So, Dany being Azzor Ahai is a red herring?

total1402

Even if it was, just because he is a Targ and Rhaegars son doesn't mean he is AA anymore than Viserys. It requires you to confirm that Rhaegar was correct in his belief.

It's not so much what the prophesy says, but what R + J means to the story. The Rhaegar/Lyanna begot Robert Rebellion resulting in end of Targ Dynasty. Basically the affair started a chain reaction that continues to present day Westoros, whether it's Jon Snow at the Wall or Dany with her dragons in Essos. So I can't imagine GRRM creating R + J situation and have it so central to the series and then have the result of the affair, Jon Snow, be anything other than a hero of legendary porpotion.

I like so much this.

But they can be Dany, Jon and Tyrion also

GRRM said ADWD main characters were Dany, Jon and Tyrion. I tend to think the title 'A Dance with Dragons' is not in reference to actual dragons, but is in reference to the main characters instead. In Dunk and Egg stories more than once a character has a prophetic dreams making them believe a actual dragon will appear, however the dragon in the dream just turned out to be a Targaryen.

Although my personal favourite three heads of the Dragon theory is:

Red dragon = Daenerys Targaryen

Black dragon = Aegon Blackfyre

White dragon = Jon Snow

GRRM said ADWD main characters were Dany, Jon and Tyrion. I tend to think the title 'A Dance with Dragons' is not in reference to actual dragons, but is in reference to the main characters instead. In Dunk and Egg stories more than once a character has a prophetic dreams making them believe a actual dragon will appear, however the dragon in the dream just turned out to be a Targaryen.

White dragon = Jon Snow

Daenerys already rides the Black One so Aegon Blackfyre cant ride him. One dragon one rider. Aegon the Conqueror only rode his dragon never did he ride his sisters dragons

Daenerys already rides the Black One so Aegon Blackfyre cant ride him. One dragon one rider. Aegon the Conqueror only rode his dragon never did he ride his sisters dragons

The three heads doesn't relate to Dany's physical Dragons, anyone with dragon's blood (Targ or Blackyre) is called a Dragon. Dany is the red dragon as House Targaryen symbol is a red dragon, Aegon is the black dragon as house Blackyre symbol is a black dragon. Finally the reason why Jon would be the white dragon is that he has certain similarities to Bloodraven who personal symbol was a white dragon.

I firmly believe Dany is AAR, even if nothing comes of it. AAR and TPTWP are thought to be one and the same, right? It was prophesised TPTWP would come from Aerys and Rhaella.

From ADWD, chapter 23 (Daenerys IV):

"Why did they wed if they did not love each other?"

"Your grandsire commanded it. A woods witch had told him that the prince was promised would be born of their line."

The exact foretelling -- or at least how Barristan remembers it -- is that the PTWP would be born of the line of Aerys II and Rhaella; that does not necessarily mean that it has to be one of their children. It could refer to one of their direct descendants. For example, in Lord of the Rings, Aragorn is often described as being of the line of Isildur. All that means is that he could trace his descent directly back to Isildur, not that he was actually Isildur's son. So Jon Snow (if he is Rhaegar's and Lyanna's son) would be of the line of Aerys and Rhaella.

Again, the lack of precision in the Ghost of High Heart's prophecy doesn't rule out Dany. It just creates enough wiggle room to allow readers to reach the conclusion that the prophecy could refer to Jon, or maybe (F)Aegon, or maybe even all three working together.

White dragon = Jon Snow

I agree that Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are the closest thing we've had to protagonists since The Ned of blessed memory departed Westeros. I don't think that necessarily means that they'll all become dragon riders, but I see them at least surviving until ADOS (and yes, I firmly believe that Jon will somehow emerge alive from the assassination attempt).

And nice three heads of the dragon theory! I had never seen that particular interpretation before, or at least the connections to the different colors.

But a lot of you are considering that Aegon is really a Blackfyre, and we don't know even if he is a "dragon" (black or red)

Illyrio Mopatis 'Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon.'

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't really matter which colour dragon he is, just that he is one.

