Could Stannis bend the knee to a Targaryen?

Ser TargFinger

Man now I'm wondering what a conversation between these two would go like...Im gonna go out on a limb and guess it'd start off something like this...

Dany: ARGGGGGHHHHHHH GONNA TAKE WHATS MINE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD BURNING AND DRAGONS RAWWWWWWWRRRRRR!

Stannis: [insert amazing one liner only GRRM could come up with here]

Something like this?

"I will not be mocked to my face, do you hear me? I will not!"

Stannis has already bent the knee to Jon, he just doesn't know it yet... Jon pretty much gave commands to Stannis on how to take back the North. Everything Stannis has done in the North so far has been what Jon told him to do.

what? He did not command stannis he gave him advice and the lay of the land. Stannis is not from the North and is an alien there so of course he would heed wise words when they are spoken.

Seems like I'm the only person, certainly the only Stannis fan, who thinks he could very well accept another as king or queen IF there is a good reason to do so.

What qualifies as a good reason? Necessity to confront the Others. A dynastic claim will not do.

Stannis has always been a hypocrite in terms of asserting that he is the rightful heir; whilst acknowledging that Rob was a Usurper (Renly reminds him of this) and ignoring the Targ claiments. Their absence has meant that he hasn't needed to make the decision and at any rate the decision always meant going against his family. With Rob and Renly dead; he now won't have to choose between his family and the rightful monarchs. However, he will not bend the knee. I'am 100% certain that he will label Aegon a fraud and given his established dislike of women in general; won't accept that a woman can ever be Queen. I think it will just come down to Stannis being sexist, even to the point of ignoring the letter of the law that, in the absence of male heirs, Dany is rightful Queen as the last descendent in the male Targ line.

I was quite surprised that the Company noble with JC suggested allying with Stannis. Oh, yeah, Stannis is not going to support a King who declares war on him by stealing Storms End. So thats Aegon off the list straight away.

Stannis simply won't give in. There's nothing in his character that suggests it's even a possibility. Aegon the Conquerer could come thundering back to Westeros in a time-travelling dalorean, and Stannis would grind his teeth and tell him to come back with dragons and pry a claim to the throne from his smoldering dead hands.

Robert was King. Stannis is Robert's lawful heir. Stannis is King. That's the only math Stannis abides by. Once becoming a king, he will never abdicate, because he's the -rightful king- in his view. He didn't want to be king, so damned be anyone who's going to try to make him give up his obligation after he's gone through so damn much for it.

Stannis has always been a hypocrite in terms of asserting that he is the rightful heir; whilst acknowledging that Rob was a Usurper (Renly reminds him of this) and ignoring the Targ claiments...ignoring the letter of the law that, in the absence of male heirs, Dany is rightful Queen as the last descendent in the male Targ line.

Excuse me, but it is certainly not that straight forward. House Baratheon are the royal family of Westeros, they deposed House Targaryen by right of conquest and all the noble Houses of the Seven Kingdoms swore fealty to King Robert, (just like Aegon the Conqueror deposed the Lannisters, Arryns, Gardeners, Durrendons, Hoares and Starks from kingship through right of conquest). The Targaryens forfeited rulership by fleeing into exile (Dany makes an ironically similar ruling against a slaver woman while holding court in Meeren). Stannis is King Bob's rightful heir, therefore he is correct in asserting that he is the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms and not a hypocrite. Dany is welcome to re-press House Targaryen's claim to the Iron Throne through reconquest, but until then House Baratheon are the royal family of the Seven Kingdoms and Stannis is the rightful king.

He's not gonna bend the knee, willingly at least, its Stannis. But the better question would be who will be the one to bend Stannis' knee?

HAHAHAHA, good joke bro.

Stannis simply won't give in. There's nothing in his character that suggests it's even a possibility. Aegon the Conquerer could come thundering back to Westeros in a time-travelling dalorean, and Stannis would grind his teeth and tell him to come back with dragons and pry a claim to the throne from his smoldering dead hands.

Robert was King. Stannis is Robert's lawful heir. Stannis is King. That's the only math Stannis abides by. Once becoming a king, he will never abdicate, because he's the -rightful king- in his view. He didn't want to be king, so damned be anyone who's going to try to make him give up his obligation after he's gone through so damn much for it.

:agree: This. So much THIS. Stannis is a fucking boss and won't bend to anyone.

As I said earlier it depends on how it's handled. If it's an outright demand for obedience. No. He won't.

But an alliance, marriage or merger he might consider it. Stannis seems to treat and negotiate with the Iron Bank's representative quite well. The Targaryans don't owe him anything so he might broker an alliance.

I think if say the Archon of Tyrosh offered his fleet and army, in exchange for help securing the Stepstones or to help him fight Lys or Myr. Stannis might be willing to make that deal.

Excuse me, but it is certainly not that straight forward. House Baratheon are the royal family of Westeros, they deposed House Targaryen by right of conquest and all the noble Houses of the Seven Kingdoms swore fealty to King Robert, (just like Aegon the Conqueror deposed the Lannisters, Arryns, Gardeners, Durrendons, Hoares and Starks from kingship through right of conquest). The Targaryens forfeited rulership by fleeing into exile (Dany makes an ironically similar ruling against a slaver woman while holding court in Meeren). Stannis is King Bob's rightful heir, therefore he is correct in asserting that he is the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms and not a hypocrite. Dany is welcome to re-press House Targaryen's claim to the Iron Throne through reconquest, but until then House Baratheon are the royal family of the Seven Kingdoms and Stannis is the rightful king.

:D :D :D

You actually think that pathetic socially inept loser is King by right? I'll admit that Stannis can be funny, but doesn't make him King.

:D :D :D

More so than a petty, arrogant, self-entitled idiot, yes.

:dunno:

Stannis is most definetly those things. The man gnashes his teeth like a dog all the time whenever he gets mad.

Dany was an orphan who had nothing most of her life. Stannis thinks that being brother to a drunken Usurper who stole the throne makes him the legit King. Hes a grown man who bitches about how he never got his due and thinks these were slights against him. When in fact he was one of the greatest lords in the realm, sat the council and controlled the Royal Fleet. He, is, a , loser. Why do you think the HBO show had to tone down Stannis outbursts to make him more respectable? Because on screen a grown man behaving that way would look beyond pathetic. A fourteen year old girl doing it is okay and Dany did suffer as a kid because of the Usurpers; her being pissed is understandable. Stannis is in his 40s and has not remotely suffered enough to warrent his childish outbursts.

Stannis is most definetly those things. The man gnashes his teeth like a dog all the time whenever he gets mad.

Gnashing =/= Grinding.

Dany was an orphan who had nothing most of her life. Stannis thinks that being brother to a drunken Usurper who stole the throne makes him the legit King.

No, Stannis thinks that being brother to the king the realm recognised as king makes him king. And, you know, Stannis was also an orphan.

Hes a grown man who bitches about how he never got his due and thinks these were slights against him.

Which is all true.

He, is, a , loser. Why do you think the HBO show had to tone down Stannis outbursts to make him more respectable? Because on screen a grown man behaving that way would look beyond pathetic. A fourteen year old girl doing it is okay and Dany did suffer as a kid because of the Usurpers; her being pissed is understandable. Stannis is in his 40s and has not remotely suffered enough to warrent his childish outbursts.

Yep, and I'm sure HBO also included Ros's vagina every 10 minutes to make the show more respectable.

You actually think that pathetic socially inept loser is King by right? I'll admit that Stannis can be funny, but doesn't make him King.

Nonetheless, the quote from King Daemon Blackfyre demonstrates that his claim is strong and that he can scarcely be called a hypocrite for pursuing it.

Sadly, one of the weaknesses of the feudal system is that the personal qualities of the king are immaterial to his right to be king.

As for the OP question, Stannis says that the decision to turn against the Targaryens was a very tough one. I could see that under exactly the right circumstances he might consider offering his allegiance to them again. The circumstances would have to be exactly right though, or he would indeed break before bending to them.

Gnashing =/= Grinding.

No, Stannis thinks that being brother to the king the realm recognised as king makes him king. And, you know, Stannis was also an orphan.

He lost his father. You're not an orphan unless both parents die and at any rate he lived the life of a priviliged great Lord. Dany was cast out onto the streets, alone and essentially a beggar. An orphan in a literal sense.

Gnashing=grinding. Semantics. A grown man does not have temper tantrums like that.

The HBO show makes him much more respectable. In the Dragon tower chamber where he doesn't start ranting about how everyone abused him and when he meets Renly he doesn't draw his sword screaming "I will not be spoken to my face like that!". In the show Stannis comes across as a reserved, but cool, confident character who has more of the right of it than Renly; even putting Cat in her place. This is very different to the portrayel in the books wheres hes all but raving about how he was bullied at school.

He lost his father. You're not an orphan unless both parents die and at any rate he lived the life of a priviliged great Lord. Dany was cast out onto the streets, alone and essentially a beggar. An orphan in a literal sense.

Gnashing=grinding. Semantics. A grown man does not have temper tantrums like that.

The HBO show makes him much more respectable. In the Dragon tower chamber where he doesn't start ranting about how everyone abused him and when he meets Renly he doesn't draw his sword screaming "I will not be spoken to my face like that!". In the show Stannis comes across as a reserved, but cool, confident character who has more of the right of it than Renly; even putting Cat in her place. This is very different to the portrayel in the books wheres hes all but raving about how he was bullied at school.

Both Steffon and Cassandra were killed in Shipbreaker Bay. Stannis explains this as the reason he is not a godly man.

And? They changed his character. They change a lot of characters. You don't know why they did it. I don't. Only they do. They might've done it because they thought book Stannis was too perfect for all we know.

Archived