Doran Martell

DornishHighlander

I think Omar Sharif is too old for Doran, while Ghassan Masshoud is Arabian. Doran Martell is not Arabian... or Indian.

I can imagine Alexander Sidding or Erick Avari as Doran.

As for Rufus Sewell... the only role I would find his appearance tolerable on the show is Ramsay. That man just gives me the creeps...

Everyone's aged up, Shariff is on the old side for Doran, but acceptable; equally, Massoud is on the young side for Doran, but acceptable (largely because he looks older than his years). Siddig is way too young for Doran; Ayari is fine.

As for ethnicity, Doran is Dornish, not arabian, not spanish, not moroccan, not indian, or anything else. However, Spanish/North African is the closest we can get, and Arabian is pretty damn similar.

I must confess, I like the way you specify that Doran is not Indian, then suggest Avari (an Indian actor) for the part. Good skills.

Edit: Sewell as Ramsay? we obvious have very different ideas of ages; surely Ramsay is a young man mid-20s or so?

ReEdit: Rheon is 27, and Ramsay certainly has to be believable as McElhatton's child; not convinced he could have a kid in his mid 40s

I think Omar Sharif is too old for Doran, while Ghassan Masshoud is Arabian. Doran Martell is not Arabian... or Indian.

Well, I see the Dornish as a bit Arabian... Meditteranean to be exact, and that includes Arabs.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a commercial for a stupid witch movie coming out and Jeremy Irons is in it. Had me thinking what part could he play in Game of Thrones.

He was in The Borgias so he would be open to joining another tv show. He's an academy award winning actor so he will need a part with a lot of substance.

Out of all the characters left I would think Doran would best fit. He's not how I pictured Doran but it could work appearance wise.

I doubt they could afford an actor like Jeremy Irons but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, I think there is something shrewd and sinister about Kingsley, Doran's secret plan should be a surprise, a revelation, while with Kingsley I would suspect some secret motives from the very first frame.

Actually I pictured someone more like Pierre Arditi - who is a very good French actor but I don't know if he is fluent in english

http://www.arsenalfi...nload/20296.jpg

Another favourite - Giancarlo Gianini - who has done lots of US films and was even the emperor in DUNE miniseries

• 3 weeks later...

Like I mentioned in the Oberyn thread, I realize the Dornish aren't African/black, but that's what I pictured.

Roger Aaron Brown is the actor I pictured for Doran Martell. And race aside, I think he would have the personality to play the seasoned, cautious, emburdened leader. Dude has a GREAT voice (see the Youtube link below).

http://static.tvguid...natural-259.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ian McShane as Doran Martell. He is almost of proper age as Doran, his skin color is as it should be ( not as Middle-Eastern guys but more like Spaniards) , eye bags and wrinkles on the face to match up with his health problems and even more important, he kinda looks like Oberin. So he could pass as an older brother of the Red Viper.

I also have heard that he was considered as one of the candidates to take up with the role od Mance Rayder, particularly Kit Harrington was the one who suggested him in first place. Perhaps they could invite him once more on the set... In the end, he had already worked with HBO.

Ian McShane would be perfect. And I would think it'd be a great opportunity to give him a lot of screen time, build up his whole plotting with Arianne and Quentyn, as well as tell us things about Oberyn--the mysterious Red Viper that is in King's Landing--all to his most trusted guard, Areo Hotah.

Ian McShane would be perfect. And I would think it'd be a great opportunity to give him a lot of screen time, build up his whole plotting with Arianne and Quentyn, as well as tell us things about Oberyn--the mysterious Red Viper that is in King's Landing--all to his most trusted guard, Areo Hotah.

Areo Hotah is not going to be cast. Hell, who knows if Doran, Quentyn and Arianne are even being cast.

Areo Hotah is the most dispensable character in the Dornish plot.

He doesn't need to be anything but a fly on the wall. As with what I said, Doran talking about them does not mean they have to be in the room. That's why it is talking about them, not to them. Like I said, they would increase Doran's role and it would give them time to delay casting Quentyn and Arianne because we would know about them already through Doran.

Archived