Actors getting too old for their charaters

samih

At a rate of 1 season per year the young actors would be too old for their roles. Arya, Bran and Rickon, are only children and 4 years from now the actors would be teenagers. Already Bran looked older then he should in season 2, and Rickon is a boy of four in the books. Aren't the producers worried about that? They should be shooting faster then 1 season a year....right? Any opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

Do the ages really matter that much?

Some think they do, and it's just a pain to see these threads come up so often. I find it as just a different interpretation of the material. Of course I imagined Bran as leagues smaller, but nothing like this effects the plot. The only one that did disturb me a bit was Sansa's... umm... scene in Season 2, which is a bit out of place if she is as old as is presented, but who notices that in the moment?

I think there are concerns that the younger characters aren't old enough to be doing some of the things they do in the books. I just mentally age everyone up, so I don't have a problem when reading. But I'd rather they age them up on the show if it's going to make them water down the stories.

Honestly? You're asking this having read the book?

At a rate of 1 season per year the young actors would be too old for their roles. Arya, Bran and Rickon, are only children and 4 years from now the actors would be teenagers. Already Bran looked older then he should in season 2, and Rickon is a boy of four in the books. Aren't the producers worried about that? They should be shooting faster then 1 season a year....right? Any opinions?

I do think that the actors/actresses they have playing the stark children and the baratheon children are too old. For example Rickon is like 3 when the book starts and he named his direwolf shaggydog, for a 3 yr old that is great but the kid playing him is like over 8 so it doesnt make as much since.For Joffery is supposed to be like 12 but the actor is over 19. In my opinion they should do like harry potter and film as many episodes as they can in a year.

I think Rickon played such an insignificant role in Season 1/2 that introducing a younger actor in later season's won't be a big issue.

Arya's story is about to get very dark. I think Maisie being older will help with that. It's hard to envisage her as a ten-year-old girl at the end of ADWD, so I think the fact Maisie will be an older teenager by that point may work well.

Same for Sansa, in some ways, since her changes in Season 3/4 are quite mature!

On a related note, will the actor who plays Maester Aemon going to be available in two years for the AFFC season(s)?

I hope so. I don't want to think about losing him. He's great.

I do think that the actors/actresses they have playing the stark children and the baratheon children are too old. For examples Rickon is like 3 when the book starts and he named his direwolf shaggydog, for a 3 yr old that is great but the kid playing him is like over 8 so it doesnt make as much since.For Joffery is supposed to be like 12 but the actor is over 19. In my opinion they should do like harry potter and film as many episodes as they can in a year.

The characters themeselves are aged up. Jofffrey was 14/15 at the beginning and Rickon was 5.

The child actors is just one the real world problems with an live action adaption. They already went through it some when they had to re-do some scene that had Sophie Turner in it when they recast Cat. One year and Turner changed alot. It just a challenge they have to work with.

Arya's story is about to get very dark. I think Maisie being older will help with that. It's hard to envisage her as a ten-year-old girl at the end of ADWD, so I think the fact Maisie will be an older teenager by that point may work well.

Exactly. The fact that the kid actors age up benefits the adaptation, and not the other way. The timeline of the books is another think, and the characters had different ages to begin with. Why can't we assume that one season= one year?

In fact, George intended for the characters to be five years older at the beginning of the fourth book (as per the five year gap). And, surprisingly, the actors will be five years older that they were when they filmed the pilot when they get to film the adaptation of the fourth book. Works great!

They can reduce Isaac's role to a speaking-only role quite easily two seasons from now. (most probably with the information we have so far). And then everything is up for grabs, maybe they decide to have a few-years-gap in the show contrary to the books...

With the actors mentioned, I'd also add the roles of Myrcella and Tommen as grounds for concern, these storylines might not work so well if they age "too much".

Apart from the mentioned Sansa scene, the look-supposed age disparity for me is most easily seen with Jon, his virginity and uneasyness next to Ygritte does look very strange with his age, also the whole "boy in the Night's Watch" feels not quite right. That's not a problem with Dany because she's been aged up, but also behaves accordingly somehow...

Do the ages really matter that much?

No it does not... and even George has said he wished he had not gotten so confabulated that he didn't work out a 5 year 'age up' in the books.

Anyway looks as if the show continues that takes care of itself... and it fact George's glitch may be fixed but by D&D and the teleplay writers... which would be the logical development anyway!

They're aged up anyway, and for the sake of the adaption, I don't think it matters if say by the end of it some of the child actors are too old. Who's to say that time is passing at the same rate in the series as it did in the books?

With people like Tommen where the fact that he's a little boy king it might matter(though all they have to do is make him act childlike even for his age, problem solved. Mrycella's age doesn't really matter I feel as long as she's still a youngish girl, young lady.

Whereas I'd find Arya more interesting in her role in later books if she is closer to the end of her teens(to be fair, the actress looks like she'll still be small even then, so it can work. Sansa is meant to be becoming a young woman, and so is Sophie Turner, Bran aging doesn't matter to me, his big thing is that he's a cripple, plus his later plot development, being late teens won't matter. Whereas Rickon's actor being really young means he'll likely be fine.

Robert Arryn as well, all he'll need is to maintain the persona, whether he's 12(as the actor is), or 16-17, it's not the age that matters so much.

All this is moot as well, with the hollywoof casting tendencies to get older actors to play teens anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

The younger show characters (Stark kids, Baratheon kids, Dany) are 2-4 years older than the book characters.

http://awoiaf.wester...s_and_TV_series

This is about where we are now on the show (the actors are all older than this):

Jon 19, Robb 19, Sansa 15, Arya 13, Bran 12, Rickon 8.

Maisie Williams is already 15 and will be 16 when shooting starts next year.

Sophie Turner is now 16 and will be 17 during filming next year.

Isaac Hempstead-Wright now 13 and I am guessing will be 14 during production next year.

Art Parkinson may already be 12.

These characters are not going to be replaced nor should they be.

Archived