Arya's Destiny?

Lady Wylla Manderly

This is not an Arya-analysing thread. And I'm sorry if this has been posted before, feel free to kick my arse and call me a douche if that's the case xD

Seeing as how there are many people who can be considered as "old timers" and many more people who've digested the books so carefully and accurately... I wanted to hear you guys' theories about how do you think Arya will end up.

I've a feeling like she will return to Westeros at some point, but who knows with GRRM.

Your thoughts?

To keep it short

I think she will kill someone very important and be killed before the end of the story.

The lone wolf dies , the pack survives.

She could be on her way to the Wall right now if she chose to reunite with Jon. She has decided to stay on her dark path and remain a lone wolf.

I really hope her destiny isn't to stay with the faceless men and become no one and since I think that'd be pretty poor storytelling I don't think it will be. I also agree she'll go to Westeros again, I think she'll meet her family (Sansa and/or Jon would be my guess) and Nymeria again but by the end I don't think we'll see her become a lady or settle anywhere, even Winterfell.

Edit:

I think she'll train with whoever Izembaro is, be sent as an apprentice on an important kill and leave the faceless men at that point.

My theory is the important kill might be Daenerys who I can believe it'd be easy to get a child close to, I don't think she'll follow through with it and reveal she's Arya instead (which'll force Dany to deal with the truth about the Starks, hopefully with Barristan around) and will end up going to Westeros when Daenerys invades. I think there's a good chance she'll be leaving the Faceless Men on bad terms and so she'll never be able to stay in Winterfell again or be a lady because then she'd be easy to find but she doesn't want a ladylike life and that'll suit her. GRRM being GRRM I'm kind of worried Nymeria might die protecting Arya from a FM assassination.

I think she'll use her skills from the faceless men to take revenge on the people that hurt her family, in fact one of my favourite ideas for Dream of Spring's epilogue is that it'll be Littlefinger's point of view in Harrenhal having schemed his way through everything and held onto power until Arya comes for him.

I really hope it isn't to stay with the faceless men and become noone and since I think that'd be pretty poor storytelling I don't think it will be. I also agree she'll go to Westeros again, I think she'll meet her family again (Sansa or Jon) but I don't think we'll see her become a lady or settle anywhere, even Winterfell.

I don't see her "settling down" either. There is a great thread on this blog around somewhere that draws attention to Arya&Bran's journey's parallels and they are uncanny. And if you think about it, they're the two Stark's who have a "higher purpose" (so to speak) so they might not return - and if they do, they would not stay.

Of course the simple, direct part of me wants her to live happily after after in Winterfell with her little brothers, but I don't see it. I think she'd be far too restless.

I think Arya is going to do something in Westeros. Something that requires her newly learned skills. I also think warging will have a role to play because why else put it in her story? Perhaps Nymeria has a larger role to play later on too. Perhaps Arya will encounter other characters like Tyrion or Dany along the way. That would be interesting. I dont think she will return to Westeros and out the fact that Jeyne is pretending to be her. We already have Theon to do that. My personal headcanon says she might end up joining Jon on his next adventures....somehow...

I do hope Arya has a happy ending though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the series end with the Others defeated, the King's Peace restored, all is well that ends well...

...Until Arya, as a Faceless (wo)Man, kills whoever ends up on the Iron Throne; meaning the series ends with the entire cyclus about to repeat itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the series end with the Others defeated, the King's Peace restored, all is well that ends well...

...Until Arya, as a Faceless (wo)Man, kills whoever ends up on the Iron Throne; meaning the series ends with the entire cyclus about to repeat itself.

That's very pessimistic. That being said, it's GRRM, so I wouldn't be surprised at all xD

The only thing that holds me back is that the title of the last book is "A Dream of Spring." That means they'd be still in winter. I guess?i

I also found GRRM's response very interesting when someone asked him if FM was under a contract to kill the dragons. He said "Not yet." For some reason, I feel like Arya's future will revolve around this plot.

Arya is not the Lone Wolf, she is the Night Wolf. She literally has a pack through Nymeria, and wherever she goes she seems to acquire a new pack, even if it's a pack of one, like Sandor. Her current pack is one of the scariest damn packs in that universe, which is, I think, one of the reasons she feels safe there. Arya's survived in a war zone and I believe she will continue to do so.

If you've read the gift chapter, it looks like some important pieces of Westeros are going to Braavos, she might not even have to leave that city to make an impact on the main stories.

I don't believe for a minute that Arya will get close to Dany or the dragons.

I do believe that her ultimate fate will be unconventional, and that she'll either be the Lady of Winterfell, as in boss, not baby machine, or she'll leave Westeros for good. I don't see her playing second fiddle to anyone, and no one is going to force Arya into a marriage she doesn't want, that's for damn sure. She may not even identify herself as Arya Stark and leave Jeyne to that misery.

(I'd like to see her jumping on Asha's ship and having girl-pirate adventures, but that's just silliness on my part.)

