Lollys [spoilers]

SlackBladder

Despite being a periphery character the little bits about Lollys really hit home for me. I mean, the books involve some pretty nasty things like murder and rape but with Lollys we get glimpses at the aftermath of someone who's been traumatized. Throughout the book we hear little bits here and there, about how she eats until passing out and cries all the time, it just really made me think about how this woman has been emotionally scarred. Not to mention how all the other characters shows almost no sympathy, Shae making fun of her and her mother seems embarrassed to be around her.

er, she's clearly got some kind of mental disability...

Lollys is definitely a very unfortunate character. How people react to her in the novel is a good measure of their characters in my opinion.

er, she's clearly got some kind of mental disability...

Lollys is definitely a very unfortunate character. How people react to her in the novel is a good measure of their characters in my opinion.

Disagree, since some of us have the "Crud happens" mentality w/ regard to ASOIF.

I am thinking if you guys all got gang-raped by fifty men you wouldn't shrug it off by saying "shit-happens." This thread is very unfortunate. Yes, it is extremely distressing, compounded with the fact that she is obviously not as sound of mind as the rest of the highborn ladies and the remarks that Shae makes about her make me loathe her character. Lollys was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it's sad that there was no Hound to protect her.

I am thinking if you guys all got gang-raped by fifty men you wouldn't shrug it off by saying "shit-happens." This thread is very unfortunate. Yes, it is extremely distressing, compounded with the fact that she is obviously not as sound of mind as the rest of the highborn ladies and the remarks that Shae makes about her make me loathe her character. Lollys was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it's sad that there was no Hound to protect her.

Sorry, but that's a fictional event for a fictional character in a fictional world. I thoroughly enjoy the books, it can make me laugh, sad, smile, thinking. But I won't be distressed or happy. I got that plenty enough by reading News or a History book or talking with my friends, that's real people just there.

If you want to project IRL in the books, good for you. Just avoid the patronizing tone to boss everybody around.

Sorry, but that's a fictional event for a fictional character in a fictional world. I thoroughly enjoy the books, it can make me laugh, sad, smile, thinking. But I won't be distressed or happy. I got that plenty enough by reading News or a History book or talking with my friends, that's real people just there.

If you want to project IRL in the books, good for you. Just avoid the patronizing tone to boss everybody around.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I don't have a patronizing tone in this thread I'm straight up saying that whoever says that they have no compassion for some fictional character would most likely feel the same way about someone in the real world who they don't know. Whatever, I really don't care anymore, I came across this thread while just browsing and I felt compelled to respond. If you think I'm bossing you around by saying nothing of the sort then you probably have a guilty conscious and know you're wrong.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I don't have a patronizing tone in this thread I'm straight up saying that whoever says that they have no compassion for some fictional character would most likely feel the same way about someone in the real world who they don't know. Whatever, I really don't care anymore, I came across this thread while just browsing and I felt compelled to respond. If you think I'm bossing you around by saying nothing of the sort then you probably have a guilty conscious and know you're wrong.

Well ya, something bad happens to someone I don't know in a far away place my response would be along the lines of "that sucks" maybe with a WTF thrown in for good measure. This isn't a bad thing, empathy is good. Empathizing with every bad thing that happens in the world is not. That's the road that leads to being an emotional cripple.

And guilty conscious really? If you let yourself be really effected by fictional events it may be time to see a therapist because I think that may be a sign of mentally instability.

I think empathy dosed with a good sense of reality is the way to go. Shit DOES happen. Maybe I am a terrible person for this but I can`t feel any emotion for people I have never met, will never know and have absolutely no connection to me whatsoever. It doesn`t mean that if something were to happen to someone I know, but am not even remotely close to, I wouldn`t feel bad: of course I`d feel bad.

I don`t understand people with the empathy high horses. It`s not stable to get upset by every little wrong in the world.

Edit: On topic: No, it never even crossed my mind.

Archived