The ultimate fate of Daenerys Targaryen.

acmoore

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this is a topic that has been discussed before. I've been reading around and haven't seen it brought up before, so I figured I would take a whack at it.

I have some thoughts on the ultimate fate of Daenerys Targaryen. It seems that there is at least some consensus on these boards regarding where everyone thinks Dany's story is going, and I don't tend to agree with these predictions. The prevailing theory seems to be that Dany, currently somehwere in the Dothraki Sea with Drogon, is about to begin her journey of conquest towards Westeros, gathering an army along the way, stopping back in Mereen to win the big battle, meet up with Tyrion and Victarion, stopping off in Volantis, and then moving on to Westeros to set things straight and use her dragons to defeat the Others. Most theories I've read seem to be some variation on this theme. I don't think that this is necessarily a bad theory, but it seems a little too obvious for GRRM. It also doesn't seem like it would fit with the tone and themes of the story so far.

I happen to think that when all is said and done, it won't be Dany sitting on the Iron Throne in Westeros, ruling justly and making everyone happy. In fact, I think there is a pretty good chance that Dany will not make it out of the seventh book's endgame alive.

I interperet Quaithe's advice/prophecy to Dany to be a pretty explicit instruction to go to Asshai, to "pass beneath the shadow", and learn some special sort of truth. It seems like Asshai has quite a bit of dragon-related knowledge, and might know something that Dany needs to know in order to properly handle her dragons when they are full grown. GRRM has also hinted that we will not see Asshai, except perhaps in flashbacks (likely from Melisandre). So perhaps Dany is supposed togo to Asshai, but won't. This could turn out very poorly for her in the end. Perhaps going into the series' endgame without this "truth" she needs from Asshai will cost her her life when it comes down to it.

Even if Dany does survive, I don't think she will end up ruling Westeros. It seems that her motivation for wanting to conquer Westeros seems to stem from a lack of any other real motivation. She has been in such a crappy situation her whole life that the promise of conquering Westeros was what kept her going. For a long time it was her brother Viserys's drive to conquer that kept them moving, and now it has transferred on to her. I don't think she's really thought through what she would do when she does take over.

If I had to guess what Dany will end up doing (if not dying), is ending up in Westeros with whatever party she picks up along the way, playing a pivotal role in the endgame of the story, getting disillusioned with the very idea of monarchy and leaving to live secretly and peacefully in her house-with-the-red-door in Braavos under a new identity.

Thoughts? Am I waaaay off base?

That might be a possibility, but its a WAAAAYYY TOO NICE OF AN ENDING FOR DANY. She will probably be Queen , which is something she does not want to do but rather needs to do, as we seen her saying " I would give it all away for the house with the red door and the lemon tree" if anything she will end up doing something that she even hates more then ruling. I'm thinking maybe Dosh Khaleen ?

Well this is part of my more overall theory that the events of aSoIaF will put an end to the political status quo of the Seven Kingdoms and there maybe not even be a king/queen of Westeros when all is said and done. Maybe they return to being seperate kingdoms, maybe they become some sort of meritocracy, maybe they form some sort if republic, I wouldn't hazard a guess there. I would guess that the way things have worked in Westeros for centuries will most certainly not be how they work post-aDoS. A major theme in the books seems to be the injustice of this medieval system of ruling, and it would make sense thematically for the world to cast that aside.

Well this is part of my more overall theory that the events of aSoIaF will put an end to the political status quo of the Seven Kingdoms and there maybe not even be a king/queen of Westeros when all is said and done. Maybe they return to being seperate kingdoms, maybe they become some sort of meritocracy, maybe they form some sort if republic, I wouldn't hazard a guess there. I would guess that the way things have worked in Westeros for centuries will most certainly not be how they work post-aDoS. A major theme in the books seems to be the injustice of this medieval system of ruling, and it would make sense thematically for the world to cast that aside.

You cant cast it totally aside maybe they will pull a Polish-esk system where the szlachta(nobles) pick the ruler that would be best suited if the next one in the line of succession is not a desirable one. You cant just give power to peasants that dont know anything about anything. Its not America guys the peasants are not pilgrims.

The house with the red door and lemon tree outside her window is her desire for her childhood back. As for living under a new identity, unless someone else has a trio of dragons, I don't know how she can assume a new identity without the dragons being a dead giveaway.

I agree that Dany won't sit the Iron Throne in the end; I don't think she's the most qualified candidate, besides not being the true Targaryen heir. I don't even know if she'll survive the series, I think there's a chance she will die in childbirth.

The house with the red door and lemon tree outside her window is her desire for her childhood back. As for living under a new identity, unless someone else has a trio of dragons, I don't know how she can assume a new identity without the dragons being a dead giveaway.

I agree that Dany won't sit the Iron Throne in the end; I don't think she's the most qualified candidate, besides not being the true Targaryen heir. I don't even know if she'll survive the series, I think there's a chance she will die in childbirth.

What do you mean not being the true Targaryen heir, she is the only Targaryen left.

Check out the R+L=J threads.

Ok i thught you were heading there, Jon is most likely a bastard anyway thinking he is not one is just wishful thinking, and even if he is not proving so would be just to damn hard, so in the eyes of the people Dany is the only proved heir.

I dont care who sits the Iron throne............as long as its not Dany

She would be the worst possible queen and il tell you why

She knows nothing about westeros or its people. She refers to everyone as "usurpers dogs" like they were all so evil and plotting the downfall of her family.She has no concept of the fact that her father was a crazy lunatic who basically forced the rebellion to start. She thinks its romantic and not stupid that rhaegar stole a powerful lords daughter thats also another powerful lords soon to be wife(i know she went willing but Dany dosnt know). If in two books she all of a sudden trains her dragons,conquers the seven kingdoms without pissing off everyone,and then goes on to kill the others i wont be happy. I think that would make no sense for how this story is going. i trust in GRRM that wont happen tho

To me, her fate seems pretty straightforward (unlike most of the characters, about whom I have no idea): helps save Westeros, unites Westeros but never rules it, marries for a third time (probably Jon), gets knocked up, dies in childbirth bearing a living child, dreams of Drogo as she dies.

(Not that the TV show is canon, but this seems pretty consistent with the TV version of the House of the Undying vision: snow everywhere, sees the Iron Throne but never sits in it, winds up at the Wall, sees not only Drogo but also her son Rhaego, which seems pretty clearly to foreshadow her demise.)

Ok i thught you were heading there, Jon is most likely a bastard anyway thinking he is not one is just wishful thinking, and even if he is not proving so would be just to damn hard, so in the eyes of the people Dany is the only proved heir.

Aegon?

Archived