What chapters did you never EVER read in ASOIAF?

Where Went Whent

Even after 6 yrs after being introduced to the world of Westeros and ASOIAF there are still some chapters I haven't either finished reading or not even touched at all in full. Most of the information I have on them was related by 3rd parties who I forced into doing it for me. You might think am weird but it's just that while most of those abandoned chapters seemed a bit too tedious, the others just seemed a bit pointless to me or had such horrible beginnings that I decided to skip em for POVs more juicy.

1:) Half of Dany's chapters in Storm of Swords. After Kraznyz the trainer of The unskilled gets roasted alive and she moved to another city I simply stopped altogether. (did I mention I was getting frustrated before that?)

2.) one or two of Cersei's chapters in feast for crows. Possibly the one that started with Tommen being bullied by her...I never got to finish that sadly.

3.) All of Victarion's chapters in Dance with Dragons. (am saving his arc because I want to prolong finishing the tale as much as possible until WoW comes out.)

I might pay less attention to some chapters than others but I've never just completely skipped chapters entirely without never reading them even once. When I find books that tedious I stop reading them completely.

It's like people using that stupid tl;dr. Which is stupid no matter where it it's used but on a book forum? You're really wanting to admit you have the attention span of a gnat on a book forum? It's like going to a barbecue to brag about how you're a candy ass vegetarian.

I read everything, even the appendixes. And on a re-read, I'm doing the exact same thing. I just don't get why people would ever want to skip chapters, as they're all part of the bigger story.

:agree:

Also, I think skipping disqualifies you from talking about the books.

I skipped Bran chapters since he left Winterfell to the point when he ended up in that cave. I skim read bits, so I read the part when he arrived at the wall, but not all his journey to and from. I'm sorry. I have better things to do with my life.

I skipped Danaerys chapters in ACOK and her last two chapters in ADWD. ACOK had far more interesting stories going on in Westeros, and the only reason I endured the Meereen crap was because there was nothing better to read in ADWD and I kept hoping for Tyrion to pop up.

I skipped Selmy and Quentyn chapters because, again, life is too short to care.

Victorian and Aeron, too. I skipped Aeron's chapters apart from the Kingsmoot (which I still found quite dull) and parts of Victorian's.

I am not a prolific reader and I have to really enjoy a story to want to read it. If I am sat there with a book open, bored, thinking of how I could write this storyline better, then the chances are it will get skipped or dumped entirely.

Can't say I have, but he can't be worse than Anne Rice is in 'The Vampire Armand'.

Ha.

He's a very good author who takes chapter-long breaks from the plot to wax poetical about architecture. You can read his Hunchback of Notre Dame, skip those chapters and still not miss out on anything.

I read everything, even the appendixes. And on a re-read, I'm doing the exact same thing. I just don't get why people would ever want to skip chapters, as they're all part of the bigger story.

I read everything too. On rereads, i do skip around a bit. But i read everyone's chapters the first time around. If im really arsed to remember what happened in say, Damphair's chapters, ill read em. But im usually not arsed.

Definitely agree that you shouldnt skip the first time reading the series. Thats just... :shocked:

I skipped the appendices and maps.

The appendices helped me a great deal in remembering who was who and character names. The maps even more because im a huge map person. I would stare at those maps so i had an idea where everything was. (Like i actually thought Deepwood Motte was somewhere else than where it is. Same thing with Moat Cailin. Certainly helped when i looked at those maps.)

Archived