How do you read?

Wow, so many hard adepts of paper books. I used to be so till I got my Ipad and learned that I could read on my android phone on the go (crowded bus). I'll share a link to provoke you paper lovers :devil: : http://www.jamierubin.net/2012/08/13/retro-post-15-use-cases-comparing-e-books-to-traditional-books-an-illustrated-list/

Japes aside, I'm not a native English speaker. I read the book version of AGoT (yes, THE version, there are no such things as hardbacks and paperbacks here, just a canon softcover good quality paper brick size book) whose translated title is "The War of the Thrones". Immediately after I got a PDF of the translated ACoK ("The Kings' Fury") and read it on my computer. After a reading break I got an Ipad and read ASoS using iBooks.

When it came to AFfC I decided to try English and purchased the Kindle edition. To simply tap a word and get its dictionary entry or to have Google Images ready for those obscure castle parts, armor and clothing words was amazing. It made the reading so much easier. I enjoyed the books a lot and learned a great deal of vocabulary too.

I just finished ADwD on my Ipad (and Android phone) today and I am helpless. I spent nearly three months reading ASoIaF almost every night, now I feel hollow without more Westeros to read. :bawl:

After this amazing experience I will never ever read a foreign language paper book again. Ebook it is.

I read the first 4 in paperback and ADWD in hardcover. I don't have a tablet, so its the old fashioned way for me, though I do have to say reading ADWD in hardcover was torture, the book is way to clunky and heavy to be comfortable reading for long periods of time since I tend to shift positions a lot.

I read the first 4 in paperback, ADwD on my nook (it was sold it when i went to get it). It was the first book i read on a tablet, and I thought I'd hate it. I'm kind of a luddite. But it was actually kind of cool. I still prefer the analog route, but I have to say that the e-reader was a much better experience than I ever could have anticipated. In fact, I've read ADwD 3 or 4 more times on there.

I read the first 4 in paperback and ADWD in hardcover. I don't have a tablet, so its the old fashioned way for me, though I do have to say reading ADWD in hardcover was torture, the book is way to clunky and heavy to be comfortable reading for long periods of time since I tend to shift positions a lot.

Yes. I also shift positions a lot, which is my main gripe with hardcovers. This was the biggest thing to get used to with the nook, the way it shifts from horizontal to vertical or you can lock it. I've got a system now but I struggled with it at first. Operator failure.

I still read a book if I have it, but for travel and what not the e-reader is an awesome invention. It's so compact and light - can't say enough about how useful it is and how little room it takes up in your pack or whatever. And the fact that I can get a new book without going to the store is pretty sweet if I'm feeling lazy.

I read it on my iPad and iPod depending on which one is with me, and iCloud helps me keep the same bookmarks in either one

I have read AGOT and ACOK as paperback books, but the problem I have with reading paper books is when I'm lying down on my bed it's harder to read because I have to turn the pages etc.

I illegally downloaded them and read them in my laptop. This is something I usually do, and if I like the book, I buy the paperback (I still don't get DwD because it isn't available yet in my country... and I prefer to read in my native language).

Well, I'll be fair, all my paperbacks are in bad shape right now. I bought ADWD on the Kindle because I was tired of waiting & I was upset that the paperback issue was pushed back to March, & I thought if it cost less on Kindle that the publishers would get less money. (I'm petty that way.) But, I broke my original Kindle & had to buy a new one (not a Kindle Fire yet). I got Dunk & Egg on Kindle because I couldn't find the anthologies anywhere else.

Archived