Definitely dead/Almost certainly living?

Pope Killdragon

More reasons I think Ned is still alive:

when asked by Ned, Varys says he could break Ned out of the dungeons (granted, he said no, but enough time passed for him to change his mind

On the wall, when talking to Maester Aemon, Jon is quizzed, if Ned had to choose between his honour, or the ones he loved, which would he choose? Jon says Ned owuld do what was right, no matter what, to which Aemon says Ned is one man in ten thousand...

Just don't buy Ned being alive. It's incredibly public to stick a double out there and what would happen if it's discovered?

Plus just because it's possible for Varys to break him out doesn't mean he'll do it.

Plus in the end by given his confession Ned chooses the one he loved. Equally where the hell has he been all this time?

If Varys has broken him out it would have to be for a big task to take such a risk, I mean apart from anything else the actual plan was to send Ned to the wall. If Joffrey sees this through, he's quite changeable and it's what everyone was telling him to do, and the imposter 'Ned' get's there don't you think the chief ranger, his brother, might spot it's not the real one and cause a fuss.

Just don't buy it. Way, way too public a spot for an imposter with enough people who know Ned at least reasonably well being able to spot it wasn't him.

Just don't buy Ned being alive. It's incredibly public to stick a double out there and what would happen if it's discovered?

Plus just because it's possible for Varys to break him out doesn't mean he'll do it.

Plus in the end by given his confession Ned chooses the one he loved. Equally where the hell has he been all this time?

If Varys has broken him out it would have to be for a big task to take such a risk, I mean apart from anything else the actual plan was to send Ned to the wall. If Joffrey sees this through, he's quite changeable and it's what everyone was telling him to do, and the imposter 'Ned' get's there don't you think the chief ranger, his brother, might spot it's not the real one and cause a fuss.

Just don't buy it. Way, way too public a spot for an imposter with enough people who know Ned at least reasonably well being able to spot it wasn't him.

One of my theories gives an answer to it not looking like him... Melisandre is working with Varys and used her magic to change another man into him.

He was locked away for a while, and would have had a beard grow out, covering a good part of his face, he was not close enough to cersei and sansa for them to recognize him.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Varys to break him out, and I am still set on the fact that either Benjen and Ned are together beyond the wall (even after ADWD) or he has been sent to do something we are not yet aware of.

By the time he would have gotten to the wall (if indeed he did go there and not somewhere else) his brother was already missing.

Rhaegar, Ned, Lyanna, are very, very dead.

Sandor is absolutely not dead.

Syrio is dead.

Bloodraven is 'alive' in his weirwood throne/tomb.

Did i mention that Ned is dead? Someone needs to redo the Curtis Mayfield song to emphasize this.

Darkstar is an upjumped punk. He's not Rhaegar. Seven hells.

Oh and Arthur Dayne is dead too.

I'd be surprised if Varys and Melisandre were working together. Varys has said he hates magic (OK he's a complete liar but still), there is no sign they ever met. She never seemed to go to Kings Landing and sure Varys could head out there but it seems unlikely. Mel is clearly backing Stannis, Varys at least seems to be backing Aegon.

OK the beard growth and denigration would explain why you might get away with it in front of Cersei etc. but doesn't it also explain why his head, after rotting for a bit and dipped in tar and set on a spike away from her didn't look like her father to Sansa?

A Ned beyond the wall would seem unlikely as hardly anything travels North passed the wall. Sure he may have gone away for a while but even if he's active in Essos travellers tales of the war might well reach him.

Even if Benjen was known to be missing in Kings Landing at the time of Ned's execution any normal transport to the Wall would go through the North if not through Winterfell. You can bet your bottom dollar Cersei, Joffery or Tywin would have insisted on it. Catelyn at least would want to say goodbye not to mention Robb, Bran, Rickon a dozen other bannermen and servants.

It all seems like one hell of a stretch to keep him alive.

Ned is not alive. I can't see Ned sitting idly by while all this death and horrible things are happening to his wife and children.

Rhaegar is not alive (didn't know that was a theory. Makes absolutely no sense to me.)

Lyanna is not alive. Why would Ned have such torment and grief about her if she's alive somewhere?

Honestly not sure about Aegon/fakeAegon. Could go either way.

Darkstar is just a random douche. He might be someone's kid, but he's not a dead person in disguise.

Sandor HAS to be the Gravedigger or I'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm on board with Benjen is Coldhands.

I'd be surprised if Varys and Melisandre were working together. Varys has said he hates magic (OK he's a complete liar but still), there is no sign they ever met. She never seemed to go to Kings Landing and sure Varys could head out there but it seems unlikely. Mel is clearly backing Stannis, Varys at least seems to be backing Aegon.

