Lands of Ice and Fire wiki update request

azurespecter

I'm wondering if someone who has ordered the Lands of Ice and Fire maps can spend a little time updating geographic location information on the wiki.

I'm hoping that a few new castles in Westeros have been positioned on the maps, but even more so that enigma locations such as Qarth and Asshai will be explained on the wiki.

I understand that the maps are copyrighted, however it is not illegal to post small sections of the maps that are relevant to the discussion on the page.

For those of us who didn't order the maps, but would still like the information pertaining to the series, this would be very helpful.

While I understand the interest, I do think it would only be fair to wait a few months before using excerpts that are not already available (via the various previews that we, MTV, io9, and GRRM have posted) for the wiki. If everything new and of interest was posted in excerpt form, it would basically remove part of the reason for why people are interested in getting the maps.

But those excerpts that already exist, I can see those being used on the wiki as a fair use.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if someone who has ordered the Lands of Ice and Fire maps can spend a little time updating geographic location information on the wiki.

I'm hoping that a few new castles in Westeros have been positioned on the maps, but even more so that enigma locations such as Qarth and Asshai will be explained on the wiki.

Descriptions are achievable, and I've already updated the Summer Islands page with such a description to show how it could work. This is particularly interesting where the map reveals new information that contradicts previous assumptions: for example, Tall Trees Town was assumed by fans to be the capital city of the Summer Islands as characters in the book mentioned it quite frequently. However, the maps show that there are two cities in the Summer Islands: Port Lotus and Ebonhead. Port Lotus is the capital (it's written in capital letters) and Tall Trees Town is shown to be a town. Tall Trees was simply mentioned a lot because the Cinnamon Wind and its crew (who contribute the majority of our knowledge of the Summer Islands in the books) comes from there.

As Ran said, posting excerpts from the maps is out due to copyright. What is a bit greyer is someone updating the already-existing fan maps with the info from these new maps and then posting them. So far the maps we've been using are okay because the maps are not the central focus of the books, and posting fan-recreations of the Free Cities or Slaver's Bay maps from the books won't hurt sales of the novels (and indeed Bantam have the maps from the books available to download for free from their website). However, recreating these maps would hurt the potential sales of the Lands of Ice and Fire set for people who are buying them purely for the info, not aesthetic purposes. On that basis I will assume that using them to update the existing maps is also out of the question, at least for the near future.

With permission, I'd love to go about re-structuring the geographical pages based on the new info from tLoIaF, especially the far East which is only scantily covered in the novels.

EDIT: looking at your update of the Summer Islands page, Werthead, it seems to be a long list of names which is rather inaccessible to readers who do not own the appropriate map. If it's ok I'm going to tidy up the article a bit and remove the broken links.

Archived