The Quiet Isle Theory

OberynBlackfyre

Also- the EB might not be of any real consequence when it comes to his identity, however I do feel he might KNOW much more things than he is leading on. He tells of rubies washing up, of great battles, and people encountered. I'm not saying he is hiding Rhaegar, but he IS most probably hiding the Hound.....so who else could have wanted refuge there in the past?

Non-Hound versus unGregor seems a little too pat for me. I'd rather see somthing like a couple of Sandsnakes infiltrate his hangout and load him up with enough poison to knock a mammoth dead in its tracks in revenge for Oberyn. After he turns on Qyburn.

Crackpot theory: The Quiet Isle is like the Shaolin temple set on Mt St Michel. Filled with warrior monks.

I don't really care who the Elder Brother is as long as Sandor's alive. But why would he lie to Brienne and say Sandor was dead? :huh:

he never said sandor was dead, he said the hound was dead, re-read the passage, he infers quite heavily that sandor is alive but left the hound behind him

I think his story is far from done. As the Elder Brother states, the only thing that kept Sandor going was killing Gregor. Gregor is now dead, but undead - so who better to defeat Robert Strong than a redeemed Sandor?

Redeemed Sandor is only redeemed because his mission in life (to kill Gregor) was ended. If he learns Gregor isn't dead and immediately goes into RAGEKILLGREGORMODE then he isn't any better off than he was before. All that character development (at least, the implied character development) goes out the window.

It would be more of a redemption story if he learns Gregor is alive and doesn't leave the Quiet Isle

Redeemed Sandor is only redeemed because his mission in life (to kill Gregor) was ended. If he learns Gregor isn't dead and immediately goes into RAGEKILLGREGORMODE then he isn't any better off than he was before. All that character development (at least, the implied character development) goes out the window.

It would be more of a redemption story if he learns Gregor is alive and doesn't leave the Quiet Isle

while this is true, if he can somehow convince the Elder Brother, or if he had some knowledge that Gregor was no longer Gregor but an unholy abomination, then they might urge him to be the champion of the faith or something to that effect....i do not think he will ever be as feral and deadly as he once was, but if he can still retain his skills, he can still be useful

while this is true, if he can somehow convince the Elder Brother, or if he had some knowledge that Gregor was no longer Gregor but an unholy abomination, then they might urge him to be the champion of the faith or something to that effect....i do not think he will ever be as feral and deadly as he once was, but if he can still retain his skills, he can still be useful

Theory: When Sandor hears that unGregor is around, he leaves the QI to get his revenge. But then he gets into some situation (?) that forces him to make a moral choice: help Sansa or kill unGregor. And the new, improved Sandor chooses Sansa. (Romantic? HELLS YES!!)

Theory: When Sandor hears that unGregor is around, he leaves the QI to get his revenge. But then he gets into some situation (?) that forces him to make a moral choice: help Sansa or kill unGregor. And the new, improved Sandor chooses Sansa. (Romantic? HELLS YES!!)

haha a little too romantic if you ask me...in his story arc I feel like it's either one or the other. He either hears about Sansa and then goes to help her, or he goes to face UnGregor because of old hates. Given that the EB said that the Hound is at rest, I feel that his choice would probably go to try and help Sansa, if he even makes that choice. I firmly believe he might die trying to protect her or help her, but in no way is she ever going to see him in a romantic light lol

Perhaps not so much revenge... he could be the Faith's warrior against Cersei's warrior in her Trial by combat.

I agree with Mammothsbane. Sandor is almost certainly the gravedigger and for him to leave Quiet Isle on a revenge mission against Gregorstein would be a step back for the character. It would also be pointless, at least in my opinion, because the impression I get from the whole Robert Strong situation is that the man who was Gregor Clegane is now dead and Robert Strong is a lifeless meat-mountain under the control of Qyburn. Killing him again would be tantamount to desecrating Gregor's corpse as a form of revenge.

Just to put EB being Rhaegar to rest, he says his father was a Knight, and his brothers, every one.

Rhaegar had one brother, who was never a knight.

