A little theory about Howland Reed

Loon Lord

I have a possibly crazy theory that Howland Reed actually no longer exists in his corporeal form, that he is the swamp of Greywater Watch or something, and that's why no one has seen him in many years and why he couldn't come to Winterfell himself. But is there any evidence to support this in the text, or am I just pulling this out of my ass?

• 1 month later...

Anyone think The Greenseer/ Brynden Rivers/Three eyed crow could have warged into Howland at Harrenhall to be the Knight of the Laughing Tree? BR did so in the past as the Mystery Knight. He may have continued to do so as needed (defeating Arthur Dayne. ) I know this puts holes in parts of the Lyanna theory but it seems to make sense since they brought BR into the story.

• 5 months later...

Anyone think The Greenseer/ Brynden Rivers/Three eyed crow could have warged into Howland at Harrenhall to be the Knight of the Laughing Tree? BR did so in the past as the Mystery Knight. He may have continued to do so as needed (defeating Arthur Dayne. ) I know this puts holes in parts of the Lyanna theory but it seems to make sense since they brought BR into the story.

That would be very interesting, howland is "one with nature" maybe BR could have contacted him or even "taken control" of him. That's an idea I haven't heard yet. Possibly he knew that Bran was the next greenseer because Bloodraven told him. So he sent his kids to help Bran.

All in all I think Howland Reed is going to play a critical part in the story...

He was only other Survivor at ToJ.

His son has Greendreams.

GRRM himself said that Howland will show up at some point.

Well, I think there are several reasons as to why Reed hasn't left the Neck since returning from the ToJ.

1. Loyalty. His role in the North is to guard the Neck. He does this best by remaining within Greywater Watch and the Marsh.

2. Family. Howland has no real diplomatic duties, and Meera was born within a short period either before or after the rebellion, with Jojen following a few years later, so he may simply have stayed to help raise his kids.

3. World weariness. It's not too surprising to think that Howland simply grew weary with the world following the Rebellion. He cared for Brandon and Lyanna, both of whom had died during the war, in addition to the other members of Ned's group at the ToJ, who may very well have been his friends too. So without wanting to sound melodramatic, Ned became the only friend he had left in the "outside" world. Let's also not forget that the other time he left the Neck to go to the Isle of Faces (and then Harrenhal), he was bullied and beaten up by so-called nobles.

Those are all reasons for his remaining within Greywater Watch over the years. That isn't to discount the injury angle, but I think these three are more likely.

This. Exactly.

He probably swore an oath to Ned that he wouldnt speak of what took place at the ToJ. But unlike Ned he probably isnt so good at keeping secrets so hiding out at home was the best way for him to keep that oath.

I like the idea of Howland being a big gossiper. 'You would not BELIEVE what happened at the TOJ gais ohhhhmygods!'

But in all seriousness I'm quite glad he hasn't shown up yet. I like the bit of mystery surrounding Greywater Watch and Howland himself.

That being said, I'm definitely ready for the big reveal in the next book where he pops up with Rhaegar's harp, Rob's will, Ned's bones and whatever else everyone is thinking he's got stashed away in his pockets.

• 5 months later...

Ned hadn't been out of his lands much since the Rebellion either. There was the Greyjoy rebellion and that's pretty much all we're told until Robert comes to personally fetch him for his Hand.

I don't think there's anything inherently strange about a guy staying where he calls home.

GRRM has said Howland knows too much and that's the reason he has had to be careful in the timing of his appearance.

But there's nothing really out of the ordinary for him to have not left his home in 17 years. People still live and die on our planet today without going too far from where they were born.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I'm rather suspicious about Howland's absence in the world for the last 17 years.

From what we know about Howland, he was braver and more adventurous than most crannogmen, if it is to be believed that he is the man in Meera's story. We also know he was a good friend of the Stark's and that he saved Ned's life from Arthur Dayne at the TOJ.

My theory for his absence is that he is disfigured in some way, and is unable to travel.

It is mentioned that he is a small guy and has few real fighting abilities, yet he somehow saved Ned from one of the greatest swordsmen of all time. I see no way he could do this without suffering any harm to himself, and his apparent loyalty would give him cause to save Ned's life. This would also explain why he hasn't left Greywater Watch in 17 years.

Just a small theory but one that I think is very plausible.

Did it? I always figured he was like Meera. Able to use non-conventional weapons very effectively. I thought the story only said he wasn't trained in the "knightly" weapons, like sword and lance.

Well, I think there are several reasons as to why Reed hasn't left the Neck since returning from the ToJ.

1. Loyalty. His role in the North is to guard the Neck. He does this best by remaining within Greywater Watch and the Marsh.

2. Family. Howland has no real diplomatic duties, and Meera was born within a short period either before or after the rebellion, with Jojen following a few years later, so he may simply have stayed to help raise his kids.

3. World weariness. It's not too surprising to think that Howland simply grew weary with the world following the Rebellion. He cared for Brandon and Lyanna, both of whom had died during the war, in addition to the other members of Ned's group at the ToJ, who may very well have been his friends too. So without wanting to sound melodramatic, Ned became the only friend he had left in the "outside" world. Let's also not forget that the other time he left the Neck to go to the Isle of Faces (and then Harrenhal), he was bullied and beaten up by so-called nobles.

Those are all reasons for his remaining within Greywater Watch over the years. That isn't to discount the injury angle, but I think these three are more likely.

after reading this it makes me believe the theory that the HS is howland reed...his experience with most of the nobles in westeros has been on the negative side and i believe that he wants to change the balance of power in westeros by empowering the faith militant

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cant say the same but here another crazy theory: ,Howland controlled Jojen like Bran did to Hodor. Bran controlled hodor short-time period but Howland did it too long and it killed Jojen(based on the show : Jojen's hand was burning so his body couldnt resist that long)

The only reason that Bran can skinchange with Hodor is that Hodor is a harmless simpleton with very little aggressiveness, fight or rational thought. He is afraid of thunderstorms. When Bran wargs into him he does not resist, unlike the other time we saw a powerful warg try to take over a person.

Archived