Will Jaime and Tyrion be dead by the end of the books?

OberynBlackfyre

So we know that truly no main character, or quirky favorite characters are safe within the series. We have seen people accomplish great tasks just to die right after. Other characters stabbed, or hanged, or maimed.

Well, with Tyrion and Jaime they so far have only been maimed, but will their story arc lead them to survival by the time everything is said and done??

I truly think that though GRRM has professed love for Tyrion being his favorite character, I do not think Tyrion's story arc will end with him being alive sadly. He plays the game well, yet I do feel that some of his deeds will catch up with him. Also, who knows what will actually happen when he reaches Westeros as a known kinslayer, and supposed kingslayer.

Jaime on the other hand, or lack their of (har!), I think is kind of doomed to live and see the fall of his house and siblings. I feel that out of the three of them he is NOW the most honorable. The way he sewed up the Riverlands without bloodshed was done in an incredibly peaceful and fair manner. Plus his whole scene with the White Book I feel foreshadowed that he was nowhere done living out his life. Like he narrated, it was still about 3/4 empty.

The only way I see him dying is possibly sometime during the last book, but only after he gets a little closer with Loras and councils him in the harms of ego and vanity. Kind of filling Arthur Dayne's role, then dying as an honored and respected Lord Commander.

The only way I see him dying is possibly sometime during the last book, but only after he gets a little closer with Loras and councils him in the harms of ego and vanity. Kind of filling Arthur Dayne's role, then dying as an honored and respected Lord Commander.

Except Ser Loras has been turned to bacon on Dragonstone.

So we know that truly no main character, or quirky favorite characters are safe within the series. We have seen people accomplish great tasks just to die right after. Other characters stabbed, or hanged, or maimed.

Well, with Tyrion and Jaime they so far have only been maimed, but will their story arc lead them to survival by the time everything is said and done??

I truly think that though GRRM has professed love for Tyrion being his favorite character, I do not think Tyrion's story arc will end with him being alive sadly. He plays the game well, yet I do feel that some of his deeds will catch up with him. Also, who knows what will actually happen when he reaches Westeros as a known kinslayer, and supposed kingslayer.

Jaime on the other hand, or lack their of (har!), I think is kind of doomed to live and see the fall of his house and siblings. I feel that out of the three of them he is NOW the most honorable. The way he sewed up the Riverlands without bloodshed was done in an incredibly peaceful and fair manner. Plus his whole scene with the White Book I feel foreshadowed that he was nowhere done living out his life. Like he narrated, it was still about 3/4 empty.

I agree about the White Book. His story has so much yet to it - he must become a father, a Lord Commander, an oathkeeper, a champion against the injustice of Stoneheart... Just so damn much. It would be very sad for him to see the fall of the Lannisters. My only hope is that he has at least one of his children to pass on a legacy to, one that is founded on more than just pride and greed.

As for Tyrion, I think he'll last till the Great Battle, then die a hero. GRRM doesn't do the predictable, but he has a soft spot for Tyrion, and I don't see him letting him go any other way.

we do not know this for sure, and many people believe it's not real. Plus, even if he has, he can always recover....

Considering how the Tyrells operate, I wouldn't be surprised if some poor boy was made to wear Loras' armour and have tar poured over him, so that Loras can wander off doing something on his father's request.

Tyrion does not play the game well at all. All he managed to do during his reign as hand was antagonise the regent and the one trustworthy council member who was on House Lannister's side. Oh and build a chain-but that isn't really playing the game is it?

Anywho, all of Tywin's children shall die-a la sins of the father and such. Already his hired goat has maimed his golden son and his daughter has suffered the same humiliation he meted out to his father's mistress and wore, it was sanctioned by his own brother who looked to Tywin as an example.

I agree about the White Book. His story has so much yet to it - he must become a father, a Lord Commander, an oathkeeper, a champion against the injustice of Stoneheart... Just so damn much. It would be very sad for him to see the fall of the Lannisters. My only hope is that he has at least one of his children to pass on a legacy to, one that is founded on more than just pride and greed.

As for Tyrion, I think he'll last till the Great Battle, then die a hero. GRRM doesn't do the predictable, but he has a soft spot for Tyrion, and I don't see him letting him go any other way.

