If you lived in Westoros, what religion would you find most convincing? (If any)

Dannis Baratheon

I'm agnostic in real life so I wouldn't believe in any of those religions. I was raised in a Christian family so I'd probably understand R'hllor the most... I don't like it however. Most of the priests are freaking nuts. Burning non-believers and babies? WTF.

Only Thoros of Myr seems to have his shit together.

I would say R'hllor as well becasue as you mentioned the priests can actually prove the power. Old gods not so much, they really don't show any direct impact on anyone (at least up til this point in the books). However if I were to go with the status quo then obviouslly the Seven. The drowned god can drown itself some more for all I care IMO.

edit- R'hllor basically scares yous into belief.

I think that (me being a non practicing Catholic, yet still liking the doctrine of the religion) I would probably like the Faith of the Seven the most. This is the closest thing to Catholicism in the books I feel, because (as not many even in the books know) The Seven are actually the different faces of one God. So even though people look at the Seven as separate, the Septon that travels with Brienne in AFFC has a conversation with her stating that they are actually monotheistic, though many of the small folk don't under stand that the Seven they worship are just seven different aspects of the SAME God, which is very much like the Holy Trinity.

Edit: though I have to say that I enjoy the Old Gods a well.....it's very much more of Native America/ Druid influence, giving the power over to nature. My own personal belief is that true religion is a mixture of the Christian/Native american belief, as God is in all of nature.

I think that (me being a non practicing Catholic, yet still liking the doctrine of the religion) I would probably like the Faith of the Seven the most. This is the closest thing to Catholicism in the books I feel, because (as not many even in the books know) The Seven are actually the different faces of one God. So even though people look at the Seven as separate, the Septon that travels with Brienne in AFFC has a conversation with her stating that they are actually monotheistic, though many of the small folk don't under stand that the Seven they worship are just seven different aspects of the SAME God, which is very much like the Holy Trinity.

I thought R'hllor was more comparable to the Christian God (Catholic or Protestant). R'hllor is a jealous god (does that remind you of anything? lol), and people are burned to purge wickedness much like how folks were burned at the stake in real life.

I thought R'hllor was more comparable to the Christian God (Catholic or Protestant). R'hllor is a jealous god (does that remind you of anything? lol), and people are burned to purge wickedness much like how folks were burned at the stake in real life.

this - IMO much more like the personality of the Christian God. The only thing The Faith of Seven is the parallels to the Trinity

it's definitely more like Christianity, as they themselves don't believe in saints or really go into the holy trinity. BUt The Faith of the Seven is way more like Cathlocism, from the robes, to the mass, to the seven aspects being one.

R'hllor definitely has a Christian feel to it, but I feel it's very much more Protestant and such, the people who used to burn people for being "witches". If not maybe mixed with a little Muslim influences as they believe there is one god v another, and that's it

While I consider myself agnostic leaning strongly towards atheism, I'm open to possibilities. I think that no matter where I lived, though, I'd end up with the same worldview; life sucks, we all die, but since it's like that, why not be nice to people? Even if God exists, I can be nice without his divine direction. Free will ftw!

That being said, the Mel and her murder posse would probably burn me as a heretic within three minutes of meeting me. :blushing:

I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheism but I like the Old Gods they are the only ones we know to "exist" (dead greenseers in the weirnet). I like the simple, non-structured worship of sitting in front of a tree.

True that; it's probably really calming. Ned got to sharpen his sword while he prayed, even - they'd probably be chill with me bringing a picnic basket.

The Old Gods seem like chill bros.

Archived