Does anybody else hate Bran's chapters?

Pinkie Baelish

I skipped them.

You really skipped them? That cannot help you later on in the story. :( I think Bran is boring and I dont completely understand the children he is with but I feel like its necessary. Especially in the upcoming Winds of Winter. Granted I havent read DWD yet. Hope his story picks up a little. Maybe I should just do a re-read!

I also find Bran's chapters quite dragging and long, though i enjoyed Meera's story (I think?) about the knight who visited the green people and fought in the tourney of Harrenhall. That story really gave us the first hint of the Raegar/Lyanna story. Loved the two chapters about the near-meeting with Jon and the meeting with Sam...but the rest is pretty recurring.

• 2 weeks later...

in ACOK, i was a little bored reading Bran's chapters. but that never stopped me from reading them. i know how it feels when there's so much more going on with his siblings and nothing really remarkable happening with him. but his chapters are more esoteric and cerebral. i think that's because he is a cripple and the only way a boy like him can experience an adventure is by opening his mind. you know what i mean. i have only read till half of ASOS as yet but i think Bran will emerge as a mentally powerful character who can do much more with his mind than anyone else in the realm. just like Melisandre possesses some sort of esoteric power, Bran also does the same.

Everyone is different, and there are takers and haters for every POV out there. Personally I always liked all the backstory about the north and those chapters are actually crucial with all the legends etc*... But I am more of a wildling at heart and find no fun in Littlefinger's arcane politics, say.

*you'll need them if you want to re-read the book and/or discuss theories here afterwards.

There is stuff in the later books that is boring me witless alright, but I find that a number of people love the same chapters. I don't thnk there is a single character that is overwhelmingly considered dull by everybody.

• 3 weeks later...

This is basically what happens in every Bran chapter:

Jojen: I think we should move from X to Y tomorrow

Bran: Why's that?

Jojen: Because.

Hodor: Hodor.

Meera: (launches into a boring story that dominates the rest of the chapter)

Hodor: Hodorhodorhodorhodorhodorhodorhodor.

Rofl.

:drunk:

It's sad because it's true, lol. I don't mind his chapters though.

Most of the POV chapters are boring 'cause they don't have the witty lines that Jaime and tyrion have(and probably Cersei too, her bits about her and Robert and her personality which made me hate her is actually funny).. but you should also focus on what's happening around them and I'm sure that with thorough reading, you'll get hints of foreshadowing and Jon Snow is whinier on the first books..

Hi there,

interesting thread. I am reading the books for the second time, just now 500 pages into storm of swords.

When I read it the first time (up to Book 4, 5 wasn ' t out yet) I really hated Bran, even to the point of skipping the chapters (same as Daenerys, by the way).

Now i am determined to read everything and i still find Bran the least interesting personage, esp. the frogeaters get on my nerves and all this stuff about possessing animals.

But as Bran seems to be an heir to Winterfell all this should lead somewhere in the end.

It was better when Bran was still at winterfell, at least something happened then.

And i found it very strange to hear he was alive, after it seemed clear that Theon had killed him. Catelyn thought he was dead (still does) and Theon' s sister claimed she had seen his head. and then suddenly like a magician ' s trick he was still in hiding. I think I felt a little cheated by the author.

River Song, thanks for the hint that the story "about the knight who visited the green people and fought in the tourney of Harrenhall. That story really gave us the first hint of the Raegar/Lyanna story"

I ' ll go back to it now for a reread, just skipped it when it went on and on and on....

I like Bran and enjoyed him when he was in Winterfell. It was those chapters that gave me the inkling that Robb would eventually die b/c I felt that Bran was being groomed to become the heir. I'm not overly fond of all the warging into a wolf stuff, but I enjoy the backstory that the Reeds are providing. I think if I could fit in how Bran's story will relate to the rest of the story, I would feel more invested. But I like Bran and have a lot of sympathy for both him and Rickon and the awful situation that both have been into by becoming orphaned so young.

And the chapter when Bran and his entourage arrived at the wall and stayed for the night in one of the creepier of the forsaken forts, and they met with Samwell there. Didin ' t rhis make for an exciting story for once? (Think I skipped it last time along with the rest) ;-)

My heart always sinks slightly when I notice it's a Bran chapter. I also feel as if his personality isn't as well defined as other characters - like the fact that he's lost the use of his legs kind of overshadows any actual personality traits. Perhaps I'm missing something.

They are essential to the main plot later on, but I imagine if the reader is more engrossed in the political affairs aspect of the story, they might find Bran's side quest travelling in the wild, meeting up with the supernatural and such, a bit boring. But you do get neat moments, as when he met Sam, and Meera's story of hedge knight.

I guess if you're not fond of reading about traveling in the wild this could bore you (but then, the same person should hate Jaime's, Jon's and Arya's stories as well) . :drunk:

Eventhough I change my mind from times to times (I hated Dany's chapters as first which is totally not the case anymore) I do agree that Bran's chapters are by far the once I don't like reading. But to tell the truth I don't like Catelyn and Samwell either. Catelyn is like boring duty and politics while Sam can't shut up telling himself how fat and useless he is.

My heart always sinks slightly when I notice it's a Bran chapter. I also feel as if his personality isn't as well defined as other characters - like the fact that he's lost the use of his legs kind of overshadows any actual personality traits. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I felt the exact same thing, reading through Bran's chapters.

He seemed a bit shy, considering he is a young boy. The loss of his legs, has perhaps made him some restrained.

Again he is young, and I think we will see Bran as some more mature later in the series.

Perhaps in ADWD (I am reading AFFC now), or in the upcomng books :wideeyed:

I'm not sure how can consider Bran's chapters boring while Brienne has chapters.

Brienne has some of the most soul distressingly dull chapters in the free world. Bran's chapters are amazing by comparison.

And his chapters in ADWD are actually really really interesting.

Well, yes. BUT, you have a picture of Cersei, so your meaning is invalid.

Archived