I have this headcanon where Arya challenges everyone who asks for her hand in a swordfight. If they win, they can marry her. And no one does xP

I like it!

If Arya ever marries it will either be to someone really spectacular or someone she can dominate completely. "You stupid!"

Why so sure?

I'm trying to think of any other characters the faceless men might send her after but none of the others feel as right. Or do you just not agree with my sent as an apprentice on an important kill idea for her leaving the faceless men? I really can't see them just letting her leave and I can't see her turning on them while she's still in Braavos.

Damn, pretty dark but I like it, don't think it'd be as satisfying as Arya killing Littlefinger as an ending but it'd be a nice twist to end on, maybe if Daenerys goes mad. I'd much rather it was Arya killing them for her own reasons rather than Arya becoming no one and getting hired though.

Whatever I may say on Arya may appear eulogistic, for she is my favorite character. So be warned. :ack:

Arya mastered blindness at a record speed, and even named her abuser - which prompts her return of sight. The Kindly Old Man tells her a woman gives life, not take it, so the order does not usually take women. It doesn't take long for that to change for she is given her first assignment and completes it. She never meets another FM/woman among the weirdo glamored people she serves when the moon is black, either. Just the Waif, who also has powers, but who has not yet changed her face, unless we count Arya saying that she reminded her of a girl she used to know named Wease. (And that's another story and thesis.)

Arya wields a knife like a street thug on the make pickpocketing; she has skills as a water dancer; she has learned to speak many languages: and she has learned the art of caring for the dead with respect and humility; she also learns to lie and master her face. (Someone should have those plaintiffs and defenders on the random court shows read Arya's lesson on how to control one's facial reactions. Judge Judy would be out of a job for she can read a lie as good as any FM).

Also, Martin says that Arya can spot a glamor easily, which I think is an advanced skill. (Smoke and mirrors: I have seen Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid live on Broadway, and I still do not know how Disney played their special effects. A disembodied Chip is pushed on a cart across the stage, talking to Mrs. Potts. The Beast rises to the ceiling and transforms into the Prince right before our eyes; the rose under glass magically loses its petals throughout the show; hungry wolves emerge from the stage floor, or hell, and chase Bell and then dad across the stage; in Mermaid, the stage is the ocean, like the face of an aquarium, and Ariel swims across, to the surface, and even rescues her love from the bottom of the sea and carries him to the top of the stage, wagging her fish tail. See - smoke and mirrors. Disney copyrights their special effects, so I can only speculate on how they do their tricks).

Arya never even looks in her Myrish mirror because all she would see is Arya Stark, or No One, not the Ugly Girl. She can see through the glamor.No one at the Wall sees through Mel's glamour, so Arya already has mastered certain deception skills.

If Arya had been there, she would have seen the truth of Mel’s glamour.

Her magic is strong, and with her Stark blood and her warging skills, I do not think the FM will drop her from their roll call anytime soon.

I think with the time that has passed, she has learned an amazing amount of knowledge and skill. She has "book smarts" and the physical aspect. Martin describes how built she is from her work on the docks with Taganaro and family. She carries and drags the dead around. Arya is buff. Martin doesn't use my words, but he infers that she has built up muscle mass.

She still has work to do - which I think will take her to the mummers at the Happy Port or elsewhere. She now has to learn to ACT with her new faces intact! She can wear ther masks, but all actors in costume cannot perform a standing O without some training. She will become mummer.

I also think that Martin has described the Mummers quite well for a reason, and Arya once called Hoat’s group “Bloody Mummers”, so it will be ironic for her to be one of them.

Izembaro may be a stage manager, a director, or an actor – but she needs to learn ensemble work.

As for futher speculation, and this is crack pot: Jaqen is connected to BR and the old gods – he had red and white hair and made Arya swear in a heart tree.

Jaqen as Pate is at the Citadel, searching for something, maybe. Or perhaps he wants the glass candle and a book Sam brought from the Wall, that same book on dragons that Tyrion was reading in GoT. If the FM can get their own dragon, they have a little Stark warg who can skinchange, and an agent of a Targ/Stark alliance in Bran and BR, so Jaqen will ride the dragon.

But Arya is my favorite character. She is spunky, and I hope she survives, or has a good death. Just my conjecture. :dunno:

Also, Martin says that Arya can spot a glamor easily, which I think is an advanced skill. (Smoke and mirrors: I have seen Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid live on Broadway, and I still do not know how Disney played their special effects. A disembodied Chip is pushed on a cart across the stage, talking to Mrs. Potts. The Beast rises to the ceiling and transforms into the Prince right before our eyes; the rose under glass magically loses its petals throughout the show; hungry wolves emerge from the stage floor, or hell, and chase Bell and then dad across the stage; in Mermaid, the stage is the ocean, like the face of an aquarium, and Ariel swims across, to the surface, and even rescues her love from the bottom of the sea and carries him to the top of the stage, wagging her fish tail. See - smoke and mirrors. Disney copyrights their special effects, so I can only speculate on how they do their tricks).