I pretty much agree with you on all fronts there. I think that there is a couple of huge roles for him to fulfill. For some reason, and I know it's crackpot, I feel that Myrcella will be what's left and that for some reason Jaime and Arianne will kind of have some love affair. She has a thing for knights, and he has a thing (possibly) for women with dark hair and large dark nipples (haha this coming from the Bracken camp story when he was treating with Raventree). I don't think they will ever get married, but he resolves in the very same scene I was talking about to try and guide Myrcella to do the right thing when the woman asks what he wants and he responds with "purity". I can definitely see him becoming a paramour to Arianne whilst both of them watching over Myrcella who (if everyone else dies) will be lady of the Rock.

That's my crackpot theory though. I do think that both children will not maybe die per say but completely disregard Cersei as their mother, which to her would be like their deaths.

yes sadly, Tyrion will die, but he will most definitely have his day before he goes :)

Tyrion does not play the game well at all. All he managed to do during his reign as hand was antagonise the regent and the one trustworthy council member who was on House Lannister's side. Oh and build a chain-but that isn't really playing the game is it?

Anywho, all of Tywin's children shall die-a la sins of the father and such. Already his hired goat has maimed his golden son and his daughter has suffered the same humiliation he meted out to his father's mistress and wore, it was sanctioned by his own brother who looked to Tywin as an example.

uhhhh that "chain" saved the whole city, as well as the wildfire. He was also able to give and at least try to empower relationships with Dorne with the Myrcella Trystane marriage. Playing the game doesn't always mean when he was hand. He killed the most dangerous man in the Seven Kingdoms, provided to break his sisters sanity, shored up friends and power within the mountain clans and with Bronn, who is now gathering sell swords to himself, and knighting them....and not to mention, convinced a Dragon to go and make war in westeros, which the Dragon DID..........I think he has done more than most.

Yes, and good riddance. The one a monster turning worse, the other a monster with regrets, but not offering fair solutions or accepting his personal responsibility.

I think you're quote about Tyrion is true

however Jaime IS taking responsibility. Within his actions and his thoughts I think he is finally starting to realize what he did for Cersei all this time was folly.

I think you're quote about Tyrion is true

however Jaime IS taking responsibility. Within his actions and his thoughts I think he is finally starting to realize what he did for Cersei all this time was folly.

True, but he is blaming it all on Cersei instead of accepting his share of the blame. And how he treats the Riverlands (and the North) isn't fair or long-term secure at all

I pretty much agree with you on all fronts there. I think that there is a couple of huge roles for him to fulfill. For some reason, and I know it's crackpot, I feel that Myrcella will be what's left and that for some reason Jaime and Arianne will kind of have some love affair. She has a thing for knights, and he has a thing (possibly) for women with dark hair and large dark nipples (haha this coming from the Bracken camp story when he was treating with Raventree). I don't think they will ever get married, but he resolves in the very same scene I was talking about to try and guide Myrcella to do the right thing when the woman asks what he wants and he responds with "purity". I can definitely see him becoming a paramour to Arianne whilst both of them watching over Myrcella who (if everyone else dies) will be lady of the Rock.

That's my crackpot theory though. I do think that both children will not maybe die per say but completely disregard Cersei as their mother, which to her would be like their deaths.

yes sadly, Tyrion will die, but he will most definitely have his day before he goes :)

I agree that the prophecy cannot be taken exactly as read.

Your Arianne theory is interesting. They would make a suitable pairing, but then I doubt he would like her at first for the way she seduced Aerys Oakheart away from his duty and therefore leading Mycrella to being mortally scarred.

I would love for Mycrella to survive. Of the three children, she seems the most able, most amiable and most likely to become a decent but intelligent Lannister. Under Jaime's guidance, she could really become somebody. Arianne could teach her a lot, too.

As has been mentioned, it's quite a difference for GRRM to kill our favourite characters and for him to kill his favourite character. Given his now relatively small martial importance, I can't see Tyrion dying at the end unless in some form of mass attack, I can see him being one of the only characters left - as a rememberer of the story or narrator for future generations, if you will.

As for Jaime, I believe he will reform the Kingsguard as shown by his scene with the white book and his decision that the KG must be his life over all else. He, however, could die at the climax of the books, although I hope not.

While watching the Tudor & thinking about how Henry VIII had 3 children: Edward, Elizabeth, and Mary, and all 3 were at one time the Ruler over England, I did wonder whether we may see Myrcella as Queen after all. Not an exact parallel, but there was just something about it... And she is the one we've seen Jaime interact with least thus far, so there is potential to explore something new there.

This. Where is my like button and why am I still looking for it....

Archived