White dragon = Jon Snow

I thought the dragons were white, black, and green?

I thought the dragons were white, black, and green?

Yes they are. However the colours of the dragons on the family crests are not.

House Targaryen crest is a red dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...aryen_crest.PNG

House Blackfyre crest is a black dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...kfyre_crest.png

Bloodraven's personal crest is a white dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...:Bloodraven.png

Bloodraven and Jon snow have certain similarities. They both have Targaryen farthers and mothers who were from houses that prayed to the old gods. Bloodraven is an albino with a red eye, Ghost Jon's direwolf is an albino with red eyes.

This just a theory I have come up with for fun I don't firmly believe this, but hay we have plenty of time till TWOW so why not come up with a few crackpot ideas ;)

Just finished re-reading A Clash of Kings, and I'm pretty sure that Hot Pie is, in fact, Azor Ahai reborn amidst the salt and smoke of his mother's kitchen.

Lightbringer is delicious.

In a more serious tone, although I go crazy for prophecy fulfilment, it wouldn't surprise me if the answer to the riddle is something surprising (if that makes sense at all). Mythical Heroes stand out, to my eyes, as far too Black and White to live in the perpetual Grey area we call Westeros.

Yes they are. However the colours of the dragons on the family crests are not.

House Targaryen crest is a red dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...aryen_crest.PNG

House Blackfyre crest is a black dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...kfyre_crest.png

Bloodraven's personal crest is a white dragon:

http://awoiaf.wester...:Bloodraven.png

Bloodraven and Jon snow have certain similarities. They both have Targaryen farthers and mothers who were from houses that prayed to the old gods. Bloodraven is an albino with a red eye, Ghost Jon's direwolf is an albino with red eyes.

This just a theory I have come up with for fun I don't firmly believe this, but hay we have plenty of time till TWOW so why not come up with a few crackpot ideas ;)

& Bloodraven is tutoring Bran, who will play a role in Jon' rise, & victory.

It may be that the red herring is the prophecy of AA itself. I don't know why we should assume that all the many prophecies or beliefs of main characters are going to come together in the end. It's pretty accepted after what we've heard from and about Martin that he's not intending to wrap this thing up with a nice, big bow.

It's not so much what the prophesy says, but what R + J means to the story. The Rhaegar/Lyanna begot Robert Rebellion resulting in end of Targ Dynasty. Basically the affair started a chain reaction that continues to present day Westoros, whether it's Jon Snow at the Wall or Dany with her dragons in Essos. So I can't imagine GRRM creating R + J situation and have it so central to the series and then have the result of the affair, Jon Snow, be anything other than a hero of legendary porpotion.

I think if it followed that route then Dany would become a minor character in the series. If other characters have dragons, greater claim to the throne, indeed could well be agreed that they get the throne, get to Westeros before her and have a greater impact in rallying Westeros. I have the same inkling this will occur when Tyrion meets Dany. He'd pretty much takeover running the council and her armies since he has more experience in this and even knows more about dragons so would even dominate that part of the story. It would sort of make all the effort which went into establishing Dany redundent if two other characters come to, at the 11th hour, subsume most of her defining features and conflicts. If it was just to introduce the dragons then he might as well have just not written about her and simply had Tyrion meet this rumoured Targ with dragons in WoW. I mean, Dany won't serve a role. Jon Snow is as charismatic and a better leader than her. Prohecy being true, he has the better claim by blood and can get the North on side. Hes also Rhaegars son and so doesn't have all the stigma attached to Dany. Tyrion is a better leader, councellor, ruler and military leader; his only bad point being that hes ugly n people don't like him; but then Jon Snow more than compensates for that. If these two also have dragons and Tyrion is the only one who knows how to train dragons then they'd fill this niche much better than Dany. Again, I just don't see any real role for Dany to play here. Which is quite a shame really. You can't just take a character defining features and suddenly give other characters a greater stake in them.

