What would happen to the Dreadfort if the Boltons get killed off?

TheCrannogDweller

As for the actual Bolton lands I think they are quite vast and seem to be able to raise a considerable number of men. I don't know wether it would make more sence to parcel them out to various proven Lords and retainers or create a Stark cadet branch rather than hand one Lord all the power.

Or alternatively that land could be used to settle the wildlings that have come through The Wall.

Vast is relative.

For example, the Umbers rule from the Gift for 300 miles down the Kingsroad to the Lonely Hills, and from the Kingsroad 200 miles east to the Sea.

That's vast. As are the Barrowlands, ruled by the Dustins, and the Rills, ruled by the Ryswells etc. etc. Most of the chief Northern lords rule vast swathes of land.

I think House Rayder of the Songfort does have a nice ring to it. :)

What do you think about a cadet branch of one of the other Stark loyalist Houses? Karstark, Mormont, Glover, Tallhart, even Manderly? Umber of the Dreadfort doesn't sound so bad either...

:agree:

I'm sort of worried though. Because there's a baby coming and all. People have speculated that the reason why Bolton's still exist despite rebelling against the Stark's THRICE before, was because the heir was a baby or a child and the Stark's spared him. Sounds like something Ned and Robb would do. And we all know how well it turned out.

Well, Ned and Robb aren't necessarily the norm. The old Kings in the North were said to be as "harsh as winter". Also Brandon (Neds bro) was said to have a bit of a temper. The Boltons surviving could be accredited to the simple fact of them being really old. They may have helped the Starks enough to always warrant another chance. Just a theory however, I would not be surprised if the "kidheir" thing was the truth.

If I was a guessing man (to answer the OP) I'd wager the death of Roose and Ramsey, with Walda surviving and her child inheriting the Dreadfort. The child then growing to be a warden of (Olds Gods willing) whichever Stark is in Winterfell. In order to surpress those rebellious tendencies.

Well, Ned and Robb aren't necessarily the norm. The old Kings in the North were said to be as "harsh as winter". Also Brandon (Neds bro) was said to have a bit of a temper. The Boltons surviving could be accredited to the simple fact of them being really old. They may have helped the Starks enough to always warrant another chance. Just a theory however, I would not be surprised if the "kidheir" thing was the truth.

If I was a guessing man (to answer the OP) I'd wager the death of Roose and Ramsey, with Walda surviving and her child inheriting the Dreadfort. The child then growing to be a warden of (Olds Gods willing) whichever Stark is in Winterfell. In order to surpress those rebellious tendencies.

That's very true, too. It's just the theory that makes most sense to me.

I think they should just send the kid to the Wall or something. Because we all know how loyal and honest the last Stark ward turned out to be xP

Even if Walda was allowed to live, her son could be sent to the Wall, Citadel or septons. After the game they played, the Bolton line is finished.

I'd rather the Magnar of ThennFrost get it.

If Harrion makes it back north, he will be Lord of Karlhold, but his sister and her husband could get the lands of the Boltons. After all, her knowledge of Arnolfs treachery likely saved Stannis life.What better reward than a powerful seat for her children?

That's very true, too. It's just the theory that makes most sense to me.

I think they should just send the kid to the Wall or something. Because we all know how loyal and honest the last Stark ward turned out to be xP

Fair enough xD. But Theon was like eight or something? He already has memories of the Iron Islands. The Bolton heir should be sent as an infant. But then again I'd be surprised if Ramsay didn't whack her ass the moment Roose steps out.

This came up in another thread, and I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought.

As it stands, Roose and Ramsay Bolton are close to meeting their doom. If that happens, and the Starks reclaim Winterfell, who do you think will get the Dreadfort and its lands? Keep in mind that Fat Walda Frey is pregnant with Roose's child.

Would the Bolton heir from Walda be allowed to keep his lands (if he's male)?

If the baby is female will she be allowed to keep the Bolton lands?

Will the baby even be born (Roose at some point says that Ramsay will probably kill the child)?

If the Boltons do die out, which House would most likely get their lands?

So, what do you think?

The lands will revert to the Starks who can then distribute it to another House if they so chose, or make a new cadet branch of the Stark House in it.

