If you lived in Westoros, what religion would you find most convincing? (If any)

Dannis Baratheon

R'hllor definitely has a Christian feel to it, but I feel it's very much more Protestant and such, the people who used to burn people for being "witches". If not maybe mixed with a little Muslim influences as they believe there is one god v another, and that's it

Muslims don't believe in one god vs another.

R'hllor is obviously inspired by Zoroastrianism, where they believe that:

1. There are two gods, a good god and an evil god. They worship the good god except some cults that worship the evil one so that he doesn't harm them.

2. Fire is holy and heavily used in rituals.

The Seven are inspired from Catholicism. The Old Gods are inspired from the celtic druidic religion.

Muslims don't believe in one god vs another.

R'hllor is obviously inspired by Zoroastrianism, where they believe that:

1. There are two gods, a good god and an evil god. They worship the good god except some cults that worship the evil one so that he doesn't harm them.

2. Fire is holy and heavily used in rituals.

The Seven are inspired from Catholicism. The Old Gods are inspired from the celtic druidic religion.

I thought Zoroastrianism was the origination/influence for a lot of Muslim religions, especially since it was deeply believed within the same regions as Muslim religion came from. I knew personally that it came from Z-ism, but didn't want to confuse people since it's a now dead religion.

I thought Zoroastrianism was the origination/influence for a lot of Muslim religions, especially since it was deeply believed within the same regions as Muslim religion came from. I knew personally that it came from Z-ism, but didn't want to confuse people since it's a now dead religion.

Islam is Abrahamic. It originated from west Arabia, where people were mostly pagan or Jewish along with some Christians. It definitely did not originate from Zoroastrianism, which came out of Persia. It's much closer to Judaism than Zoroastrianism. All religions influenced each other to some degree, so you can say it influenced it, though lightly.

Regarding R'hllor, are fire priests other than Mel that crazy or are they mostly like Thoros?

It's not a dead religion, it still has a fair few followers.

I would follow "The God Whose Name Should Not Be Spoken", because he seems like a badass, f*ck R'hllor! Haha.

Although realistically the Old Gods are most appealing to me, they're simple, natural, chill, not pushy strict bigots. They seem very soulful.

Hmm... interesting, some think these two are the same. I myself am not sure.

If you follow many of the other threads you will find comparisons to other myth's, religions, etc. that GRRM uses in the construct of this story. With that in mind I've tried to parse in my mind the two primary religions of the series (R'holler's and the Seven Gods) and tried to draw comparisons to todays religions. I sort of gave up on that....giving way to the idea that this is afterall, a fantasy story. GRRM may very well draw parallels with today's religion; but I haven't given it due course.

Regardless, I'm hanging my hat on the Seven. Not sure that the R'holler's appeal to me especially with the "shadows". It sort of reminds me of the references by Merlin in Excalibur where (IIRC) "the one god comes to drive out the many". In this example; the one god (R'holler) and the many (the seven).

My brother and I have discussed this before. We decided that the Seven were kind of useless in comparison to the Old Gods and R'hollor (one of the last things he said to me on the visit this was discussed actually were "The Seven suck balls". So I probably wouldn't go for that :P. I do, however, cringe whenever I think of the part in which Melisandre burns the effigies of the Seven :/

I'd probably go with the Old Gods. Or would that restrict me to being in the north? R'hllor is powerful but creeps me out. Decisions... :dunno:

Hmm... not the Seven; they don't really seem to do anything. The Old Gods appear to exist, which is pretty convincing. R'hllor seems to have some power, as does the Drowned God (I'm genuinely interested in all that is going on inside Patchface's head for this reason), but I think I'll go with the Old Gods.

On a spiritual level I think the Old Gods would offer me a lot of solace when I felt sad or confused. R'hllor wouldn't appeal to me in terms of finding peace, it would scare me more than anything. I don't follow any religion at the moment myself, and find the idea of an all knowing, moral designer to be unconvincing but I would like to feel some sort of connection with my surroundings like with the Old Gods.

well im atheist but if i saw thoros bring back beric i would be convinced. May the night be dark and full of terrors :cool4:

I'm an atheist too, but the priestsare using unrelated magic IMO and passing it off as god's blessings so I'd stay atheist were I you. :cool4:

But if I did have to choose a religion it would probably be Ironborn, I nearly drowned as a kid so why not one more tme. And it would be cool to mutter"what is dead may never die".

Archived