The Tattered Prince is a Targaryen

Makes No Sansa

Nice.

My only objection would be: isn't he a little high profile to be the lost member of a famous House?

But that's my only objection.

You would think Varys would know if he was Gerion and had told Tywin or Tyrion while they were in KL. Not to mention if Gerion=Tattered Prince he should have Brightroar, right?

If they are one and the same, he's been fighting for 30 years, after going to Valyria and surviving. Damn, the Crow's Eye would look like a pansy compared to him.

You would think Varys would know if he was Gerion and had told Tywin or Tyrion while they were in KL. Not to mention if Gerion=Tattered Prince he should have Brightroar, right?

If they are one and the same, he's been fighting for 30 years, after going to Valyria and surviving. Damn, the Crow's Eye would look like a pansy compared to him.

Well Varys is good, but he isn't omniscient. I doubt he would know, and if he did know, there's no real reason for him to tell Tywin anyway.

Good point about Brightroar though. : / I don't remember any mention of the Tattered Prince's blade. I believe he is probably just some Pentoshi.

Didn't Gerion go across to look for Brightroar after Tyrion was born because Tyrion wanted to travel with him?

That would mean Gerion hasn't been over there long enough to have set up a 30 year old sellsword company surely.

And the Tattered Prince has been a sellsword for far longer time than the Windblown themselves existed - he is way older than Gerion.

There is another secret Targ. Right during Cerseis walk of shame, halfway to the Red Keep. The silver-haired guy there. He stands next to a fat woman with a beard. That's probably his dragon.

What, why don't you believe me? Everybody knows any person in Westeros is a secret Targ, unless they are Syrio Forel, a Faceless Man and probably still a Targ.

Can I sig this?

There is another secret Targ. Right during Cerseis walk of shame, halfway to the Red Keep. The silver-haired guy there. He stands next to a fat woman with a beard. That's probably his dragon.

What, why don't you believe me? Everybody knows any person in Westeros is a secret Targ, unless they are Syrio Forel, a Faceless Man and probably still a Targ.

No, that's a Faceless Man. He adorned the face of the REAL Pisswater Prince that was killed BEFORE Varys did the switch (his father killed him in a drunken rage). All that to foreshadow Tommen's death and Aegon VI fakeness. Hidden right under our nose. Everything make perfect sense.

The secret targ is obviously Russell Merryweather. Look into your heart, and you'll know it's true.

And the Tattered Prince has been a sellsword for far longer time than the Windblown themselves existed - he is way older than Gerion.

Or so he claims. There aren't exactly linkedin accounts to document sellsword employment history. How old is Gerion supposed to be? The only thing we really know is that he's younger than Tywin and Kevan. Tywin was about 60 when he died, so Gerion as 53 (as someone put the Tattered Prince earlier in this thread) works. I recall Tyrion catching a glimpse of the Tattered Prince from a distance (and getting a sharp look (of recognition?) in return) and putting him in his early sixties, but that just means he might have had several rough years and aged badly, as Brienne was described as having aged 10 years in a few months. His grey hair is described as "glinting gold" during his conversation with Quentyn; in the same conversation he talks about how the tattered cloak is an effective disguise because when he takes it off he's anonymous. He also just talks like a Lannister.

• 3 months later...

Nice.

My only objection would be: isn't he a little high profile to be the lost member of a famous House? But that's my only objection.

Not for an offshoot branch or bastard branch. But that's only my opinion. :)

I like the plausibility of the TP = Illyrio's goodbrother as well. However, I don't think there's enough textual evidence for this theory... and Rhaegar is dead. !!!!

• 4 months later...

Okay I think this topic is full of misinformation and speculation on basically poor reading. The Tattered Prince is 63 (they say he is older than 60 in aDwD) he didn't found the Windblown immediately but instead was with the Second Sons and two other companies before starting it with 6 mates (so 23 at leaving Pentos, few years maybe as much as 10 with other free companies and then founded the windblown and ran it for 30 years). He has silver hair, this could mean that he had light hair when he was younger and its fading or that he has Valyrian blood like most people of the old freehold (nobles in the free cities) and shares genetic stock with the original Targs from the freehold. Now his reason for wanting Pentos in my opinion is because he wants to go home and change how the city works and wants revenge for having to leave, I also think he has something to do with Illirio and Varys. Last bits I would like to say is Rhaegar is dead, George is not one to re-use a trick so as such he would not have (f?)Aegon and Rhaegar and to be fair he would not want that many mystery Targs, and all the other theories such as Jon, Varys and Tyrion have much more founding. I also think that there is little to no chance that tatters is Tyrion's uncle... they didn't have cosmetic surgery back then, only scars, hair colour change, weight loss a beard or faceless man magics (Gerrion is even less likely to be a faceless man) so as such I think that theory is weak at best, dumb at worst.

Hope this helps some people out.

Usually if I make a thread on a book or game forum I fact check the wiki and the books/source material. It saves you from people calling you crazy if you can tell them why you have the theory :P

• 1 year later...

No age given for Gerion, but the Tattered Prince is 53.

"The Windblown went back thirty years, and had known but one commander, the soft-spoken, sad-eyed Pentoshi nobleman called the Tattered Prince. His hair and mail were silver-grey, but his ragged cloak was made of twists of cloth of many colors, blue and grey and purple, red and gold and green, magenta and vermilion and cerulean, all faded by the sun. When the Tattered Prince was three-and-twenty, as Dick Straw told the story, the magisters of Pentos had chosen him to be their new prince, hours after beheading their old prince."

Tatters is about 60 or so. You left out the part of the passage where he serves with other companies before founding the Windblown.

I AGREE

Qyburn approves

I believe Tatty is exactly who we think he is. He's one of the few interesting characters from Essos, i know, but secret identities are hard to hide when you are out there and known around Essos, like a leader of a mercenary group. It's better to appear insignificant, as Ned's bastard or Young Griff, for example. Some Brightflame or Blackfyre blood is possible, i guess.

• 3 months later...

I think the Tattered Prince is what his name says he is: a Prince. It was there for us to see, as well as him keeping his name a secret, speaking High Valyrian, having a special fondness for Westerosi people...

I think he is a descendant of Aerion Brightflame Targaryen who was exiled/sent on holidays by his father Maekar I to Lys and had a son. He could also be Rhaegar himself, but that would mean all his background story is all made up, but who knows.

I just happen to think he is a Targaryen, no matter how tired you are of freaking secret Targaryens, LOL.

This has definitely been suggested before. Don't worry, a lot of fans suspect the same as you.

I agree he is a 'lost' prince from some royal family. Doesn't HAVE to be the Targaryens though. Could be a diminished member from one of the royal Valyrian houses in Volantis. Or he could be the last member of one of the other great houses from Valyria, as some did escape the doom.

Could also be a Blackfyre or Targaryen. No matter what, I think it is clear that he is royalty of some kind. Plus Illyrio is in Pentos and his first marraige was to......what was it...a daughter of the prince of Pentos of something. My best guess is that the Tattered Prince has something to do with that as Pentos is the city he is requesting from Dany.

I know that nearly everybody will be a secret Targaryen and I don't like these, but somehow I feel too that the Tattered Prince is actually a Targaryen, me too made a thread about this before (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/121196-the-tattered-prince-is-the-blood-of-dragon/). Aerion's son Maegor born about 232, the Tattered is described as well past 60, so in my opinion he can even be Maegor.

Archived