What chapters did you never EVER read in ASOIAF?

Where Went Whent

I didn't skip any chapters, but I have LIGHTLY skimmed/flipped through all the Arya and Iron Islands chapters since the beginning. Neither of these plotlines interest me in the least. I do like reading Theon's chapters, though, always highly entertaining. I read the appendices and family histories repeatedly and religiously. It really helps when there are so many families and characters, and I think it's interesting as the books go on, the appendices change a bit.

I've read all of them, although some are a slog — the ironborn chapters (apart from Asha and Theon), Brienne's travelogue and the Meereenese snoozefest. Even the chapters I found boring, I still read, because you never know what little nugget of critical info will be included in those "dull" chapters. Case in point: If I skipped Brienne's chapters, I'd've missed the dragon sign on the Quiet Isle.

ETA: Basically skipping chapters in a series this complex is somewhere between pointless and dumb. Read it all or don't read it at all.

I skipped Bran chapters since he left Winterfell to the point when he ended up in that cave. I skim read bits, so I read the part when he arrived at the wall, but not all his journey to and from. I'm sorry. I have better things to do with my life.

I skipped Danaerys chapters in ACOK and her last two chapters in ADWD. ACOK had far more interesting stories going on in Westeros, and the only reason I endured the Meereen crap was because there was nothing better to read in ADWD and I kept hoping for Tyrion to pop up.

I skipped Selmy and Quentyn chapters because, again, life is too short to care.

Victorian and Aeron, too. I skipped Aeron's chapters apart from the Kingsmoot (which I still found quite dull) and parts of Victorian's.

I am not a prolific reader and I have to really enjoy a story to want to read it. If I am sat there with a book open, bored, thinking of how I could write this storyline better, then the chances are it will get skipped or dumped entirely.

If you ever write anything better than Quentyn's chapters (all of which are good, the second being great and the fourth being absolutely fantastic) then I may take that bit seriously.

Skipping whole chapters is perhaps one of the most self-defeating exercises one can undertake.

hmm i never skipped any chapters even though the damphair and mereen chapters were incredibly tedious to me on my first go around. im on my first re-read right now and am enjoying parts of the story i initially didn't like and wrote off as being unimportant because i know where the plot is going already and have a more robust knowledge of westeros which allows me to focus on and appreciate the smaller details of the story.

whoever has skipped chapters is very lucky indeed.because after finishing and many rereads we know how happy we are to have a new Asoiaf piece(not fanfics),any new map,samples from Twow,anything new said by GRRM,etc..and all we have is this forum to reduce our frustration of long waiting.now those guys still have some chapters untouched and when they will get the feeling that,'oh I need to read anything new about Asoiaf badly right now',they have those virgin chapters.

I make it a point to read all the chapters and I do not skip ahead. The first read is fast, the second more leisurely. This year I've been focusing on rereads--I am currently forcing myself through a Greyjoy reread and suffering through everything but Theon's chapters. I don't feel free to criticize if I have not done a character justice in reading. That's just wrong.

I can't understand chapter skipping either. It's mind boggling. You literally don't know what you're missing. I mean, aren't you worried you're going to miss stuff? Do you randomly skip scenes in movies? Don't you have to go back and read it anyway when you realize stuff happened that you missed? What?

For the moment Victarion's arc in Dance with Dragons are the only ones I haven't dared read, and am not worried about missing stuff because am saving his story. I do understand your point cos I'd have skipped all Quentyn's chapters as well were it not for that part in Barristan's POV where I read about his death. Then I was like... (?_?) so I started to read his. Victarion's arc is a bit took detached for me and I don't mind saving his until next year. I didnt say it was easy for me to leave some places out...but am a family like you guys and this is how I keep steady interest

I found Daenerys' POVs after AGoT nearly impossible to get through, and skimmed them the first time I read the series. I skipped them all together on my second re-read. On my third, I forced myself to read them, but still found my eyes glazing over and my mind wandering. It took so. very. long.

Never skipped a chapter. There were some chapters I skimmed through a bit on my first read just trying to get to the "who lives, who dies details" I found it was Davo's , some of Dany some of the Greyjoys which were a bit grueling. On my second read I find I am enjoying them way more. I guess since I'm not rushing to find out what happens I can take in the scenes, character decriptions and history better. You can't skip a chapter, it's dumb. You are already reading several thousand pages of text, what is another few hundred to grind your way through?

I read everything, even the appendixes. And on a re-read, I'm doing the exact same thing. I just don't get why people would ever want to skip chapters, as they're all part of the bigger story.

Exactly GRRM wants us to read these chapters

No offense to anyone but In my opinion you have to be down right crazy to not read every chapter. It even bugged me a tiny bit when Linda from the youtube videos said she never read the Mountain/ Viper fight. You gotta read it all!!

Echoing the sentiment of those who never skip. Some chapters are more gripping than others, sure, but in ASoIAF, anything and everything could be of importance. You never know what could come into play later. That's also why it's a series worth re-reading, even multiple times. Just part of why I love the series so much :P

I totally skipped 100% of the Greyjoy stuf. I'm still not sure how their story line impacts any of the others - the stuff about the egg is, I guess, important if you're theorizing, but that stuff could've all just been summarized into a few paragraphs.

I literally have no idea what happened to those guys, and it didn't impact my first read-through.

I also accidentally skipped the Sam/Citadel chapters because they were titled unclearly - I thought they were part of the Dornish plotline which I found to be completely unnecessary and empty of any significant plot.

Did I really miss out on anything? I just have so much trouble reading meaningless details that amount to nothing in the end/major plot developments.

Archived