OK the beard growth and denigration would explain why you might get away with it in front of Cersei etc. but doesn't it also explain why his head, after rotting for a bit and dipped in tar and set on a spike away from her didn't look like her father to Sansa?

A Ned beyond the wall would seem unlikely as hardly anything travels North passed the wall. Sure he may have gone away for a while but even if he's active in Essos travellers tales of the war might well reach him.

Even if Benjen was known to be missing in Kings Landing at the time of Ned's execution any normal transport to the Wall would go through the North if not through Winterfell. You can bet your bottom dollar Cersei, Joffery or Tywin would have insisted on it. Catelyn at least would want to say goodbye not to mention Robb, Bran, Rickon a dozen other bannermen and servants.

It all seems like one hell of a stretch to keep him alive.

Varys says he hates magic, but the books make him out to have a little magic of his own...

Melisandre seems to be using Stannis to get things to go her way... which is the same as what Varys is doing... they are both tearing the kingdoms apart.

It does answer why Sansa says it looks nothing like him on the spike, when she actually looks at him, but it doesn't answer why his bones were too small to Cat, and surely in all her years, Sansa would have seen her father with a beard, so why did it still not look like him?

Ned being beyond the wall does seem unlikely, but I have no idea what he would be doing if he is alive, other then assuming it is so important, he would abandon his family. He would not have went to the wall on the Kingsroad, it is too busy and he would be recognized, besides, why would he not have went with Yoren? If he went to, or beyond the wall, it would have been on coastal roads or by the sea, and would have been secret.

Yes, the starks would want to say their goodbyes, but they all believed him dead.

I am a wishful thinker, I do not want him to be dead, and I suspect he is not dead...

I believe Aegon is alive. If he was part of the prophecy, and Varys was working for the Targs all this time (he says he wants peace, and works for the nation) then it makes sense that Varys would save him.

Perhaps if Ned IS alive it is his job to somehow inform Jon of his parentage, and this is why Varys pushed for him to admit his crimes and go to the wall...

Despite his evils, I believe Varys is one of the few who does not want for themselves,

It does answer why Sansa says it looks nothing like him on the spike, when she actually looks at him, but it doesn't answer why his bones were too small to Cat, and surely in all her years, Sansa would have seen her father with a beard, so why did it still not look like him?

Cos Sansa has never seen him with his head dunked in tar before? or without a body before?

The fact that his bones seem too small to me seems like an act of grief. Ned was a big part of her life and a big man in it. The bones don't seem big enough to reflect his.

Again for this to be Varys' plan he would have had to have been certain that 'Ned' was going to be executed. If not and Joff actually goes through with sending him to the Wall at some point it's going to be found out. Even if the route doesn't go passed Winterfell you imagine that Catelyn is never going to take the trip to see him? Come on.

If Varys knows that 'Ned' is going to die he relies on no one who knew Ned looking at the body/head too closely and piping up. OK slightly more likely but still one hell of a risk.

It just seems way, way, way too much to explain for Ned to be alive.

If you had understood my theory of Melisandre working with Varys then you would understand the issues with his appearance.

And Catelyn could not see him, because him being alive would be known only to him and Varys, everybody else thinks he is dead, including Cat, so there would be no reason for her to travel to see him, just as there was no reason for her to go to Winterfell when she found out Bran and Rickon died, even though we knew they were not dead, she never.

The theory can be backed up with Theon "killing" Bran and Rickon, the boys who were really killed and hanged and burned were not the right size to be the little lords, Luwin thought this, yet he still believed them dead for a while, people see what they want to see... people who had known Bran and Rickon all their lives thought that the bodies were little lords... it is possible the same happened with Ned... even if Melisandre was not working with Varys, he could have found a look-a-like from the prison, or made someone up to look like him, with a promise their families would be looked after...

The point about Cat wanting to go see him is valid IF the fake Ned got sent to the Wall. So Varys would have to have been certain that he was going to die. Big risk considering how changeable Joffrey can be and all the other advisors are speaking against it.

I can see if Mel and Varys were working together they could change his appearance but it's an awful lot of effort for Mel, there's no sign of any glamoured stone or item and she'd of had to have been transported there. OK easy enough to sneak her in but don't you think Stannis and everyone else on Dragonstone is going to wonder where she's gone to for a few days/weeks?

