Defiance

SpaceChampion

it'll be the best show ever if leeroy jenkins becomes a character.

extra: lvl 65 irath LFG!

nolan: wtf? <shoots>

extra: zomg! <dies>

#LOL

I like how they are tying in the game and the show. The game can help direct the shifts in the global politics, which can in turn inform plots on the show.

A mistake would be to make something in the show render something accomplished by the player's [players] as meaningless. Similarly, no one in the game should be able to kill major characters in the show.

You're right, for some reason I always think of that as contemporary in a Walking dead sense but I guess it's set in the immediate future or parallel to our own.

Does the game build on the show in the sense of the world building? Who do you play in the game? I'm guessing it's not any of the characters from the show.

The game does build a better sense of the world. Sort of. I mean, its still an FPS. So lots of shooting. But the shooting is actually a great deal of fun, especially during Arkfalls. The Arkfalls happen randomly, and fairly regularly, and by engaging in them a player can get good experience and decent loot. There's also something magical, despite the occasional lag issues, of seeing 30 or 40 people drop ordinance on spawning alien bugs or robots. You play your own dude, or dudette, in the game.

The game's quite expensive isn't it? Otherwise I might have given it a go.

Expensive as opposed to what...every other game? It's 60 bucks for most new games when coming from a large publisher.

I think the problem with the cross over idea of a game character being in the show is this is an FPS game, not a strict RPG MMO. There is no real sense of community. Everyone shows up at the Arkfalls and shoots shit, and then buggers off. Their cross over idea is to have a time frame in game where the person with the most points in that time gets on the show. Something like that. Which is a neat idea, but nothing really special.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so dude respawned, pwned some n00bs, and then got ganked again anyway?

Pretty much. I liked the episode, though I'll admit how razor rain worked wasn't really clear.

I think the hookup in the closing part of the episode seemed a little far fetched given how much danger they potentially put themselves in. I know there was alcohol involved but still felt like a reach.

I'm continually impressed by the ambition of this show. I'm not sure why. It should maybe do less than it does but i find myself enjoying it for what it is.

It gets an "A" for effort even if the execution isn't entirely there. Still hoping this is all groundwork we are seeing and that the pay-off will be later this season or in the already greenlit second.

I liked the episode, though I'll admit how razor rain worked wasn't really clear.

As apposed to the respawning, which was explained fully...It was the nanobots! duh! :P

It gets an "A" for effort even if the execution isn't entirely there. Still hoping this is all groundwork we are seeing and that the pay-off will be later this season or in the already greenlit second.

Agreed. I enjoy the show, but I wouldn't really call it good yet. I guess it's normal for SF shows with new universes / aliens to spend some time lying the groundwork. Hopefully they can can take it to that next level at some point (relatively soon).

He doesn't appear to be completely dead yet. I imagine he's going to show up as the end boss in the raid instance season finale, wherein numerous less reliable cast members will lose their lives having failed to move out of nanobot fire patches spawning on the ground.

Yes, he was moving his mouth at the end. Not sure if that was a mistake or if to show that he isn't dead.

Agreed. I enjoy the show, but I wouldn't really call it good yet. I guess it's normal for SF shows with new universes / aliens to spend some time lying the groundwork. Hopefully they can can take it to that next level at some point (relatively soon).

It does take many Scifi shows a full season + to find their stride, but with the amount of money, the really good cast, and time to make this and the game? they should have had it all worked out.

Yes, he was moving his mouth at the end. Not sure if that was a mistake or if to show that he isn't dead.

It does take many Scifi shows a full season + to find their stride, but with the amount of money, the really good cast, and time to make this and the game? they should have had it all worked out.

the show is lucky that it has such strong backing. Maybe the game warrants at least two seasons. It's good to see a show being given a chance to hit its stride as they'd usually be canned 7 episodes in. A shame it doesn't happen with other shows - maybe game tie-ins are the way forward for these types of shows? I can only imagine how much fun Farscape or Babylon 5 could have been with a tie-in game -I'd have loved to play a B5 starfury on missions that corresponded with episodes.

I like this. Haven't even heard of this game angle, but still like it. Yeah, the execution is dodgy at times (some of the dialogue is tinny, the pacing of individual episodes can be wobbly, a few characters are a touch eh, especially Nolan and Arissa) but it's put some interesting balls in the air and I like the sheer SF scale of the worldbuilding, even if it hasn't been explained in too much detail. I guess I missed aliens more than I knew. Also, i've really liked the songs they use on the closing montages, so far. The slow versions of Come As You Are and Have You Ever Seen The Rain were neat.

I've watched the first 7 Episodes in quick succession. Not great TV but I enjoying it for what it is.

Of course I like to support an international TV show in a genre I like with a New Zealander playing the main character.

Not sure why I haven't taken that approach with True Blood, something rubs me up the wrong way with that show. I gave it a try but it just doesn't work for me.

last episode was fairly solid. Nice to see the guy from SG:U turn up and the implication that the votans did not come in peace. The doctor is becoming more and more interesting.

The plague at the end. Is that the work of "mr hat" or is it the doctor distracting them? Or does the fake captain a biological weapon as he was in close contact with that reporter.

Is the show deliberately trying to see how many times we have to double-check whether Daytak's wife is nude or not? It's getting kind of ridiculous.

The show is either growing on me or actually getting better as it goes along. I suspect if i check writing credits things may become more clear.

Archived