feel. More urgent. More real and tangible. It never felt like Stargate to me, except for the gates and such.

And Robert Carlyle was utterly phenom in this. http://youtu.be/ucH6...H6qhWpUJY (may include minor spoilers, but you'll probably forget by the time you watch the series).

The episode "Epilogue" was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in science fiction television.

Just realised has something going for it other than the O'Bannon connection. It's the only sci-fi show (in terms of aliens and not being in a contemporary setting) on TV at the moment. I honestly can't think of one other than Dr Who and that's contemporary because of the companions and constant dropping in on present day.

So far, I think I can tell which parts are written by the TV guys and which parts are suggested by the game designers.

That was one of the problems I had with it, some parts seemed a little too video game-y. Even the characters seemed one dimesnional like video game character, granted it is only one episode and they could hopefully flesh them out beyond well worn "types".

I thought it was good. I think the one bit of really bad CGI was at the end, with the floating hexagons making up the user interface

Besides that, it was low budget but still acceptable. I liked the character interaction, reminded me of DS9 which was my favorite Star Trek.

I thought it was good. I think the one bit of really bad CGI was at the end, with the floating hexagons making up the user interface

Besides that, it was low budget but still acceptable. I liked the character interaction, reminded me of DS9 which was my favorite Star Trek.

Heresy! Thou shalt not takest thy name of DS9 in vain! I was not going to check it out until you compared it favorably to DS9... now, I may have to.

Archived