Which character has changed the most over the course of the series?

TheMaimedKnight

Definetly Jamie, he's gone from pushing children out of windows to refusing tywins offer to take off his white cloak so he can become heir to Casterly Rock, he also saved Brienne from being raped, gave her a valyrian sword and refused his sisters advances

Shes not as ignorant of the world as she once was, true, but when has she ever shown any coldness? The old traits "popping back" gave me the impression that she was in the process of changing more than being changed.

Change is still occurring, but a lot has happened already, which I think secures her a spot in at least the top three characters who've changed the most.

The whole "porcelain to ivory to steel" and all the blabbering on about how her courtesy is her armor, combined with how closed-off she is from the world in KL (especially during her marriage to Tyrion) shows just how cold she's gotten. She's less cold now, but still lies to LF and doesn't give anything away without a fight.

Change is still occurring, but a lot has happened already, which I think secures her a spot in at least the top three characters who've changed the most.

The whole "porcelain to ivory to steel" and all the blabbering on about how her courtesy is her armor, combined with how closed-off she is from the world in KL (especially during her marriage to Tyrion) shows just how cold she's gotten. She's less cold now, but still lies to LF and doesn't give anything away without a fight.

You make a good point, though my top three would be Theon, Arya, and Jaime.

You make a good point, though my top three would be Theon, Arya, and Jaime.

Theon is definitely up there. Not sure if I'd put Arya at second, though. Jaime makes my top five for sure.

I don't think LS's character dev really counts, as it was less Catelyn developing and more a transformation spurred by magical means. If you can argue for Catelyn to Stoneheart being development, you could say that the Stark kids develop and then un-develop ever time they warg.

Shes not as ignorant of the world as she once was, true, but when has she ever shown any coldness? The old traits "popping back" gave me the impression that she was in the process of changing more than being changed.

Her willingness to lie about Lysa's death, and condemn Marillion, is evidence for coldness. I don't blame her for it, as I don't think she had any realistic choice (either Marillion had to die, or she and LF would die) but I can't see the Sansa of AGOT carrying it off.

Theres a difference between traumatized and crazy, and if attempting to attack a lightly held castle makes you crazy than a lot of characters in this book qualify.

The difference between attacking a "castle" with people you know versus people you don't, is a much bigger difference then traumatized and crazy. I can think of no other instance through out the story where a "hand full" of men lead by a total stranger takes a castle by force. Or even attempt it for that matter.

There's lots of examples and I think it's up to people's intepretation quite a bit. I see big changes in Theon, Danaerys, Arya and Bran to think of a few.

Jaime's change is amazing and lovely and yay but it's a case of him becoming what he always wanted to be, what he always was inside, that the sisterfucking and kingslaying distorted.

I disagree about seeing change in Sansa. She's less of a daydreamer, but that comes with age anyway. You would expect anyone who has seen what she has to no longer beleive in great knights in shining armour anymore. Having said that, she remains just as placid and vulnerable in my view. Her nature has not changed.

Bran has changed so much - he wanted to be a knight, and instead he's a greenseer who has to simply observe and reflect rather than be in on the action.

Arya has changed from being a wild little girl with a big heart, to being a vengeaful and dangerous young woman. Her character has become a lot darker.

Danaerys has gone from being a vulnerable little girl... to being an opinionated and highly strung woman I don't like all that much :-p

I don't think I could say it better than you already have.

The difference between attacking a "castle" with people you know versus people you don't, is a much bigger difference then traumatized and crazy. I can think of no other instance through out the story where a "hand full" of men lead by a total stranger takes a castle by force. Or even attempt it for that matter.

Well now youre just splitting hairs. He had already led the men into battle once and the castle barely had men in it. His decision to attack Winterfell was wrong IMO, I'm just saying he wasn't crazy for doing it.

Theon is almost totally transformed, so he has to be #1.

Sansa and Jaime are changing, Sansa going through a toughening process through hardship and mentoring by Lord Petyr and Jaime getting away from Cersei's domination and manipulation of him.

I don't see Arya changing a lot. More that she's concentrating her energy and becoming focused. But she's like 9 years old, lots of time to grow is she survives.

I don't see Arya changing a lot. More that she's concentrating her energy and becoming focused. But she's like 9 years old, lots of time to grow is she survives.

Was literally about to type this until I saw this post. What has really changed all that much about Arya? She was always vengeful, dark and wild. The only thing different is she is trained and disciplined.

As for the question at hand, I believe Jaime has changed the most. His whole character has changed... what he deems important, his values, what he wants for his future. I agree Theon has changed significantly as well but I feel like he has lived two lives and therefore is somewhat exempt from making the list.

I agree that Arya hasn't changed much. She was wild and direct and following her own moral compass in GoT and it has never changed. She was never one to turn the other cheek. If someone wronged her she strikes back.

The only thing that's changed is that she's learning death is cheap and is more prone to kill. She probably would've killed snotty ol' Joff back in GoT by the time she was in the Riverlands subsequent novels.

Was literally about to type this until I saw this post. What has really changed all that much about Arya? She was always vengeful, dark and wild. The only thing different is she is trained and disciplined.

I think she has changed an awful lot. Think of her first kill (the stable boy) - even though it was a clear self-defence, she was really shaken up. Now she kills Dareon and the insurance guy and it's no big deal at all for her.

I think Jaime is the most changed charachter in ASOIAF World. The difference between ACOF and ASOS...incredible. Probably the second would be Theon or Sansa, both of them have changed a lot in their POVS. Jon Snow has changed also, but I just think that him has matured

Sansa has changed alot as other posters noted, when we first met her she had idealized, romantic notions of royalty and knights, avoided associating with smallfolk and the like, and judged people based on their appearance. By AFfC, she is more hardened and realistic, she talks with people she wouldn't have considered before like Lothor Brune and learns to look beyond appearances and status.

Jaime has also undergone major change since he lost his hand. When we first meet him, he is easy to hate, as he is arrogant, callous, shallow and immoral with his morality being centered around Cersei. He manages to change to the point that he thinks (paraphrasing) "That boy wanted to be Arthur Dayne, but instead somewhere along the way he became the Smiling Knight." He even learns to appreciate inner beauty to the point he starts falling for Brienne.

Jon has changed from a teenage boy with a high opinion of himself to a mature, humble man of sixteen years, hardened by loss and bloodied in battle.

Archived