Lollys [spoilers]

SlackBladder

Shae's comment was really callous, but she's also suffered some kind of sexual trauma at a young age so it might have been frustrating to her to see everyone fawn over this 30-something year old woman when no one gave her any sympathy when she was a little girl. Either that, or the idea of getting gang-banged by 50 guys didn't seem like a big deal to her anymore.

What happened to Lollys really saddened me and the fact that she probably had some kind of developmental disorder made me realize that this kind of stuff does happen in the real world all the time. If you've ever talked to anyone who works in an adult-assisted living home for the severely mentally disabled, you'll know that a lot of fucked up shit happens to the female patients, particularly the non-verbal ones.

Well ya, something bad happens to someone I don't know in a far away place my response would be along the lines of "that sucks" maybe with a WTF thrown in for good measure. This isn't a bad thing, empathy is good. Empathizing with every bad thing that happens in the world is not. That's the road that leads to being an emotional cripple.

And guilty conscious really? If you let yourself be really effected by fictional events it may be time to see a therapist because I think that may be a sign of mentally instability.

Is that the best insult you can offer up on the boards nowadays without fear of being reported? "If you care about fictional characters, you are mentally unstable and should seek help." That's a good one. Just because some of us have developed emotions and bonds to the characters doesn't mean squat about dangerous mental health. I take it you've never been moved by a movie, book, or play enough to feel something for the characters. More's the pity for you.

Maybe you should seek mental help, but oh wait, that's not a joke because millions of people suffer from imbalances in the brain and that's not really a laughing matter.

Is that the best insult you can offer up on the boards nowadays without fear of being reported? "If you care about fictional characters, you are mentally unstable and should seek help." That's a good one. Just because some of us have developed emotions and bonds to the characters doesn't mean squat about dangerous mental health. I take it you've never been moved by a movie, book, or play enough to feel something for the characters. More's the pity for you.

So when you read that scene you felt like you had been raped by 50 people? Cause that's what I was talking about when I said, empathy is good empathizing with every bad thing that happens in the world is not. Which isn't at all the same as your lame attempt at paraphrasing what I said. Empathy and caring about people are different things. Feeling something for a character is not the same thing as feeling the same thing as a character.

Maybe you should seek mental help, but oh wait, that's not a joke because millions of people suffer from imbalances in the brain and that's not really a laughing matter.

Don't fall off your high-horse now, you might get hurt.

So when you read that scene you felt like you had been raped by 50 people? Cause that's what I was talking about when I said, empathy is good empathizing with every bad thing that happens in the world is not. Which isn't at all the same as your lame attempt at paraphrasing what I said. Empathy and caring about people are different things. Feeling something for a character is not the same thing as feeling the same thing as a character.

I think you're severely exaggerating the concept of empathy. Being able to recognise how horrible it would feel to be raped does not equate the actual feeling of being raped.

Don't fall off your high-horse now, you might get hurt.

It's not so much a high horse as a filly that's been ridden by far too many people that I know and love, so when you make callous remarks like that it does strike me as unpleasant.

I think you're severely exaggerating the concept of empathy. Being able to recognise how horrible it would feel to be raped does not equate the actual feeling of being raped.

My understanding is that empathy is being able to put yourself in that person's shoes. I can empathize with being kicked in the balls, because I know what that feels like. However I cannot feel empathy for being raped, because I have not a clue what that feels like. I can however feel sympathy which would be recognizing that it would be horrible to be raped.

It's not so much a high horse as a filly that's been ridden by far too many people that I know and love, so when you make callous remarks like that it does strike me as unpleasant.

And yet the people I know who most often joke about mental instability are themselves mentally unstable.

What happened to Lollys really saddened me and the fact that she probably had some kind of developmental disorder made me realize that this kind of stuff does happen in the real world all the time. If you've ever talked to anyone who works in an adult-assisted living home for the severely mentally disabled, you'll know that a lot of fucked up shit happens to the female patients, particularly the non-verbal ones.

Same, it also made me think of the real world, and I think that's partially why it made me so sad. Rape always makes me emotional, fictional character or not.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I hope this thread is not indicative of the rest of this forum. Some of you would fit in quite well with Westerosi folk.