All seems very much clutching at straws hoping he's alive

Definitely Dead

Rickard Stark

Brandon Stark

Rhaegar Targaryen

Lewyn Martell

Jon Darry

Aerys II Targaryen

Elia Martell

Rhaenys Targaryen

Gerold Hightower

Arthur Dayne

Oswell Whent

Lyanna Stark

Rhaella Targaryen

Jon Arryn

Viserys Targaryen

Robert Baratheon

Ned Stark

Khal Drogo

Renly Baratheon

Maester Luwin

Jeor Mormont

Hoster Tully

Balon Greyjoy

Robb Stark

Joffrey Baratheon

Oberyn Martell

Shae

Tywin Lannister

Lysa Tully

Beric Dondarrion

Arys Oakheart

Maester Aemon

Quentyn Martell

Grand Maester Pycelle

Kevan Lannister

Enough wiggle room to create doubt

Aegon VI Targaryen

Ashara Dayne

Benjen Stark

Syrio Forel

Tyrek Lannister

Jon Snow

Probably still alive

Sandor Clegane

Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers

Good list, although I'd have added Gerion Lannister to the Enough Wiggle list.

I hope, probably in vain, that all characters who were last seen with mortal wounds were, in fact, mortally wounded. Too many zombies/switched personas running around as it is. I also kind of hope that prophecies are just bull, and that Jon is just Ned's bastard son.

I'm with you for the most part. Too many people returning damages the overall story for me.

To prove he's alive you're going to need to establish what happened after the trident, a who identified him, how fallible this person was or is and lastly WHY he chose to stay hidden and not go to Danny and viserys in th last 15 years.

I don't like your chances.

It never states anyone identified him. Only it was Rhaegar in his armor. That obviously doesn't mean they did not pull off his helmet and ID him, but it also doesn't mean they did. It leaves wiggle room.

It also goes to explain why he looks a lot like Rhaegar and all the different conflicting stories around who Jon's mum is. As in he left one child with Ashara Dayne, this is Darkstar who looks enough like her, dark hair violet eyes, to be passed off as a relation, and Jon is actually his bastard from another woman. With 2 young kids at the other ends of Westeros there can easily be rumours started up to explain all the rumours about Ned.

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned, but who says Lyanna didn't have fraternal twins? One could have looked more similar to the Targ lineage, and one to the Stark lineage.

The point about Cat wanting to go see him is valid IF the fake Ned got sent to the Wall. So Varys would have to have been certain that he was going to die. Big risk considering how changeable Joffrey can be and all the other advisors are speaking against it.

I can see if Mel and Varys were working together they could change his appearance but it's an awful lot of effort for Mel, there's no sign of any glamoured stone or item and she'd of had to have been transported there. OK easy enough to sneak her in but don't you think Stannis and everyone else on Dragonstone is going to wonder where she's gone to for a few days/weeks?

All seems very much clutching at straws hoping he's alive

I agree, I am clutching at straws... As I have said, I want him to be alive... but did Varys not tell Ned he was a dead man? It would be unlike Varys to suspect the King...or have a plan should he die anyway... and if he was sent to the wall (after he was supposed to have lost his head) Cat would not know of it...

The only way Cat would want to see him is if no man had been beheaded and she thought him to still be alive...

Ned is Coldhands, he warged into the nearest weirwood and Bloodraven, needing a very loyal subordinate, transferred him into a wight through the great weirwood internet, then he told him he was to protect his son Bran and what not, he cant go beyond the wall to tell anyone about anything important and due to his appearance people would probably attack him on sight anyway so he contents himself with serving Bloodraven, what else is there for him to do?

He can't tell Bran because then Bran wouldn't want to leave him outside, he'd want to talk and shizz.

By the way, I don't really believe this, but it'd be nice,

Ned is Coldhands, he warged into the nearest weirwood and Bloodraven, needing a very loyal subordinate, transferred him into a wight through the great weirwood internet, then he told him he was to protect his son Bran and what not, he cant go beyond the wall to tell anyone about anything important and due to his appearance people would probably attack him on sight anyway so he contents himself with serving Bloodraven, what else is there for him to do?

He can't tell Bran because then Bran wouldn't want to leave him outside, he'd want to talk and shizz.

By the way, I don't really believe this, but it'd be nice,

The thought had crossed my mind, but of the 2 brothers, Benjen is more likely to be CH, though i think benjen is still alive, CH is someone else...

Ned is dead. And this Varys working with Mel is nonsense too. If that was the case why didn't Varys do something to help Stannis during the Blackwater?

Ned's head didn't look like it to Sansa because it was dead and covered in tar. There are several times in the series that the similarity of all corpses and heads is mentioned - seems to be more about the anonymous nature of death than a 'clue' that Ned is alive. His head got chopped off and his POVs stopped. Dead. Can't believe I'm actually trying to prove he's dead.

Archived