Jon Snow is as charismatic and a better leader than her. Prohecy being true, he has the better claim by blood and can get the North on side. Hes also Rhaegars son and so doesn't have all the stigma attached to Dany. Tyrion is a better leader, councellor, ruler and military leader; his only bad point being that hes ugly n people don't like him; but then Jon Snow more than compensates for that. If these two also have dragons and Tyrion is the only one who knows how to train dragons then they'd fill this niche much better than Dany. Again, I just don't see any real role for Dany to play here. Which is quite a shame really. You can't just take a character defining features and suddenly give other characters a greater stake in them.

Neither the point about Dany not being charismatic or your listing of Tyrion's only flaw being ugliness are true. One of Dany's main assets as a leader is that she is charismatic. She's got personality, presence, looks and she has great capacity for both acts of kindness and acts of cruelty. She's like a force of nature.

That doesn't mean Tyrion is necessary a bad councellor, but I don't rate him that much as a leader, nor as a wielder of "justice" (as seen in ACOK his brand of "justice" points squarely to Casterly Rock and the Lannister cause). He also has enough flaws in his personality to not make his physical ugliness the one main flaw either. That may be why people in universe dislike him, but it's not what we as readers focus on when we are speaking of flaws.

Just because Dany is likely not Azor Azai does not mean that she cannot play an important role. As has already been noted, she raised dragons from stone. She is the first one to be able to birth dragons in a hundred years or more. While Jon has the potential to be special and to be super special if he is AA, Dany already *is* special. This has been established. Her dragons, her storyline, her rise from slavery to queendom, these factors all make Dany special and important. She doesn't need prophecies for that.

Neither the point about Dany not being charismatic or your listing of Tyrion's only flaw being ugliness are true. One of Dany's main assets as a leader is that she is charismatic. She's got personality, presence, looks and she has great capacity for both acts of kindness and acts of cruelty. She's like a force of nature.

That doesn't mean Tyrion is necessary a bad councellor, but I don't rate him that much as a leader, nor as a wielder of "justice" (as seen in ACOK his brand of "justice" points squarely to Casterly Rock and the Lannister cause). He also has enough flaws in his personality to not make his physical ugliness the one main flaw either. That may be why people in universe dislike him, but it's not what we as readers focus on when we are speaking of flaws.

Just because Dany is likely not Azor Azai does not mean that she cannot play an important role. As has already been noted, she raised dragons from stone. She is the first one to be able to birth dragons in a hundred years or more. While Jon has the potential to be special and to be super special if he is AA, Dany already *is* special. This has been established. Her dragons, her storyline, her rise from slavery to queendom, these factors all make Dany special and important. She doesn't need prophecies for that.

I didn't say Dany wasn't charismatic, I said that Jon was a lot better at it. He has shown himself to be much better at inspiring people (even former enemies he betrayed) to follow him and trust in his abilities; which are prodigious.

She raised the dragons from stone. But Tyrion knows how to train them and he plus Jon will also ride dragons. The fact that she brought them into the world is largely a footnote when the main issue becomes how Jon got his dragon. If he is ice and fire, AA and the legit King; then he is more important to the plot.

You're underestimating Tyrion. He led the defence of Kings Landing and even inspired soldiers to follow him in a sally outside of the gates. All these suggest that he is an incredible leader who just never got the credit or status he deserved because he was a dwarf and people maligned him for that.

What Dany does in Essos isn't relevent. Little more than backstory. There are far more soldiers in Westeros and its here that the main issue will be decided. Jon can rally the North and everyone who hates the Targs; far more of the realm n soldiers than Dany. Having a laborious plot to bring a few thousand exotic soldiers to the fight won't be adding much.

Her story was interesting, but I can't see her having a place in the main plot as part of this trio. The other two have none of her weaknesses and far greater strengths; she has no real role to play in such a grouping. Jon is also the legit King and I could honestly imagine most of her POVs in ADOS being based around her romancing Jon Snow to make that believable. People and factions won't rally around Dany like they will Jon Snow. Her abilities won't be as much of a driving force as Tyrions. She can't train the dragons like Tyrion can. Aside from being the chick in the triumvarate she has little distinct about her and would be very much overshadowed.

Archived