The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron

AncalagonTheBlack

....thurkan the daemon from the red knight was referenced as thorkan in this one too...so many little changes i wonder why

Are you sure ? I did a search for both 'thurkan' and 'thorkan' in my ebook of The Fell Sword and found no matches . :dunno:

but i think there is a galahad in this book

Actually there are 2 Galahad's :

1.Galahad Acon - King's messenger (in Book #1)

2. Galahad d’Acre - King's squire (in Book #2)

Why not tweet the author or ask him on reddit on the 25th (he's doing an AMA)? It's probably an editorial decision or a mistake that his editors didn't catch.

Speaking of, I mentioned this earlier, but since I am rereading TRK, I think it needs to be mentioned again: Cameron needed better editors. Ones who had access to at least a rough map of Alba. Because he fucks up the relationship between Lissen Carak and Albinkirk a LOT. Like, at least a half dozen times and I've got more than a third left to read.

• 7 months later...

So I'm finally reading The Fell Sword (because after complaining about The Red Knight on my first read, I tried again some time later and loved it), and I have a question: was I the only one who failed to notice while reading the first book that

the entire book, including the kingdom of Alba aka obviously England, is in fact taking place on part of a continent that is essentially America, albeit one seemingly a lot closer to Europe? Like, in book two suddenly there's references to it being Nova Terra and to some of the tribes in the wild being obviously Native American and all sorts of North American wildlife and that, and I don't remember

any of this from before.

• 5 months later...

Blurb for The Dread Wyrm:

SOME ARE BORN TO POWER

SOME SEIZE IT

AND SOME HAVE THE WISDOM NEVER TO WIELD IT

The Red Knight has stood against soldiers, against armies and against the might of an empire without flinching. He's fought on real and on magical battlefields alike, and now he's facing one of the greatest challenges yet.

A tournament.

A joyous spring event, the flower of the nobility will present arms and ride against each other for royal favour and acclaim. It's a political contest - and one which the Red Knight has the skill to win. But the stakes may be higher than he thinks. The court of Alba has been infiltrated by a dangerous faction of warlike knights, led by the greatest knight in the world: Jean de Vrailly - and the prize he's fighting for isn't royal favour, but the throne of Alba itself.

Where there is competition there is opportunity; the question is, will the Red Knight take it? Or will the creatures of the Wild seize their chance instead...

UK cover art:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91pmbYTwkWL._SL1500_.jpg

Blurb for The Dread Wyrm:

SOME ARE BORN TO POWER

SOME SEIZE IT

AND SOME HAVE THE WISDOM NEVER TO WIELD IT

The Red Knight has stood against soldiers, against armies and against the might of an empire without flinching. He's fought on real and on magical battlefields alike, and now he's facing one of the greatest challenges yet.

A tournament.

A joyous spring event, the flower of the nobility will present arms and ride against each other for royal favour and acclaim. It's a political contest - and one which the Red Knight has the skill to win. But the stakes may be higher than he thinks. The court of Alba has been infiltrated by a dangerous faction of warlike knights, led by the greatest knight in the world: Jean de Vrailly - and the prize he's fighting for isn't royal favour, but the throne of Alba itself.

Where there is competition there is opportunity; the question is, will the Red Knight take it? Or will the creatures of the Wild seize their chance instead...

UK cover art:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91pmbYTwkWL._SL1500_.jpg

This sounds great. I'm sure I'll get this.

Still wish they had not suddenly changed to paperback only.

Book is listed on Orionbooks website as October 2015

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9780575113374https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9780575113374

• 2 months later...

Just finished The Fell Sword.

I really, really liked it, having already been very enamoured with The Red Knight. I found myself amazed and continously impressed at how damn efficient Miles Cameron's writing is while still being fun to read: barely a page of the book was wasted, absolutely everything was there that needed to be with no wasted time. In the hands of lesser authors this book could've been well over twice the length, or else not been able to fit so much in. While it was perhaps easier in TRK, due to all of the characters being in roughly the same place and all their actions relatively directly effecting each other, it must have been harder to sufficiently deal with all the characters he'd set up (as well as many new ones) so concisely. Great book, really looking forward to the rest of the series.

If you take it in terms of the overarching narrative some stuff could've been cut, but I feel that everything was in some way related to the main narrative, and if you take it in terms of the narrative of the book itself then no time is wasted. There's almost no fluff, no time spent with characters more than is necessary to show us something happening or some important character development.

