Sansa Stark, A Portrait of a Psychopath?

Morgemil

That's silly, because half of the pleasure is seeing how Sansa manages to cope DESPITE her extreme circumstances.

Exactly! I've never been a huge fan of romantic stories of young ladies searching for love; but I do enjoy stories of young ladies and young gentlemen/boys and girls who are wronged and persecuted and how they cope, survive, and eventually triumph (ditto adults and older female and male characters). I enjoy stories about changes in fortune; danger, political intrigue; and family dynamics as well. Sansa's tale has all that; her family relationships (and the Lannisters, since they affect her life), her beginning as a pampered innocent and her tragic downfall and abuse, how she manages to cope and survive. Sansa's story is more realistic, in my opinion, than Arya's; because most eleven-year-old female aristocrats would not have been able to escape being a hostage in a hostile court in a medieval civilisation. If GRRM turns Sansa into a cynical Littlefinger Lite all too willing to exploit and abandon (or kill) people to advance, I will be very disappointed. So far, I have found her story fascinating; and am desperately awaiting TWOW to see if Sansa will acquiesce to the slow poisoning of her cousin or either defy/strike back at/escape from Littlefinger.

Yup, that's pretty much why I don't like her character. I don't enjoy reading pages and pages of detailed abuse of a helpless victim.

Imagine witnessing Theon's metamorphosis into Reek. No thanks, I personally am quite glad that I missed it and got only glimpses of the whole picture.

I think you're missing out on two of the best written characters in GRRM books, but that's just me.

• 2 months later...

What's interesting about the event that you are citing is that not looking away is considered the "lady-like" thing to do. Septa Mordane is really, really proud of Sansa for not vomiting and causing a scene like Jeyne. Sansa's "psychopathic" reaction here, as you call it, is what her culture is teaching her to do-- confronting things like gore are considered positive traits in Westeros.

There's a lot going against your argument, some of which has been listed, but to name a few more, she didn't spend portions of her childhood dissecting animals, she stops Joffrey from riding down the woman holding a dead baby before the riot, she's the only one who helps a freaked out Lollys cross the bridge, she genuinely loves her family, and she thinks that if she were queen she would try to make the people love her.

Well she makes it clear that she hates/thinks she's way better than Jon Snow. She does love the rest of them however.

Well she makes it clear that she hates/thinks she's way better than Jon Snow. She does love the rest of them however.

Indeed. When she's not too busy giving Ramsay flaying lessons, she spends her time writing Jon death threats. Like this for example:

She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall.

Or here:

Jon Snow was the only brother that remained to her. I am a bastard too now, just like him. Oh, it would be so sweet, to see him once again. But of course that could never be. Alayne Stone had no brothers, baseborn or otherwise.

Exactly. In such a violent culture , everyone is desensitized to one degree or another. Psychopath is way off the mark as a description of Sansa.

Roose , yes . Ramsay, psychopath and sadist. ( to name but 2 ) Sansa ...no way , no how.

Well she is higher then him and similarly all of the Stark Kids think about how Jon is not a real Stark so it is not like she is alone in those thoughts, moreover she still cares for him.

You're asking for it with this prompt, but the title made me laugh.

She's certainly had enough jarring experiences that may have left her unbalanced. Just how unbalanced hasn't come to light yet. The stoic aspect of her suffering worries me a bit, as it may be masking an undercurrent of crazy that could surface in a memorable way, such as when she goes nuts on Petyr after finding out his involvement in her tragedies. And, based on Lysa, she seems to have a family history of being zany.

This almost convinces me that this is certainly not the case for Sansa. We've been in her head, you can't mask batshit thoughts from yourself.

Take a look at Cersei, I mean she's always been twisted but once we get to AFFC and get inside her head we start falling down an extremely fucked up little rabbit hole.

Someone has finally found the truth about Sansa.

It shoudn't have been a surprise in a family where the father is known for child abuse (exposing 7 years old to extreme scenes of violence and all), and the mother a psychopath herself (as show her agression of a poor fool of the good Freys). But still I completely missed that... I'm just shocked...

By chance king Joffrey cancelled his wedding with Sansa and married Margaery. Just imagine : there could have been a psychopath on the throne !

Archived