Could Stannis bend the knee to a Targaryen?

Ser TargFinger

aegon and the golden company would make for an interesting ally, though a marriage for shireen would probably seal the deal. I dont think dany would allow her to take precedence should she have her own children which would turn stannis away. the church of rhilor would dissolve his current marriage i do not doubt.as for jon i think its a different plan.

stannis as king makes a gift of the remaining north to the nights watch(stannis gift). he and a thousand knights and fighting men take the black. stannis now has enough votes to ensure his own election as lord commander. jon agrees to this as after the successful campaign at winterfell hes demonstrated he is the best commander in the fight to come. the watch trades a king(stannis) to release a king(jon) jon marrys dany shireen marries bran(the cripple and the leper) crackpot but it makes sense

Its simple really. In the beginning there were Starks ruling the North, Lannisters in the west, ironborn in the riverlands and isles, Martells in Dorne, Arryns in the Vale and a Storm King in SE. These were all lawful rulers. Then the Targs came and took over the lands and ruled for 300 years. Then one was too batshit insane so many of the realms rebelled and Robert Baratheon became the lawful king. Stannis is now his lawful heir and so the rule is his by law, hence why he wants it. Aegon was as much a usurper as Robert. Stannis wont kneel because he shouldnt

I am new and this is my first post. This has probably been brought up loads of times but I figured I would anyway.

Is there any chance that Stannis could bend the knee to a Targaryen i.e. Dany or Aegon (if he's legit)? I wonder this given his tendency towards strictly following the law etc.

only infront of jon if melisandre convince him that he is the true lightbringer.. stannis will calm down if jon agree to marry his daughter

i dont think stannis cares for dany and aegon.

I think he would... he is a man of honor and duty, and justice...

I think he would recognize them as the rigthfull heirs (due to their armies and numbers) but even if he did, he would still be 3rd in line to the throne anyway...

Aegon would be the rightful heir, Dany after him, then because of Stannis' grandmother being the sister to Jaehaerys II, he would be 3rd, his daughter being 4th...

I'm gonna say there is no claim. Westeros seem to go by "might is right". Whoever takes the throne is the rightful King or Queen. Nobody is entitled to the throne or has a claim, not Stannis, not Dany, not Aegon VI, nobody. Whoever gets the throne is the right one.

On topic, I don't think Stannis will bend the knee. He took part in the usurping of the Iron Throne so as far as he's concerned the Targs will just have to get with his program, move out the way or be destroyed.

Honestly I hope he gets runned over by Dorne, Tyrells, or Aegon VI. I don't like that Rhllor agenda that's following his campaign.

I'd say there is a chance, albeit a small chance, that Stannis at some point will bend the knee to a Targaryen. Since the possible circumstances I can think of already have been covered, I feel no need to take this further.

I have one thing I'd like to add though: why is everyone thinking Stannis will want to/will have to take the black? Not only is he the rightful heir to Storms End and the Stormlands, but he has always longed for it ever since Robert gave it to Renly. If Stannis would bend the knee to someone he would of course remain loyal to them whether they'd give him anything in return or not, but it couldn't hurt getting on his good side. He might not have fought Roberts decision to give SE to Renly but he definitely held a grudge against him for it. Now Dany might not be able to see past his roll in the rebellion but I see no reason why Aegon, or if not him, atleast Jon, would force Stannis to take the black while SE stands without a lord.

Stannis has already bent the knee to Jon, he just doesn't know it yet... Jon pretty much gave commands to Stannis on how to take back the North. Everything Stannis has done in the North so far has been what Jon told him to do.

That's because Stannis is smart enough to recognize good advice from a man that knows the North better than himself. Bending the knee has nothing to do with it. Jon was advising Stannis and not commanding him. And Stannis will NOT bend to anyone, he'll win or break.

Also the Baratheons are seen as the royal family. The only reason that Stannis is on the throne is because people believe Tommen (and Joff before him) is a Baratheon with a better claim. And the only only weak part of Stannis' rightful claim is that he can't prove that Tommen is not a Baratheon.

Well, technically he wouldn't have to bend the knee if he was the 1000th Lord Commander of the watch, the one that drives the others back to the land of always winter. His whole description (grim, breaks before he bends etc.) sound so much more like a Lord Commander than a king. Also, there is a huge advantage for him: He wouldn't have to share the bed with the bearded lady.

Stannis would hate Dany.

Man now I'm wondering what a conversation between these two would go like...Im gonna go out on a limb and guess it'd start off something like this...

Dany: ARGGGGGHHHHHHH GONNA TAKE WHATS MINE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD BURNING AND DRAGONS RAWWWWWWWRRRRRR!

Stannis: [insert amazing one liner only GRRM could come up with here]

Man now I'm wondering what a conversation between these two would go like...Im gonna go out on a limb and guess it'd start off something like this...

Dany: ARGGGGGHHHHHHH GONNA TAKE WHATS MINE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD BURNING AND DRAGONS RAWWWWWWWRRRRRR!

Stannis: Abomination!

I just love the way he says it, nothing to do with Dany.

it would be the verbal equivelant to the scene in Indiana Jones where the final huge attacker approaches indy in the Bazzar roaring and smacking flesh in a obvious display of his strength. Indy looks, acesses and shoots him.

I'd say there is a chance, albeit a small chance, that Stannis at some point will bend the knee to a Targaryen. Since the possible circumstances I can think of already have been covered, I feel no need to take this further.

I have one thing I'd like to add though: why is everyone thinking Stannis will want to/will have to take the black? Not only is he the rightful heir to Storms End and the Stormlands, but he has always longed for it ever since Robert gave it to Renly. If Stannis would bend the knee to someone he would of course remain loyal to them whether they'd give him anything in return or not, but it couldn't hurt getting on his good side. He might not have fought Roberts decision to give SE to Renly but he definitely held a grudge against him for it. Now Dany might not be able to see past his roll in the rebellion but I see no reason why Aegon, or if not him, atleast Jon, would force Stannis to take the black while SE stands without a lord.

because stannis holds no lands. aegon has taken storms end and no one is truly sure the status of dragonstone. hes basicly in the same leauge as the bwb just with a larger army.

and stannis doesnt need to take the black. the king be it aegon dany or tommen simply says that he is supposed to (hes already at the wall) and the next time he tries to come south , off with his head. even better would be to spread the rumor that he already has taken it after the battle at blackwater. its a lie that would ring true to stannis' sense of justice.

Archived