[spoiler]In terms of how the book related to the main series narrative I think it was all quite important. The events in Harndon are all obviously relevant, with the stories relating to Pye's workshop, Jarsay, De Vraillys influence, the war of slander on the Queen, etc, all being done relatively succintly but setting up major narratives for the next book. Everything the Red Knight did was directly related to his efforts in Morea, which in turn are important as, at the end of the book, he is now the Duke of Thrake with control over the armies of a unified Morea, with the gratitude of the emperor and leverage over the princess, which will be of great help if he wishes to try and claim Alba and bring it into the empire which he has a massive amount of power and respect in, and these events also led to Harmodius obtaining a new body, and he will obviously end up being a major player on one side or the other. The Morean storyline also served to introduce and show us the relatively quick progression of Mortirmir, who will likely become an even more important character related to Gabriels story. Same with Kronmir; relevant first to the immediate story of the conflict between Gabriel and Andronicus, and perhaps will stay around as a character to assist him later. The events in the northwest with the Wild were all relevant, with various powers realigning in preparation for the coming war, with the stories of Bill, Nita, Ota, Tapio, and Thorn all being important to this narrative. De Marche and Hartmut in the north were important insofar as setting up the Gallish aggression in Nova Terra and the conflict that will arise there, and the very small amount of stuff in the Gallish court was important in setting up tensions within Galle and the possibility of civil war, or at the very least, incredibly strained relationships between the king and some of his more powerful subjects. 

I really can't think of anything in this book which didn't achieve something important or wasted time, to be honest. In fact, in retrospect I feel it tried to be a little too concise where it could easily have used another 50-100 pages or so, to flesh out one or two characters and to show us the aftermath of the story. For example, I would have very much liked to know the specific directions that Kronmir and Mortirmir are going in, as well as what happens with the Emperor restored to power and between Gabriel and the Princess (considering the fact that he knows that she was one of the original betrayers), and exactly what status Gabriel has with being both the Megas Ducas, and also heading off to Alba with his own private company.

Edit: Talking of conciseness, there were a few things that stood out to me that made me realise how short this book was compared to what it could've been, or would've been in the hands of a worse author. For one, the incredible brevity of some of the small chapters relating to minor characters: when dealing with Clarissa, Kronmir, Andronicus/Aeskepiles, or that Morean riding officer in the wild, the sections would often barely be 2 or 3 pages, sometimes less than a page, just enough to tell us what we need to be told and no more. The second thing was noticing storylines and subplots that other authors probably would've spent so much more time fleshing out and wasting time on when no time needed to be wasted: Mortirmirs aethereal progression, minor romances between various characters, the personalities/development of some of the more minor characters who were only there for the window they provided us into events (ie, Clarissa), and so on. Sure, if I went through it I could find some more bits that we didn't need and that could've been cut by a page or two, but the amount of stuff that happens in this book would likely have taken at least several hundred more pages in the hands of many other authors.

[/spoiler]

I never posted again after reading the second book, but one thing the series needs is some consistency. Names and relationships change from book to book and sometimes chapter to chapter. It's *really* distracting.

Yeah, that drove me nuts. It's really bad, to the point I like to hope some of it was a publisher fuck up. It's like two drafts of the book got merged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Posts that didn't make it to new forum after upgrade.

New series news and writing update from Miles/Christian Cameron:

He has a brand new fantasy series that will be out in Feb 2017.

The Master (Masters & Mages #1) by Miles Cameron – 16 Feb 2017

Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Gollancz (16 Feb. 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1473217679
ISBN-13: 978-1473217676

"Aranthur is a student. He showed a little magical talent, is studying at the local academy, and is nothing particularly special. Others are smarter. Others are more talented. Others are quicker to pick up techniques. But none of them are with him when he breaks his journey home for the holidays in an inn. None of them step in to help when a young woman is thrown off a passing stage coach into the deep snow at the side of the road. And none of them are drawn into a fight to protect her.
One of the others might have realised she was manipulating him all along . . .

A powerful story about beginnings, coming of age, and the way choosing to take one step towards violence can lead to a slippery and dangerous slope, this is an accomplished fantasy series driven by strong characters and fast-paced action."

http://www.hippeis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1394.0

His writing schedule:

Right now, I am writing the last Arimnestos book (Rage of Ares, maybe) and it'll be done in 3-4 weeks.

Then, William Gold III
Then Tom Swan 16-20.
Then Red Knight V (the conclusion) as Red Knight 4 is written.
then Secret Project II.(The Master (Masters & Mages #1))

http://www.hippeis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1395.0

Archived