Which character has changed the most over the course of the series?

TheMaimedKnight

Sansa HAS changed. She went from annoying little spoiled girl to someone who's far less idealistic. However....Parts of me feel this isnt entirely as positive as it seems. Sure, its wonderful shes more astute, but i think its come at a truly great cost. Poor Sansa has created some serious mental blockades. Pushing away truly unpleasant things to the point where she forgets they even happened to an extent. (See Lysa incident for details) She has learned to lie better and keep up her mask but she is also lying to herself. Its pretty tragic and i really hope she becomes Sansa again. (without the super idealistic naivety.) We saw a bit of the real Sansa in the snow castle scene. Its one reason why that scene just breaks my heart. Yes, she has developed a great deal and not all of it is positive. But in the long run, i think it will be once she finds herself again!

Jaime has definitely changed. He went from deplorable assmunch to a guy whos totally rethinking his entire purpose. Thanks, Brienne! <3 Love ya, homegirl! The loss of his hand also contributed in a huge way.

Theon. Just...Theon. I really dont like him but i cannot deny that he has undergone HUGE changes. Cocky, but suffering some family issues. He blunders along and ends up in the hands of the nastiest dude in Westeros. Its then he realizes where he should have been. When he admitted that he wanted to be a Stark at long last, thats when i was all " :crying: " But i am still rather angry with him. Prove yourself to me, Theon! I have faith that you can!!

Dany. She went from meek little girl to a very strong personality. The thing that was holding her back died. She grew into a formidable figure in her own right. She just needs to iron out the kinks in her ruling capabilities.

Arya is learning how to be less impulsive. I actually feel that the Dareon incident will be her last truly impulsive act. She still has her fire and wolf's blood, but i think running headfirst into situations has come and gone.

Jon. Wow...."Kill the boy." indeed. Dude was a bit of a whinger in the first book. His cushy upbringing as a bastard gave him a feeling of superiority and entitlement. He had to learn the hard way that in the Night's Watch, it dont even matter. On top of that, he had to rethink his own ideas about what he was taught. The Night's Watch isnt so very noble anymore. The wildlings arent quite the savages everyone painted them out to be. And love can come at some of the most unexpected times. Even then, it can slip away as fast as it came. (poor Ygritte...) Jon learned that things are often not as they seem. Even being Lord Commander wasnt what it seemed. He took what he learned from the wildlings and was able to learn compromise. Something even Stannis was hardpressed to do. Due to this, he was able to know that Melisandre couldnt be trusted. He still has a ways to go too. For i do not believe hes dead for good.

For me, Jaime has changed the most. Having lost his hand, he could have gone into depression (and probably that would have been his fate if Brienne wouldn't have been with him at Harrenhal), but his reaction has been exactly the opposite: Jaime wants to prove he's more than a sword, and this objective changed him totally.

Theon was also changed by the circumstances, but his transformation appears to be the expected reaction of a man who had been arrogant and proud and now, because of Ramsay's tortures, is nothing but Reek. However, he's clearly in his way to redemption.

I'm up for the vote on Sansa. From dreamy, naive, very shallow young girl who thought she only ever wanted a pretty life, pretty things and a pretty marriage, turns into someone more realistic, more observant, more careful, more humble and more mature. Probably in the long run too, she will be the key to her own success - instead of depending on others to "save" her like she originally expected her role to be, she will save herself.

Jaime is a no brainer. From cocky, spontanious and bratlike, to someone who is also more humbled and initially...more awake or alert.

I'll go ahead and mention Bran too. He sort of went from a very normal childlike, active, naive and moral young boy who aspired to be a knight, to someone a bit more serious, trying hard to be an adult, thinking he is in love, and doing questionable warging activities like using a human body or killing people as a wolf. ADWD Bran is quite a different Bran from GOT, for me personally.

Dany, Theon and Jon are also obviously notable. Theon defintely had the most physical change out of everyone, from handsome bouncy young person to having the body and appearance of an old man.

i think jon snow started his change when tyrion gave him the speech about his new brothers on the way to the wall before that he was living in a kind of fantasy about who he was and where he was going

But the person i think changed most is dany she started as a scared little girl that followed and relied on her brother and grew into a strong leader despite having suffered a crazy journey through the desert and the loss of her husband and child

but i think most if not all the main characters have changed alot since the begining of the series

Sansa, Theon, Jaime, Arya....

Developing characters like these are one of the main reasons why these books are so compelling.

:agree: Even Dany, whom I dislike a lot. And I'd say Cat, Beric and UnGregor have gone through some changes, dying and living again and all. In fact, all the dead have gone thru changes.

Totally. GRRM lets his characters grow, which is why you never know what's going to happen.

I miss the like button!

Archived