What I think should happen is of course that it should be given to Walda's child as its the proper heir and I don't believe in wiping out Houses left and right. However a deserter from the Night's Watch or a Wildling raider cheif are probably among the last persons that I would personally give anything to if I were a Northman.

I like the idea of the Thenns getting it providing Karhold has it's male heir return. I would be a nice reward for Alys and the Thenns are more like thoe people south of the wall than the rest of the Wildlings, they would probably do well.

` Seems my post got lost, but Jon should get it. I don't believe in exterminating houses, but what Roose and Ramsay have done is unforgivable. They murdered the Lord of Winterfell, not in a rebellion but in betrayal, then created a fake Arya so that they could install themselves in Winterfell. You've got Ramsay sleeping in Ned's quarters, for the Old God's sakes. They went too far this time. It's in the blood. And they must be exterminated.

` Seems my post got lost, but Jon should get it. I don't believe in exterminating houses, but what Roose and Ramsay have done is unforgivable. They murdered the Lord of Winterfell, not in a rebellion but in betrayal, then created a fake Arya so that they could install themselves in Winterfell. You've got Ramsay sleeping in Ned's quarters, for the Old God's sakes. They went too far this time. It's in the blood. And they must be exterminated.

:agree:

I hate the man, but Tywin Lannister had the right of it. Just putting down a rebellion and killing the lord doesn't solve anything, because sons and daughters want revenge.

Funny you should mention it, but the Bolton psychosis seems hereditary. Roose claims as much in DwD. Isn't that why he has those leaches? To rid himself of the "bad blood"? His still a dick, but he's a colder dick then hot, bat-shit crazy Rams.

Funny you should mention it, but the Bolton psychosis seems hereditary. Roose claims as much in DwD. Isn't that why he has those leaches? To rid himself of the "bad blood"? His still a dick, but he's a colder dick then hot, bat-shit crazy Rams.

Roose seems practical. Whereas Ramsay is just a bloodthirsty psychopath.

Roose seems practical. Whereas Ramsay is just a bloodthirsty psychopath.

Can't disagree with that. I just don't get why Roose would think it is a better idea to leave his legacy with hands-on-pants insane Ramsey, then the unborn child. I get the whole "lines with kid rulers fall" but it doesn't seem dead certain. While Ramsay as Warden of the North can only end one way. Him dead.

Ugh, I just had an ugly thought.

What if poor Jeyne Poole is pregnant? Would her child inherit the Dreadfort?

That's an interesting question. If Jeyne gives birth to a son of Ramsay, would that child be a bastard, seeing that his mother married under a fake identity?

If it is a legitimate child though, I think it still comes after Walda's kid.

I somehow don't think that Jon will become a bannerman of his sibling (whoever it is) in Winterfell. I think that he'll either continue to be LC of the Night watch (if it survives), or if RLJ is true, he'll probably have a much bigger role to play than a norhtern Lord.

The Boltons are not men to inspire love/gratitude/benevolent feelings from their smallfolk. Likely hatred, fear and misery.

Whatever deposit takes hold in her womb, its legacy is murder/mayhem and cruelty.

For millenia.

Let the child be raised at the wall or citadel/silent sisters.

That life of peace is more undeserved than the many cruelties the innocents who fell under the shadow of the Dreadfort faced.

The line must be ended.

Too much, too far, too often.

And to Gurkhal, the end of the Bolton line/house would merely be the circling and dotting of i's in a millenial long war between Stark and Bolton. It had its lulls and it had its gales, but the end is nigh.

Rickon doesn't start wars, he finishes them.

Put that in your sig.

I somehow don't think that Jon will become a bannerman of his sibling (whoever it is) in Winterfell. I think that he'll either continue to be LC of the Night watch (if it survives), or if RLJ is true, he'll probably have a much bigger role to play than a norhtern Lord.

If your subordinates try to kill you, are you still beholden to the vows? I was answering under the assumption that Jon is done with the NW. But I can see Jon staying the course because it's his duty and he swore a vow.

But he could get the Dreadfort after the Cold, Dark Night is over and summer has returned.

Archived