The fact that EB isn't beautiful and doesn't have sad eyes doesn't count for much in the way of refutation, though. Look at Mickey Rourke in the 1980's, then look at him 18 years later. There is great disparity in the way people's beauty responds to age. (some of it might be hard living, disfigurement, or letting yourself go with fat, but most of it is genetic, and Aerys certainly didn't age well) "Sad Eyes" are highly subjective, and depends on the mood of the individual, if you saw someone when they are depressed or under great stress or grieving, you might describe them as sad eyed, but once they find peace on the Isle, that could change.

But I see no reason for the EB, even if he were Rhaegar, to contrive a story saying "every last one of my brothers, as well as my father were knights".

I think he was just some knight of middling rank, who "broke" and has found a new calling.

His 'brothers' could be KG but thts about as high as I see him hypothetically being in society wise, Rhaegar needs to be dead.

The Elder Brother said:"I fought for Prince Rhaegar, though he never knew my name." Rhaegar would have definitely known the names of the members of the KG.

Another thing, the Elder Brother says before that "When I died in the Battle of the Trident." He was speaking figuratively at that point, saying the person who was died. He said the the Hound died, and it can be inferred as other posters have stated that the Hound aspect of Sandor died.

As much as I want Sandor back in the story (we all have to admit he has some great lines and is quite honest. We need more honest men in ASOIAF), I don't think it's going to happen. I think we'll be seeing the Quiet Isle again though, but maybe not directly. It won't be playing a pivotal role. At least, that's what I think.

I think that the Elder Brother is who he claims to be when he told his story to Brienne. Or, at the very least, I don't think that he's anyone "famous" in disguise.

The Gravedigger, however, I think is more than he appears to be. Like many of those posting above me, I'm 99% sure that he's Sandor Clegane. On page 670 of aFfC, Brienne and the EB have this exchange:

"It is true, then," she said dully. "Sandor Clegane is dead."

"He is at rest."

The reply of the Elder Brother to Brienne's direct question would not be a lie, if indeed the Gravedigger is Sandor Clegane.

And then after a short pause the Elder Brother then launches into his own life story (almost as if to change the topic, if you ask me).

The 1% of doubt that remains to me is why no mention is made of the Gravedigger's facial burn scars, if he is indeed Sandor. The descriptions of the Gravedigger all mention his limp, which would match up with the bad leg wound Sandor suffered during his fight at the tavern, but none mention his face at all. Was his face shrouded by a hood or cowl? Or, here's where my crackpot theory comes in, were Sandor's burn scars somehow cured by the mysterious healing powers which the Elder Brother is purported to have?

I think that the Elder Brother is who he claims to be when he told his story to Brienne. Or, at the very least, I don't think that he's anyone "famous" in disguise.

The Gravedigger, however, I think is more than he appears to be. Like many of those posting above me, I'm 99% sure that he's Sandor Clegane. On page 670 of aFfC, Brienne and the EB have this exchange:

"It is true, then," she said dully. "Sandor Clegane is dead."

"He is at rest."

The reply of the Elder Brother to Brienne's direct question would not be a lie, if indeed the Gravedigger is Sandor Clegane.

And then after a short pause the Elder Brother then launches into his own life story (almost as if to change the topic, if you ask me).

The 1% of doubt that remains to me is why no mention is made of the Gravedigger's facial burn scars, if he is indeed Sandor. The descriptions of the Gravedigger all mention his limp, which would match up with the bad leg wound Sandor suffered during his fight at the tavern, but none mention his face at all. Was his face shrouded by a hood or cowl? Or, here's where my crackpot theory comes in, were Sandor's burn scars somehow cured by the mysterious healing powers which the Elder Brother is purported to have?

The Gravedigger wears some sort of scarf on his face. :) His face is unseen.

The Gravedigger wears some sort of scarf on his face. :) His face is unseen.

You know, I had forgotten that some of the brothers wrapped scarves around their lower faces so that only their eyes showed. The scarf coupled with the cowl should be enough to conceal his facial burns. Oh well, so much for my rejuvenated Sandor hopes. I guess Sandor wouldn't really be the same Sandor without the burns though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived