Fights that would have been LEGEN.....(wait for it).....DARY

Spotted Cat

The Mountain vs Khal Drogo = The Mountain, I don't think Khal is going to wear armor and since a lot of the Khals don't use armor I won't speculate on that.

As a hypothetical

if drogo cant wear armour, consider gregor without armour, both mounted and gregor has the greatsword??

Jaime Lannister vs Robert Baratheon = Jaime Lannister, he has reservations taking on brutes like Sandor and Gregor Clegane but those are sword wielders. I give it to him since in AFFC a soldier asks Jaime advice on how to fight warhammer wielding fighters.

war-hammer is a late weapon invented specifically to fight knights in heavy plate Armour because at the end of the Renascence , plate was as hard as the blade and could not pierce the Armour. but the hammer , if wielded with enough force can kill you inside the Armour without shattering it. so i think the hammer is more dangerous than the sword.

As a hypothetical

if drogo cant wear armour, consider gregor without armour, both mounted and gregor has the greatsword??

war-hammer is a late weapon invented specifically to fight knights in heavy plate Armour because at the end of the Renascence , plate was as hard as the blade and could not pierce the Armour. but the hammer , if wielded with enough force can kill you inside the Armour without shattering it. so i think the hammer is more dangerous than the sword.

I know you weren't arguing otherwise, just wanted to add: The more dangerous to a knight in plate, absolutely. But very limited in open combat. A sword remained the most versatile melee weapon.

Just as a forinstance, Varis Egen wouldn't have fought Bron that way if he weren't being forced to chase him by the screaming Arryns. It's not like knights never face more lightly armored foes; in fact that's mostly who they face. It's not meant to be an equalizer, it's meant to be an advantage. As Jorah and Barristan show, there is a way you fight foes who are less armored than yourself; you either wait them out and force them to come to you, nullifying their advantage, or you corner them off like a heavy puncher in the boxing ring. You don't chase them around rhe Eyrie, and the repeated cries for Egen to do just that would suggest he wasn't until forced.

He wasn't being forced to chase him by the screaming Arryns...By the time Lysa yelled for Egen to finish off Bronn, Egen was already bleeding from several wounds and according to Catlyn everyone in the audience except for Lysa knew the fight was lost. Bronn severely outclassed Egen.

He wasn't being forced to chase him by the screaming Arryns...By the time Lysa yelled for Egen to finish off Bronn, Egen was already bleeding from several wounds and according to Catlyn everyone in the audience except for Lysa knew the fight was lost. Bronn severely outclassed Egen.

I'll have to re-read. I certainly remember them urging him on ad nauseaum, but maybe that was only the show? Which would be odd, in that the show jacks Bronn up in every other instance.

I'll have to re-read. I certainly remember them urging him on ad nauseaum, but maybe that was only the show? Which would be odd, in that the show jacks Bronn up in every other instance.

"They await your command," Lady Lysa said to her lord son.

"Fight!" the boy screamed, his arms trembling as they clutched at his chair.

Ser Vardis swiveled, bringing up his heavy shield. Bronn turned to face him. Their swords rang together, once, twice, a testing. The sellsword backed off a step. The knight came after, holding his shield before him. He tried a slash, but Bronn jerked back, just out of reach, and the silver blade cut only air. Bronn circled to his right. Ser Vardis turned to follow, keeping his shield between them. The knight pressed forward, placing each foot carefully on the uneven ground. The sellsword gave way, a faint smile playing over his lips. Ser Vardis attacked, slashing, but Bronn leapt away from him, hopping lightly over a low, moss-covered stone. Now the sellsword circled left, away from the shield, toward the knight's unprotected side. Ser Vardis tried a hack at his legs, but he did not have the reach. Bronn danced farther to his left. Ser Vardis turned in place.

"The man is craven," Lord Hunter declared. "Stand and fight, coward! " Other voices echoed the sentiment.

Catelyn looked to Ser Rodrik. Her master-at-arms gave a curt shake of his head. "He wants to make Ser Vardis chase him. The weight of armor and shield will tire even the strongest man."

[Cat reminisces about Brandon fighting Petyr]

The ringing clash of steel on steel jarred Catelyn back to the present. Ser Vardis was coming hard at Bronn, driving into him with shield and sword. The sellsword scrambled backward, checking each blow, stepping lithely over rock and root, his eyes never leaving his foe. He was quicker, Catelyn saw; the knight's silvered sword never came near to touching him, but his own ugly grey blade hacked a notch from Ser Vardis's shoulder plate.

The brief flurry of fighting ended as swiftly as it had begun when Bronn sidestepped and slid behind the statue of the weeping woman. Ser Vardis lunged at where he had been, striking a spark off the pale marble of Alyssa's thigh.

"They're not fighting good, Mother," the Lord of the Eyrie complained. "I want them to fight."

"They will, sweet baby," his mother soothed him. "The sellsword can't run all day."

Some of the lords on Lysa's terrace were making wry jests as they refilled their wine cups, but across the garden, Tyrion Lannister's mismatched eyes watched the champions dance as if there were nothing else in the world.

Bronn came out from behind the statue hard and fast, still moving left, aiming a two-handed cut at the knight's unshielded right side. Ser Vardis blocked, but clumsily, and the sellsword's blade flashed upward at his head. Metal rang, and a falcon's wing collapsed with a crunch. Ser Vardis took a half step back to brace himself, raised his shield. Oak chips flew as Bronn's sword hacked at the wooden wall. The sellsword stepped left again, away from the shield, and caught Ser Vardis across the stomach, the razor edge of his blade leaving a bright gash when it bit into the knight's plate.

Ser Vardis drove forward off his back foot, his own silver blade descending in a savage arc. Bronn slammed it aside and danced away. The knight crashed into the weeping woman, rocking her on her plinth. Staggered, he stepped backward, his head turning this way and that as he searched for his foe. The slit visor of his helm narrowed his vision.

"Behind you, ser!" Lord Hunter shouted, too late. Bronn brought his sword down with both hands, catching Ser Vardis in the elbow of his sword arm. The thin lobstered metal that protected the joint crunched. The knight grunted, turning, wrenching his weapon up. This time Bronn stood his ground. The swords flew at each other, and their steel song filled the garden and rang off the white towers of the Eyrie.

"Ser Vardis is hurt," Ser Rodrik said, his voice grave.

Catelyn did not need to be told; she had eyes, she could see the bright finger of blood running along the knight's forearm, the wetness inside the elbow joint. Every parry was a little slower and a little lower than the one before. Ser Vardis turned his side to his foe, trying to use his shield to block instead, but Bronn slid around him, quick as a cat. The sellsword seemed to be getting stronger. His cuts were leaving their marks now. Deep shiny gashes gleamed all over the knight's armor, on his right thigh, his beaked visor, crossing on his breastplate, a long one along the front of his gorget. The moon-and-falcon rondel over Ser Vardis's right arm was sheared clean in half, hanging by its strap. They could hear his labored breath, rattling through the air holes in his visor.

Blind with arrogance as they were, even the knights and lords of the Vale could see what was happening below them, yet her sister could not. "Enough, Ser Vardis!" Lady Lysa called down. "Finish him now, my baby is growing tired."

And it must be said of Ser Vardis Egen that he was true to his lady's command, even to the last. One moment he was reeling backward, half-crouched behind his scarred shield; the next he charged. The sudden bull rush caught Bronn off balance. Ser Vardis crashed into him and slammed the lip of his shield into the sellsword's face. Almost, almost, Bronn lost his feet . . . he staggered back, tripped over a rock, and caught hold of the weeping woman to keep his balance. Throwing aside his shield, Ser Vardis lurched after him, using both hands to raise his sword. His right arm was blood from elbow to fingers now, yet his last desperate blow would have opened Bronn from neck to navel . . . if the sellsword had stood to receive it.

But Bronn jerked back. Jon Arryn's beautiful engraved silver sword glanced off the marble elbow of the weeping woman and snapped clean a third of the way up the blade. Bronn put his shoulder into the statue's back. The weathered likeness of Alyssa Arryn tottered and fell with a great crash, and Ser Vardis Egen went down beneath her.

Bronn was on him in a heartbeat, kicking what was left of his shattered rondel aside to expose the weak spot between arm and breastplate. Ser Vardis was lying on his side, pinned beneath the broken torso of the weeping woman. Catelyn heard the knight groan as the sellsword lifted his blade with both hands and drove it down and in with all his weight behind it, under the arm and through the ribs. Ser Vardis Egen shuddered and lay still.

You're right though, the show actually makes the scene seem quite a bit different.

Ser Duncan The Tall vs The Mountain - would be epic, Dunk was a beast when he wasnt jousting on a horse. And Dunk was over 7 feet too.

The Red Viper vs Mance Rayder - would also be sick.

Dunk would be destroyed. The Mountain is bigger and stronger which would neutralize Dunk's only real advantages that he's ever had when sword fighting. Dunk was a terrible jouster and The Mountain is said to be very good, I don't think this is a good match up at all. Every joust we've seen Dunk in, he's completely outmatched. When he sword fights it is all about strength for him and usually ends of just throwing his opponent to the ground, he wuldn't be able to do that to Gregor.

I do agree that the Red Viper vs. Mance would be an awesome fight. What do you think about Mance's casting? I think he's too old. Should have been James Purefoy

Archived