Does anybody else hate Bran's chapters?

Pinkie Baelish

They are essential to the main plot later on, but I imagine if the reader is more engrossed in the political affairs aspect of the story, they might find Bran's side quest travelling in the wild, meeting up with the supernatural and such, a bit boring. But you do get neat moments, as when he met Sam, and Meera's story of hedge knight.

I guess if you're not fond of reading about traveling in the wild this could bore you (but then, the same person should hate Jaime's, Jon's and Arya's stories as well) . :drunk:

I think I would be more comfortable with all the magic (it is supposed to be fantasy, after all), if it had been there all a long. I got used to the LACK of magic in book one, now it is like the world is turning upside down. There is magic everywhere now. Westeros is lousy with it. I seem to be enjoying each new book less and less.

It is not just the magic, though. It is also all the new damned characters being added.

I'm not sure how can consider Bran's chapters boring while Brienne has chapters.

Brienne has some of the most soul distressingly dull chapters in the free world. Bran's chapters are amazing by comparison.

In my opinion what fits Brienne's thinking better is that she just feels and reacts in less complex and therefor more focused way which makes her seem a boring character which she actually isn't (I for my part like her). The most annoying and soul distressingly chapters belong to Samwell. He's behind the Wall at first which saves him a little but aside from that you would love to bully and hit him yourself in that fat face of his (no offense against bigger people but Sam is a prove of how not to act/react/encourage yourself).

Awesome stuff if you consider that all of those vastly diffrent characters are "acted" by one author ... just stuns me every time about R.R. Martin.

I have the benefit of hindsight but I was the same in my first reading. Bran's chapters were extremely boring to me and I skipped through them barely absorbing any of it.

In fact, I am ashamed to say - my reading was so brief I couldn't even remember who Jojen and Meera were when i first came to these boards. I completely missed the significance of the journey to the three eyed crow and Bran's warging.

Now on my second read - I can appreciate more of the details. Still missing lots of the intricacies I am sure (but maybe I will get them on my third reading)

I think I would be more comfortable with all the magic (it is supposed to be fantasy, after all), if it had been there all a long. I got used to the LACK of magic in book one, now it is like the world is turning upside down. There is magic everywhere now. Westeros is lousy with it. I seem to be enjoying each new book less and less.

It is not just the magic, though. It is also all the new damned characters being added.

I dunno. I like the magical aspect of the series much more than the political stuff. A nice mix is never wrong. :P

I have to accept that on my first read I did find Bran's chapters a bit boring. But after reading the full series, the second time around, after seeing their relevance in the larger scheme of things I appreciated them more. In fact now I'm looking forward to reading more about Bran in the forthcoming books. The magic interests me as much as the politics and incest. :)

I have to accept that on my first read I did find Bran's chapters a bit boring. But after reading the full series, the second time around, after seeing their relevance in the larger scheme of things I appreciated them more. In fact now I'm looking forward to reading more about Bran in the forthcoming books. The magic interests me as much as the politics and incest. :)

Aye, tis' true. The magic in the bookseries is what fulfills the circle of fantasy and realism together.

Without the magic the book series would be just a horrifying drama, and without the politics and incest (paraphrasing), ASOIAF would be just another fantasy bookseries. A good perspective :wideeyed:

I didn't particularly find the magical aspect too appealing, but surprisingly, I'm really enjoying it in his chapters from ADWD. Anything that happens beyond the Wall regarding the Others is interesting to me, so Bran has actually become one of my favourite POVs from Dance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that I hate Bran's chapters. But I found the GoT Bran's chapters pretty boring.

Although his chapters came up just a little bit more interesting in CoK and then in SoS.

Anyway, he's just a kid and he sees the world as a little boy. So, it's not a big deal. I can actually survive from reading about him and jojen's green dreams and the whole warg thing. :P

Archived