Lollys [spoilers]

SlackBladder

I definitely felt bad for her and I think the way Martin mentions her in passing, as if she were an afterthought makes it even worse because he echoes our reactions to similar events - that's some masterful writing! As this thread shows quite well, people tend to not care about the troubles of others and through Lollys this is presented very well.

Lollys also makes me re-realize how unforgiving and cruel the world is (because parallels can be drawn to our world now quite easily) and though I sympathize I can't help but think that Shae's approach is the most sensible: it happens, all the time, actually, so why make a fuss over it? It's incredible how much a person can survive; sad that it's necessary, but incredible all the same. And admirable, in a way. So, while Shae was very rough and unforgiving about it, traits I abhor, she was also very practical - Lollys's life was still pretty good, compared to the majority of the people in Westeros, wasn't it?

I know it sounds dreadful... but I hardly think she was the only woman to be gang-raped in the revolt and left with a illegitimate child; the difference is the other women may not have survived because they had no access to a healer, or had no means to bring the child to term, or to feed it if they did, or ever get any sort of husband at all after that, etc. A sobering thought, I think.

EDIT: to add spoiler tags

Archived