Season 3 Filming Wraps This Weekend

Westeros

They could easily get away with not having the Mountain being in this season at all since the Oberyn/Gregor duel will not be appearing until Season 4. It might give them the chance to reintroduce Conan Stevens at that time, although it's a little unclear as to what his standing is with the producers since he abruptly left the show to be in The Hobbit movies.

I had read a while back that they were going to shoot seasons 3 and 4 consecutively so that the children didn't age too much on screen. Apparently that idea has been scrapped. Too bad. By the time she's she's in the saltpans, Arya's going to a woman grown and flowered.

I had read a while back that they were going to shoot seasons 3 and 4 consecutively so that the children didn't age too much on screen. Apparently that idea has been scrapped. Too bad. By the time she's she's in the saltpans, Arya's going to a woman grown and flowered.

Don't know where you read that but it could not have been anything more than some uninformed fan speculation. There was never any plan to do this for a multitude of reasons, first and foremost that HBO only greenlights seasons one at a time so S4 isn't even a go at this point (although if you were going to Vegas, I'd have no problem putting everything I owned up on a Season 4 announcement coming within a couple weeks of the S3 premiere.)

Also, logistically speaking, they are only able to shoot enough material to get 10 episodes done in order to get all the post production stuff done in time for the April premiere date. Hanging around and shooting another 3-4 months of stuff for another season wouldn't be in any way feasible.

Lastly, I don't really understand this rationale about the child actors aging since you'd actually be compounding the issue for the theoretical Season 5 which in this scenario would be shown a year later and have all the kids suddenly 2 years older which would be especially jarring. Unless you planned on filming the entire remainder of the show all back to back (never happening), the kids aging is going to be an issue. At least this way, they just get older by one year for each season which believe me, television show watchers are extremely familiar and comfortable with.

Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing, I don't think you need to worry about this to the degree you are. It's a TV show, kids are going to age on screen.

Don't know where you read that but it could not have been anything more than some uninformed fan speculation. There was never any plan to do this for a multitude of reasons, first and foremost that HBO only greenlights seasons one at a time so S4 isn't even a go at this point (although if you were going to Vegas, I'd have no problem putting everything I owned up on a Season 4 announcement coming within a couple weeks of the S3 premiere.)

Also, logistically speaking, they are only able to shoot enough material to get 10 episodes done in order to get all the post production stuff done in time for the April premiere date. Hanging around and shooting another 3-4 months of stuff for another season wouldn't be in any way feasible.

Lastly, I don't really understand this rationale about the child actors aging since you'd actually be compounding the issue for the theoretical Season 5 which in this scenario would be shown a year later and have all the kids suddenly 2 years older which would be especially jarring. Unless you planned on filming the entire remainder of the show all back to back (never happening), the kids aging is going to be an issue. At least this way, they just get older by one year for each season which believe me, television show watchers are extremely familiar and comfortable with.

Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing, I don't think you need to worry about this to the degree you are. It's a TV show, kids are going to age on screen.

No I read the same thing. I read it around the time they announced that book 3 would be split into seasons 3/4.

D&D said that they would've liked to shoot 3 and 4 back to back but that it for a number of reasons wasn't possible. Perhaps that's what you folks have in mind?

It seems to be HBO's biz model.

Unlike Peter Jackson D&D did not start with 300 millions dollars , you can hire a lot of support staff and put together a ton of resources, plus hire a cast for a year's worth of shooting.

Only puzzle is , it looks to me like GOT, internationally, is going to have a very successful thrid season , so why season 4 is not green lighted now is bit of a puzzle.... but that seems to be the way HBO does things.

It seems to be HBO's biz model.

Unlike Peter Jackson D&D did not start with 300 millions dollars , you can hire a lot of support staff and put together a ton of resources, plus hire a cast for a year's worth of shooting.

Only puzzle is , it looks to me like GOT, internationally, is going to have a very successful thrid season , so why season 4 is not green lighted now is bit of a puzzle.... but that seems to be the way HBO does things.

Yeah I know.

Archived