Who will Arya be sent to assasinate?

TheeMikeHoncho

I think people like to speculate about who might be picked for assassination without particularly thinking of the logistics. Illyrio? We have no evidence that he is particularly unpleasant (compared to other lords) to common folks. Maybe some merchant family he has torn down would be willing to give up almost everything they had left to see him killed.

I don't think any merchant family with a lot of money would give up half of it to see him killed, or even someone contending with him for power unless they felt confident they could recompense themselves with his estate after he was dead.

Otherwise, I can't think of anyone other than Dany who has pissed off people enough for them to actually give up so much to have her killed. Also, Dany totally leaves herself open to regular assassins. Maybe a mythos has grown about her because she has survived several attempts so far, but that's no reason to give up on a comfortable life to hire a Faceless Man.

I see in the flames that Arya will be sent to kill Jon, but she will not have to, as Jon and Dany will both perish in the final conflict which sees the destruction of the Wall, Others, Dragons, etc. This will leave Arya free to wed Gendry and rule the Seven Kingdoms. I am gradually coming round to the view that Mance will be their Hand, as Hot Pie would be utterly crap at the job.

I don't see Arya remaining in the order of FM much longer after her training is complete. She will play an important part in the revival of the Starks at Winterfell. It maybe a struggle to remember who she is and her name but she will.

I agree with Lion of Judah, I don't believe she'll stay with the Faceless Men for long. She'll probably be sent on a contract to Westeros, meet someone she knows and stay there, as Arya or whatever persona she had taken for the contract.

Maybe she'll bump into Stannis and find out about "Arya," etc.

And regardless of that - she cannot be sent to kill someone she knows. How hard is that to remember?

That is only speculation.

from Arya chapter in aCoK:

“The name... can I name anyone? And you’ll kill him?

Jaqen H’ghar inclined his head. “A man has said.”

“Anyone?” she repeated. “A man, a woman, a little baby, or Lord Tywin, or the High Septon, or your father?

“A man’s sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command.”

“Swear it,” Arya said. “Swear it by the gods.”

If Jaqen would kill his father, then there can't be a rule "don't kill someone you know".

The scene in the House of B&W Arya only overhears part of the conversation, and nobody explains the rules to her. The only rule she learns after killing Daeron is: "FM don't kill for personal reasons."

That is only speculation.

from Arya chapter in aCoK:

If Jaqen would kill his father, then there can't be a rule "don't kill someone you know".

The scene in the House of B&W Arya only overhears part of the conversation, and nobody explains the rules to her. The only rule she learns after killing Daeron is: "FM don't kill for personal reasons."

There is considerable speculation as to whether Jaqen is acting independently of the FM or breaking their rules.

There is considerable speculation as to whether Jaqen is acting independently of the FM or breaking their rules.

I'm all for speculating. There are so many loose ends, rumors and unreliable reports in the books, what else are we to do?

But some people confuse theories with facts.

I do believe that Jaqen (alchemist, Pate) is at the Citadel. This is still only a theory, but with a better foundation than "FM don't kill people they know".

I'm all for speculating. There are so many loose ends, rumors and unreliable reports in the books, what else are we to do?

But some people confuse theories with facts.

I do believe that Jaqen (alchemist, Pate) is at the Citadel. This is still only a theory, but with a better foundation than "FM don't kill people they know".

Jaqen=Pate is one of the generally accepted speculations on the boards, while the question of whether he is working for the FM or outside them is up for debate.

I can't say I remember precisely the evidence for not killing people they know off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will dig it up.

Jaqen=Pate is one of the generally accepted speculations on the boards, while the question of whether he is working for the FM or outside them is up for debate.

I can't say I remember precisely the evidence for not killing people they know off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will dig it up.

From what i've read on the board, this theory is based only on this conversation between FMs in the HoB&W, where Arya serves water:

The girl understood the words, mostly, but they spoke in soft voices, and she could not always hear. “I know this man,” she did hear a priest with the face of a plague victim say. “I know this man,” the fat fellow echoed, as she was pouring for him. But the handsome man said, “I will give this man the gift, I know him not.” Later the squinter said the same thing, of someone else.

I think that Arya will be sent to kill Mace Tyrell. He's staying at King's Landing to watch over his daughter's trial, most of his army is gone, either to fight Aegon or the Ironmen. Meanwhile Cersei will probably think that he is behind the murder of Pycelle and Kevan plus he's Tommen's Hand so if she has the faceless men kill him then she can replace him with someone more loyal and greatly weaken the Tyrell position in the city. Plus Arya does not know him.

I also don't entirely see why they would want Daenerys dead. First of all, the Facelss Men have no political interests of themselves, and they only kill for contract. And for the Braavosi-hating-dragons part, I think they used to mind Valyria more than the dragons themselves. The biggest Braavosi ideaology is anti-slavery, and Dany is freeing slaves all over the world. So if they do have interests, it will counter-productive for the Braavosi.

I agree with this regarding Dany being a target. The Braavosi were trying to break free of Valyria not because of Dragons but because of oppression. It is a coincidence that both Dany and Valyria have/had dragons, but the slavery is a major difference. So far Dany is 100% committed to ending slavery whenever she can. This should please the Braavosi.

i think Dany is the target... she has a bad habit, all through out the books, of letting small innocent slave girls get close to her... whos to say the iron bank doesnt hire the FM to take out dany as she appears to be the main threat to the now iron bank backed stannis baratheon? who knows, maybe she leaves and grabs needle and goes back to westeros to be with Gentry (yea right) another thing.. since when is it acceptable for someone to just leave the FM? for all we know there are FM after jaqen.. or hes still working for them, or who ever hired them to find out about how to kill dragons.. cant wait to find out.

From what i've read on the board, this theory is based only on this conversation between FMs in the HoB&W, where Arya serves water:

There is also the speculation that the sailors on the ship to Braavos were so worried about Arya learning their names so she would not eventually kill them because she knew them

Archived