What would happen to the Dreadfort if the Boltons get killed off?

TheCrannogDweller

This came up in another thread, and I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought.

As it stands, Roose and Ramsay Bolton are close to meeting their doom. If that happens, and the Starks reclaim Winterfell, who do you think will get the Dreadfort and its lands? Keep in mind that Fat Walda Frey is pregnant with Roose's child.

Would the Bolton heir from Walda be allowed to keep his lands (if he's male)?

If the baby is female will she be allowed to keep the Bolton lands?

Will the baby even be born (Roose at some point says that Ramsay will probably kill the child)?

If the Boltons do die out, which House would most likely get their lands?

So, what do you think?

If Bran and Rickon both make it back, perhaps Rickon as the new Lord of the Dreadfort? It'd be fitting for him.

If not...perhaps it'll be passed to some other Northern heir - Robett Glover maybe or one of those Tallhart kids - assuming of course they don't die.

As long as House Bolton is extinct by the end of the series I'll be happy.

Firstly, the issue is when, not if.

The Boltons will get killed off. Root and stem, this time.

As for what happens to their lands?

Tormund of House Giantsbane happens, I reckon. Or even more appropriately, if he survives, Mance of House Rayder. Given his interaction with the storyline of the Boltons in Dance, I think that will be a very real possibility. Plus he was a King before, so getting the lands of one of the most powerful Houses in the North would be quite appropriate, as he would actually know what to do with it, unlike Tormund who would just piss his wealth away on booze and women.

:agree:

I'm sort of worried though. Because there's a baby coming and all. People have speculated that the reason why Bolton's still exist despite rebelling against the Stark's THRICE before, was because the heir was a baby or a child and the Stark's spared him. Sounds like something Ned and Robb would do. And we all know how well it turned out.

The Manderlys have a claim on the Hornwood lands that Ramsay annexed when he married Lady Hornwood. Iirc Lord Manderly was Lady Hornwoods cousin there is also a bastard somewhere, Ser Rodrik commented that allowing the bastard to inherit would have been what the late Lord Hornwood wanted but not politically savvy. However given that he was only mentioned once and the general chaos in the North post Iron Born invasion/ Red Wedding it's not even a given he's alive.

As for the Dreadfort I personally want the place torn down stone by stone and whoever get's the land to build a new castle (or at least throw out all the 'special cloaks' that the Boltons have hidden) :ack:

I'm sort of worried though. Because there's a baby coming and all. People have speculated that the reason why Bolton's still exist despite rebelling against the Stark's THRICE before, was because the heir was a baby or a child and the Stark's spared him. Sounds like something Ned and Robb would do. And we all know how well it turned out.

Maybe it's not something Rickon would do... Or maybe this time the child either won't be born or die right after that. Also, don't forget that the mother of that particular child also has blood on her hands - she was present at the Red Wedding.

Maybe it's not something Rickon would do... Or maybe this time the child either won't be born or die right after that. Don't forget that the mother of that particular child also has blood on her hands - she was present at the Red Wedding.

Yeah, I don't see Rickon or Arya in particular, being so forgiving and "just" about this xD

Damnit, where is Mirri Maz Duur when you need her?!

As for the Dreadfort I personally want the place torn down stone by stone and whoever get's the land to build a new castle (or at least throw out all the 'special cloaks' that the Boltons have hidden) :ack:

I want it bathed in dragonfire until there's nothing left.

:agree:

I don't want the baby hurt. But I'm afraid Ramsey will kill it.

And I don't think Arya, Bran or Jon will be forgiving at all when the time comes.

As for the actual Bolton lands I think they are quite vast and seem to be able to raise a considerable number of men. I don't know wether it would make more sence to parcel them out to various proven Lords and retainers or create a Stark cadet branch rather than hand one Lord all the power.

Or alternatively that land could be used to settle the wildlings that have come through The Wall.

If Bran and Rickon both make it back, perhaps Rickon as the new Lord of the Dreadfort? It'd be fitting for him.

If not...perhaps it'll be passed to some other Northern heir - Robett Glover maybe or one of those Tallhart kids - assuming of course they don't die.

I'll second all that.

` I don't think Mance is trustworthy enough to receive it. It should go to a staunch Stark loyalist. Maybe Jon should get it. As far as Walda goes, she went all in with her family. She knew about the Red Wedding so she should not hope for any mercy. Of course, it's all dependent on the truth getting out. The North knows something fishy went on where the Boltons are concerned. Should the actual details, especially Roose's greeting, get out, well, "it could get ugly!"

Edited for errors.

Archived