Your initial thought of Roose Bolton?

BBerhe

Evil is a bit much. Opportunistic, intelligent, and crafty, I would say.

I think that Ramsay is pure evil, Roose is...different. He is not capable of love but he doesn't hate either. He seems too sophisticated for a Bolton and a Northman, and from the very beginning he was by far the most impressive of Robb's bannermen. Perhaps GRRM was hinting to his character every time Roose spoke in a soft voice and yet everyone listened to him. The thing with Roose is that he lacks feelings and scruples. For him there is no right or wrong, just what is good for him. I found it strange how he likes Walda but admits that any children he will have with her, Ramsay will kill them. And somehow I expect him to punish Ramsay for killing Domeric.

I think that Ramsay is pure evil, Roose is...different. He is not capable of love but he doesn't hate either. He seems too sophisticated for a Bolton and a Northman, and from the very beginning he was by far the most impressive of Robb's bannermen. Perhaps GRRM was hinting to his character every time Roose spoke in a soft voice and yet everyone listened to him. The thing with Roose is that he lacks feelings and scruples. For him there is no right or wrong, just what is good for him. I found it strange how he likes Walda but admits that any children he will have with her, Ramsay will kill them. And somehow I expect him to punish Ramsay for killing Domeric.

The last bit of your post, and the fact that he raped a woman under her dead husbands corpse says to me hes pretty evil. I dont think "different"people do those kinda things.

In any case in answer to the OP i didnt trust him from the start. His castle is the Dreadfort, he never raises his voice and hes got messed up eyes. All point to a guy that needs to be watched closely

He certainly made an impression but during the first few books I really didnt think that much of him, aslong as he was fighting the Lannisters I was happy. It wasnt until his stay at Harrenhal, and later during the RW, that I realised what kind of a character he is..Mind though that I first read the books some years ago so my memory, of my impressions of the man, is a bit fuzzy. The fact that I now find him to be one of the most interesting characters in the North might cloud my memory..

The last bit of your post, and the fact that he raped a woman under her dead husbands corpse says to me hes pretty evil. I dont think "different"people do those kinda things.

In any case in answer to the OP i didnt trust him from the start. His castle is the Dreadfort, he never raises his voice and hes got messed up eyes. All point to a guy that needs to be watched closely

I am not saying that he is not capable of doing bad things but he is not like Ramsay who is trully evil. In the North the First Night is still a custom and even the Umbers still practise. Roose did what he thought that was his right as lord of Dreadfort. I am not saying that it was a good thing and I am not defending his actions. I am simply saying that he is opportunistic. Unlike Ramsay or Euron who harm others because they enjoy it, Roose always needs a reason to harm/kill somebody. Roose is also afraid and he admits it. Ramsay wanted to make boots of Lady Dustin's skin but Roose explained that human skin boots would be uselless. He is a villain but more dangerous than Ramsay or Gregor Clegane, exactly because he is clever and never ever acts on impulse. And this was obvious from the beginning.

I am not saying that he is not capable of doing bad things but he is not like Ramsay who is trully evil. In the North the First Night is still a custom and even the Umbers still practise. Roose did what he thought that was his right as lord of Dreadfort. I am not saying that it was a good thing and I am not defending his actions. I am simply saying that he is opportunistic. Unlike Ramsay or Euron who harm others because they enjoy it, Roose always needs a reason to harm/kill somebody. Roose is also afraid and he admits it. Ramsay wanted to make boots of Lady Dustin's skin but Roose explained that human skin boots would be uselless. He is a villain but more dangerous than Ramsay or Gregor Clegane, exactly because he is clever and never ever acts on impulse. And this was obvious from the beginning.

Perhaps Ramsay is more evil then Roose, but i dont think IMO a man who did what i already said, and as you pointed out knows what kinda boots human skin would make, and also kills around 15000 men just to get what he wants is not evil. Sure he is more dangerous i agree, and not always seeming to be evil, in the same way LF doesnt always seem to be evil. When someone does something so bad many many times, and shows a complete lack of concience over it, i deem them to be evil. But of course this is just my opinion :cheers:

As soon as I saw him I was like this guy don't sit right with me, he was way to different to all robbs other banner men, plus he was realy creepy, then at the Green Forks I was like, this guy is up to something and I don't like it. why would such a 'cautious' man attack a bigger better army after a tiering night march???...

He was written so obviously evil that I thought of course this guy is going to end up proving his true and loyal intentions before the wars are over.

Then for a short bit I thought he had turned traitor because of losing at the Green Fork.

Now I understand the Roose finally saw his House's chance to finally get up from under the family that has been kicking him and his down through the centuries with Ned a hostage and the boy lord being fool enough to give HIM the command over the bulk of his rival lords and their forces.

It's like walking through the woods and coming upon a baby holding a gold diamond encrusted lollipop and not only is it there for the taking but the damned thing is actually offering it to you.

Quite obviously evil/douchey from the start.

Oddily enough, I've grown more fond of him post-Red Wedding, where he's shown to be a pragmatic cold-blooded villain who does bad things because of the opportunity to do increase his house's standing, and clearly loathes Ramsay for being a sadistic over-the-top monster whom he only tolerates because he has no other heirs, not until Fat Walda breeds a few.

I hated him the moment he chastised Arya for asking too many questions. He didn't know she was Arya at the time but it bothered me more than the Goodwife slapping her. His character traits (whispering evil, leeching, paleness, ice eyes) are all the hallmarks of a cartoon villain. He even killed the hero with a snarky remark. I hate the guy.

Archived