The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron

AncalagonTheBlack

I've heard from reliable sources that the first UK print run of A Game of Throne was ridiculously small - something in the region of 1,600. It's amazing to think that SFX gave it a scathing review. By any objective measure, it's an excellent epic fantasy novel. Though perhaps the reviewer had their sensibilities offended by the paradigm shift towards gritty realism AGoT represented; I recall I had just read the Silmarillion when when I picked it up and the incest/bad language/underage sex didn't sit well with me at first. Took me a while to adapt. In fact, I almost posted a "I am highly offended" 1-star review on Amazon. Really glad I didn't do that now...

Back on topic, The Red Knight is high on my to-read list. A bit disappointed to read some of the early reviews are mixed.

Holy shit. I didn't think people like you actually existed. I just thought there was some computer farm in the basement of a megachurch, and they churned out 'i'm offended' reviews to popular media.

Fuck, worth signing on today to see sensitive folks like you still roam around in the world

Holy shit. I didn't think people like you actually existed. I just thought there was some computer farm in the basement of a megachurch, and they churned out 'i'm offended' reviews to popular media.

Fuck, worth signing on today to see sensitive folks like you still roam around in the world

Uh, dude... did you actually read the full post, or did the opportunity to jump in with your dick out overwhelm your ability to process what I actually wrote? You know, the whole thing - not just a sentence. Context is important.

I first read Game of Thrones when I was 17-18, having never read a fantasy of its kind before. That's the reason for my initial reaction back in 2000 (or whenever is was) and my possible theory for why the SFX reviewer didn't take to it back then either.

Martin's one of my favourite authors. I wrote my own dark epic fantasy which is every bit as violent and "offensive". We even share the same US agent. Hence my great relief that I did not, in fact, end up being the "sensitive" sort you so obviously despise and post a 1-star review for a book that would become one of my greatest inspirations.

I think I'll save your post for quoting in future interviews. It's a doozy!

Just finished this...really good read. I loved the seige battles - haven't read a good one since Legend. Hoping the next book is just as good, author says due out sometime Sept 2013.

I liked the whole mystery with the Red Knights birth...I'm still a bit confused though as to when he tells the King who he is - why the King is shocked. I can't find how to hide spoilers...but anyone get that?

Uh, dude... did you actually read the full post, or did the opportunity to jump in with your dick out overwhelm your ability to process what I actually wrote? You know, the whole thing - not just a sentence. Context is important.

I first read Game of Thrones when I was 17-18, having never read a fantasy of its kind before. That's the reason for my initial reaction back in 2000 (or whenever is was) and my possible theory for why the SFX reviewer didn't take to it back then either.

Martin's one of my favourite authors. I wrote my own dark epic fantasy which is every bit as violent and "offensive". We even share the same US agent. Hence my great relief that I did not, in fact, end up being the "sensitive" sort you so obviously despise and post a 1-star review for a book that would become one of my greatest inspirations.

I think I'll save your post for quoting in future interviews. It's a doozy!

Well, I'm glad he brought you around. I thought this might be some sort of 'thing' for you. Something that might indicate what kind of person you are. Those that are are easily offended. I fucking hate those people.

And I've kicked puppies today, so I'm in a better mood.

Just finished this...really good read. I loved the seige battles - haven't read a good one since Legend. Hoping the next book is just as good, author says due out sometime Sept 2013.

I liked the whole mystery with the Red Knights birth...I'm still a bit confused though as to when he tells the King who he is - why the King is shocked. I can't find how to hide spoilers...but anyone get that?

Since his mother is a princess and the Red Knight mentioned that his birth involved incest, the main candidates for being the Red Knight's father are the current king or the previous king. The Gallean knight implied that the King currently has no heirs which would rule out any uncles or cousins.

As a result, potential dialogue options for the Red Knight include, "I know you screwed your sister," to "Yo, bro. Sup?" Either way, it's likely the Red Knight is in line for the throne.

The spoiler tag is [spoiler-] [/spoiler-] Just take out the dashes and it should work.

Having a hard time getting into this book. I might have to read 'The Daylight War' instead of this one.

Oh my God.

I think this kicked the shit out of anything Brett has written so far. I thought it was good reminded me of some strange mix of David Gemmel and Glen Coook

Interested to see how it all plays out.

Oh my God.

I think this kicked the shit out of anything Brett has written so far. I thought it was good reminded me of some strange mix of David Gemmel and Glen Coook

Interested to see how it all plays out.

I'm sticking with it. Everyone is starting to converge, and it's getting a little better.

This makes me sound like a fucking idiot, but I'm having a hard time keeping track of the POV's. Maybe it's the way the Nook version is set up, but the chapter breaks are real abrupt, and for some reason that's making me forget who the hell is being focused on in that chapter. I'm just starting to work out who is who. That's not really like me, but for some reason, this book has brought it on.

So the consensus is that this is worth picking up?

My "To Be Read" pile is almost manageable at the moment... but I have a good list of things that I'm going to add to it soon.

The book starts off slow but really picks up after the first third or so. Honestly, the best comparison I can come up with is The Black Company, for those who have read that series. I think it pretty similar actually; it has much the same feel and an almost equivalent subject matter (i.e., the trials and tribulations of a mercenary company).

I'm anticipating the second book and feel the series has a lot of potential but, in order for it to really succeed, some of the other characters will have to develop into more engaging POVs. The Captain was very good but some of the other POVs which, I had at first thought promising, never really developed into much of anything. The Queen, in particular, I was hoping would be far more interesting than she ended up being. A POV from Sauce would have been nice too. My view is that it's always a good idea to have great female characters (see A Song of Ice and Fire).

In any case, I do recommend the book.

Archived