The Quiet Isle Theory

OberynBlackfyre

Elder Brother couldn't have been a healer of the Old Gods as he was a knight. He has no reason to lie about his past to Brienne. The only Kingsguard at the Trident were Barristan the Bold, Ser Jonothor Darry and Prince Lewyn Martell.

Men of Aerys's KG don't sound like people who were alcoholics or rapers.

I think Sandor may have left the QI shortly after Brienne when he heard of her quest, or he may leave when he word gets out that Sansa is in the Vale and he goes to protect her from Cersei.

Agree. And in rereading the chapter where arya and sandor take off from the inn after sandor's horrific injuries, arya looks back and sees a crow flitting from tree to tree after them. I have a feeling Bloodraven sent Elder Brother to save Sandor.

I don't think the Quiet Isle or the Elder Brother will play a pivotal role, but I do think Sandor Clegane will. There's been enough foreshadowing to indicate that he has a major role to play in the endgame. I've always thought Bran's prophesy suggested Sandor, Jaime, and unGregor will clash in a defining battle/fight at the end of the series.

There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Also, considering Sandor's relationship with fire--burned and traumatized by his brother, the Battle of the Blackwater, and fighting Beric and his flaming sword in trial by combat--has me convinced Sandor will have to face his ultimate fear. Especially since Thoros declared that "trial by battle is a holy thing. You heard me ask R'hollor [god of flame and shadow and Heart of Fire] to take a hand, and you saw his fiery finger snap Lord Beric's sword, just as he was about to make an end of it. The Lord of Light is not done yet with Joffrey's Hound, it would seem." I wouldn't be surprised if Sandor not only faces unGregor (not out of an act of vengeance, but survival), but also Daenerys' dragons.

Sandor also develops a unique relationship with both Stark girls from Winterfell whose house words are Winter Is Coming. Since the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, I think Sandor's relationship with the North and winter via the Stark girls and his connection to fire indicates he's going to be a key player in the end.

ETA: In addition, if Ragnorak's Bloodraven theory is correct (awesome catch!! I've reread that chapter so many times and never once did I take notice), that also gives Sandor another connection to "ice."

I don't think the Quiet Isle or the Elder Brother will play a pivotal role, but I do think Sandor Clegane will. There's been enough foreshadowing to indicate that he has a major role to play in the endgame. I've always thought Bran's prophesy suggested Sandor, Jaime, and unGregor will clash in a defining battle/fight at the end of the series.

There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Also, considering Sandor's relationship with fire--burned and traumatized by his brother, the Battle of the Blackwater, and fighting Beric and his flaming sword in trial by combat--has me convinced Sandor will have to face his ultimate fear. Especially since Thoros declared that "trial by battle is a holy thing. You heard me ask R'hollor [god of flame and shadow and Heart of Fire] to take a hand, and you saw his fiery finger snap Lord Beric's sword, just as he was about to make an end of it. The Lord of Light is not done yet with Joffrey's Hound, it would seem." I wouldn't be surprised if Sandor not only faces unGregor (but not out of an act of vengeance, but survival), but also Daenerys' dragons.

Also, Sandor develops a unique relationship with both Stark girls from Winterfell whose house words are Winter Is Coming. Since the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, I think Sandor's relationship with the North and winter via the Stark girls and his connection to fire indicates he's going to be a key player in the end.

Agree. But in the fight between RS and Sandor, i believe Sansa is going to bring that dragon down(warged by Bran since she never developed the knack) and melt Gregor right in front of Sandor. Sandor couldn't do it - but Sansa can. tips that damsel in distress trope right on it's butt.

Agree. But in the fight between RS and Sandor, i believe Sansa is going to bring that dragon down(warged by Bran since she never developed the knack) and melt Gregor right in front of Sandor. Sandor couldn't do it - but Sansa can. tips that damsel in distress trope right on it's butt.

I like!! I also added your Bloodraven theory to my post.

If i'm right, it will be her first kill (unless she disembowels LF first). and oh what a luscious one it will be, saving her dog.

I'm not a fan of emoticons, but since we no longer have a "like" button, I shall toast you. :cheers:

I'm not a fan of emoticons, but since we no longer have a "like" button, I shall toast you. :cheers:

ty. If Sansa does this, and i truly believe she (warg by bran), jon and dany will ride them, then it will be through warging - even the Targs had a hard time controlling them at times. but they couldn't warg. and when Sansa does this, if she is indeed the Queen of the North, then she will, like the Targs, conquer with dragons.

Though, if he were to go back to King's Landing to fight, (despite his wound) isn't he, like someone else here mentioned, a wanted man for deserting his post??? He's like to be killed right at the city gates, and hell, we can't have that. So I'm not really sure what GRRM has in store for Sandor...

Though, as much as I'd like for him to stay safe on the Quiet Isle, I'd also... really like to continue seeing more of Rory McCann. :]

Agree. And in rereading the chapter where arya and sandor take off from the inn after sandor's horrific injuries, arya looks back and sees a crow flitting from tree to tree after them. I have a feeling Bloodraven sent Elder Brother to save Sandor.

Sweet!

Arya glanced over her shoulder, but there was nothing behind them but a crow flitting tree to tree. The only sound was the river.

Sandor had an elder brother: Gregor: He try to destroyed Sandor: almost achieves it. This new Elder brother of Quiet Isle is all the contrary and GRRM IS PRETTY OBVIOUS ABOUT THAT:

“He.. dreamed of slaying his own brother…and even that was taken from him”

“He served , but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine..” (all in a simbolic past )

The Hound died there, in my arms”(Symbolic death of the Beast) is more obvious yet when Brienne says him: "It is true, then," she said dully. "Sandor Clegane is dead."

And the Elder Brother replies: "He is at rest." (symbolic mental calm of the man/

Then, the man-and only the man- remains alive and he is resting of his wounds(mentals; of the soul and the body..))

Sandor had an elder brother: Gregor: He try to destroyed Sandor: almost achieves it. This new Elder brother of Quiet Isle is all the contrary and GRRM IS PRETTY OBVIOUS ABOUT THAT:

“He.. dreamed of slaying his own brother…and even that was taken from him”

“He served , but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine..” (all in a simbolic past )

The Hound died there, in my arms”(Symbolic death of the Beast) is more obvious yet when Brienne says him: "It is true, then," she said dully. "Sandor Clegane is dead."

And the Elder Brother replies: "He is at rest." (symbolic mental calm of the man/

Then, the man-and only the man- remains alive and he is resting of his wounds(mentals; of the soul and the body..))

Like Carl Denham said about King Kong: "It was beauty that killed the beast;" or it was Sansa that helped to kill the Hound.

Of all the turmoil he's been through and the horrors he has seen and known throughout his life, Sansa was the only thing that was good and pure in his life; to him she may be the only thing worth protecting.

I think the Elder Brother's role is mostly expositionary, and I don't really buy that he's Darry or the Easter Bunny or whatever.

I don't think you can just throw out a "maybe he's a leftover Kingsguard" grenade speculation when 1. there are only seven of them and 2. we pretty much know what happened to them. While it's true that Darry's fate is the most up-in-the-air of the seven, I can't believe that his death wouldn't have been pretty rock-solid confirmed, given his status and the danger posed if he escaped.

• 2 months later...

Archived