I was always insanely curious about this part, to be honest. If she can see past glamour, I wonder how she didn't make remarks about Jaqen's "face"? Or did GRRM means like "Now that she knows what's what, she can distinguish between the real face and the glamour."

GRRM PLS. What does it meaaaan?

Arya is not the Lone Wolf, she is the Night Wolf. She literally has a pack through Nymeria, and wherever she goes she seems to acquire a new pack, even if it's a pack of one, like Sandor. Her current pack is one of the scariest damn packs in that universe, which is, I think, one of the reasons she feels safe there. Arya's survived in a war zone and I believe she will continue to do so.

If you've read the gift chapter, it looks like some important pieces of Westeros are going to Braavos, she might not even have to leave that city to make an impact on the main stories.

I do believe that her ultimate fate will be unconventional, and that she'll either be the Lady of Winterfell, as in boss, not baby machine, or she'll leave Westeros for good. I don't see her playing second fiddle to anyone, and no one is going to force Arya into a marriage she doesn't want, that's for damn sure. She may not even identify herself as Arya Stark and leave Jeyne to that misery.

(I'd like to see her jumping on Asha's ship and having girl-pirate adventures, but that's just silliness on my part.)

:agree: She most certainly is NOT the Lone Wolf. If anyone is that, its the other sister. Arya has an uncanny ability to draw people to her without trying. Theres something magnetic about her that makes people take interest. She speaks to everyone the same way. She does not seem to give two farts about whos a noble and who isnt. She always has a pack. And yeah, the one shes got now is all sorts of creepy. I think she may form another pack soon though...I dont feel that the Faceless Man gig is permanent.

I do think its possible for Arya's path to cross Dany's. Hell, at this point in the series, nearly anything is possible. But i do think her path will coincide with Jon's before it does Dany's. I may be very wrong..who knows.

Arya will choose her destiny i think...

:agree: She most certainly is NOT the Lone Wolf. If anyone is that, its the other sister. Arya has an uncanny ability to draw people to her without trying. Theres something magnetic about her that makes people take interest. She speaks to everyone the same way. She does not seem to give two farts about whos a noble and who isnt. She always has a pack. And yeah, the one shes got now is all sorts of creepy. I think she may form another pack soon though...I dont feel that the Faceless Man gig is permanent.

I do think its possible for Arya's path to cross Dany's. Hell, at this point in the series, nearly anything is possible. But i do think her path will coincide with Jon's before it does Dany's. I may be very wrong..who knows.

Arya will choose her destiny i think...

YES. THANK YOU. While she may be different than Sansa, Arya also has a talent for gaining loyalty/companionship from people. I'm actually surprised how many people can't see that.

And I HOPE TO ALL THE GODS THERE IS that the FM thing is not permanent. You're giving me hope as always Florina =)

I was always insanely curious about this part, to be honest. If she can see past glamour, I wonder how she didn't make remarks about Jaqen's "face"? Or did GRRM means like "Now that she knows what's what, she can distinguish between the real face and the glamour."

GRRM PLS. What does it meaaaan?

Exactly. I presented my ideas to the Heresy thread, and that is what I ended up getting in a response. My speculating was the same answer they gave, which made me feel "Yippee!" for once.

Anyways, when she met Jaqen, she had not drank from the cup of the FM - she had no training, not even as a warg.

Some have speculated Jaqen may be a warg, but I think they make a better team if she is the warg, and he the dragon rider.

There may not be enough dragons for everyone to warg? Some people want Bran, some Tyrion, some Jon, some even think Ghost is a dragon, which I think would be cool. He'd look like Falcor the Luck Dragon from the Neverending Story, who also was white with red eyes, but he had wings and could talk.

If Arya falls in love, I personally would like to see her with Jaqen - am I creepy? He was so cute, and she will be a woman grown by the time they meet again, maybe. :dunce:

If Arya falls in love, I personally would like to see her with Jaqen - am I creepy? He was so cute, and she will be a woman grown by the time they meet again, maybe. :dunce:

In a serie where people "ship" brother/sister... no, you're not creepy. xP

I don't like Jaqen/Arya, though. But that's just me.

Perhaps since Arya can spot falsehoods even before the training, Jaqen's face is actually his true face! That would be awesome if true!

If Arya falls in love, I personally would like to see her with Jaqen - am I creepy? He was so cute, and she will be a woman grown by the time they meet again, maybe.

Its not that creepy. I like better than Jon/Arya. But i havent really thought about Jaqen/Arya...im not sure they suit each other to be honest, even when she is grown...

The best match i found was when someone suggested Arya/Aurane Waters. That...would be interesting. (hes one of my favorite minor characters...) While Arya/Gendry makes some sense, i just...dunno...Something about that ship kinda gets torpedoed for me. I think its Gendry's willingness to be more grounded...

Archived