Rest assured, this thread is not indicative of the rest of this forum. This one flew under the radar somehow and I don't know why it didn't get locked and it also didn't gain the attention of some posters who would have dealt with some of these comments in a much better way than I did (which was going away and trying to forget what I read)!

Welcome to the forums and hope to talk again in a different thread!

I think its ironic that in the series we're met with an extremely harsh moment when Sansa's cornered and nearly raped during the riots but in the book we have a lesser lady being raped 50 times and met with not only indifferent and callous reactions from other characters but also from readers as well. Also this is my first post! Glad to be here! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think empathy dosed with a good sense of reality is the way to go. Shit DOES happen. Maybe I am a terrible person for this but I can`t feel any emotion for people I have never met, will never know and have absolutely no connection to me whatsoever. It doesn`t mean that if something were to happen to someone I know, but am not even remotely close to, I wouldn`t feel bad: of course I`d feel bad.

I don`t understand people with the empathy high horses. It`s not stable to get upset by every little wrong in the world.

Edit: On topic: No, it never even crossed my mind.

You guys are dicks.

I'm not usually that empathetic or emotional person even in the godamned real world, but at least I am(at least mildly)sympathetic when someone, ANYONE(even a fictional character)is raped.

I felt sorry for her and felt even more sorry for her when Tyrion and the others were more concerned with Sansa and her safety than the others. Granted if Sansa was defiled then the Jaime would surely be killed, but all the same GRRM captured in writing what realities happen when mob mentality takes over whether for good or bad reason. I felt even more annoyed when Shae brushes it off as they just f.ked her as it is no big deal and she is just with child again like it is no big deal. granted Shae has her own traumatized history that may counter to how she acts around Lollys. Sansa shows some pity and sympathy, but no one even tries not even her Lollys own sister. Maybe Lollys and Hodor would end of together they are both sweet and both deserve some happiness.

When mob mentality takes over very bad things happen and it does not matter if you are innocent or not. look at what happened when the basketball team in New York won about 10 years ago and the poilice knew what would happen and most called in sick and granted the team won and to celebrate people vandalized cars, threw stuff and raped a woman on her honeymoon in Central Park. It is tragic really what is even more tragic is that people go with the flow and they could have been at least one to stand up in the crowd to say stop whether it is fiction or not.

I am wondering if there will be more of Lollys and the point of her experience being brought up time and again as would be GRRM for us to throw something trivial and have it be something meaningful later on.

• 1 month later...

what happened to lollys sucks and the way people treat her afterwards sucks too but keep in mind this takes place in a mid-evil setting shea is a whore who was molested at a very young age…she came from a different realm and has worked for everything she has…she sees lollys as a lady who comes from money and has "an easy life...she indeed has the attitude that "stuff happens" at least your still alive…"get over it"...she also isn’t familiar with the concept that a lady doesn’t just spread her legs and have sex with just anybody...as far as shea is concerned she doesn’t comprehend why she is distraught at having sex...that is just another Monday for her..

as far as how the rest other kings landing treats her...in real life the general public hasn’t had a healthy view of handicapped people for very long...not even 100 years ago mentally disturbed people we thrown in a sanitarium and forgotten...it was just a fact of life...I know this is a fictional story but it is inspired by mid-evil events therefor the characters of the story share the mind sets of people in the mid-evil times...you can't judge the people of the past based on the standards of today

I realize this is an old thread but I’m relatively new to the forum but this thread caught my attention and I wanted to give my opinion :)

• 2 months later...

I always felt so bad for her when reading about her and I wanted to punch Shae > :(

I already hated Tv Shae...book Shae wasn't nearly as grating on the nerves...but after she was so nasty about Lolly...HATED her.

On topic...yes I felt really badly for her, especially when no one really seemed to care or show her any compassion about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel so horrible for Lollys, and Shae's snide comments about her make me feel like strangling her. Lollys has been through a bunch of things that nobody should ever have to go through, her mother wants to marry her off so that she would stay away, and nearly everyone in KL finds her plain, stupid, or physically repulsive. I'm pretty sure Lollys does not have any sort of mental illness; she's just not the smartest, not to mention the fact that she was raped by half a hundred men and left with a child. She had to have been in some sort of shock I'm certain.

Archived