Is Doran Martell a pedophile?

Makes No Sansa

It upsets me that men can't like children without being accused of "liking" children.

I can go to the park, tell a mother her toddler is adorable, ask to hold her baby, watch the kids play, push a random kid on the swing, spin the merry-go-round, even pass out snacks probably and no one would think anything of it because I have boobs. If my significant other did that? He'd have the cops called on him in no time.

It's just ridiculous.

/soapbox.

It upsets me that men can't like children without being accused of "liking" children.

I can go to the park, tell a mother her toddler is adorable, ask to hold her baby, watch the kids play, push a random kid on the swing, spin the merry-go-round, even pass out snacks probably and no one would think anything of it because I have boobs. If my significant other did that? He'd have the cops called on him in no time.

It's just ridiculous.

/soapbox.

so you're saying you're dating Doran Martell? you gold digger, you.

I don't think for a moment that Doran Martell is a pedophile and I pretty much agree with previous posters, and we did have a similar scenario proposed not to long ago.

While many, more than normally in fantasy, are creepy, wierd or in other ways disturbing the vast majority of characters and people in Westeros are not like that. And in this case Doran Martell is most likely not wierd in any such way.

According to the logic of the OP, I'm a pedophile. I love watching my daughter play and can spend forever watching her with her friends. It's fun seeing them chase, play, and talk to each other.

One other thing about these kids in the water gardens. From my experience, kids LOVE to be naked, clothes turn in to a pain and can be annoying. If I ask my daughter if she would rather be naked or wear clothes, I can guarantee she'll start ripping of her shirt before I have time to blink my eyes. I also live in in a place that gets incredibly hot and humid during the summer months. More than once, my friends and I have gotten out a few kiddie pools and let our kiddos play in them naked. They have a complete blast and no one thinks anything of it.

Seriously, nothing to see here. Move along.

Ah...the horrible things old gouty men do in the medieval world for entertainment. Like provide a safe place for children to play and enjoy watching them. I suppose he should be doing something else, like reading the wiki online for entertainment.

I know...Doran needs a team to keep up for football season. Surely the Prince of Dorne has a good sports package with his Dish setup.

Seriously. He likes to watch children play, that sounds like he's a pedophile. I don't think he's never forced any children though. For his reputation's sake he'd never do it, but I think he would like to. It could be that one of his few entertainments is watching children play, because he's got gote and can do a very little amount of things aside of that.

But I've always got the vibe that he's a little bit of a pedophile.

What do you think? Do you agree?

I asked this same question and my thread got locked with the quickness . .. . .

ugh, this again. No, Doran is absolutely not a pedophile, and the fact that he's watching children is entirely missing the point of this part of the story, the Water Gardens, and overlooking Doran's overall motives oh the game.

Doran tells us of how the WG came to be-- it was an aristocratic sanctuary, but then Queen Daenerys (I think) took pity on the smallfolk, and let them enjoy the refuge on a hot day-- the democratic nature of the pools remain to this day. Doran is reflecting on the fact that when naked, it is impossible to tell who is a noble and who is lowly born-- that status is an artificial construct, which belies the fact that people are people, and inherently equal (theoretically). I.E. this tidbit about watching children is actually telling us a great deal of Doran's philosophy and endgame.

Butterbumps.... I bend the knee. An intellectual discourse on what the scene means.

and thus, this thread is finished.

What?

I always thought it was character development and used for contrast.

Here is this guy that his family complains is a wimp, wuss, lazy, weak, has no plan, etc....and this guy is being so smart like Manderly.

What the Sand Snakes and some other characters don't understand is that you can get more done by being patient and calm and biding your time before striking sometimes.

Like the Godfather. Doran can compartmentalize. Don Vito can strike, but he also likes to putter in his garden with his grandson and eat oranges and stuff.

Here is the man planning all this stuff, a lot of stress and pressure is on him, we know more is coming in the next 2 books, he has no idea yet that his son is dead, and it helps him think and makes him feel better to see the carefree, playing of chidlren in the pool. Maybe even wistfully thinking of what it was like to be young and with less problems and burdens on his shoulders.

Well, that's what the hell I got from it anyway.

You know. Children are playing but he sits back and knows there is a storm coming, winter is coming, all hell is going to break loose, etc. Whatever you want to call it.

And I believe all children can come. Not just royal family.

Just look out for Oberyn's little girl swinging a morningstar. LOL!

It is like the neighborhood municipal pool.

Cersei wouldn't be caught dead with other children near her precious Joff, if it were her back in the day.

Archived