Boardwalk Empire Season 4

Mark Antony

Hmmm maybe, but how closely would he work with VA. Most gangs were at that time held together by shared ethnicity. Luciano is a very notable exception, it's seen as questionable how closely he works with Jews. Would the Chicago Italians be ok with a non-italian?

I think so. They did work with Jimmy Irish after all :)

I get the feeling from my admittedly incomplete knowledge that Chicago was much more willing to work with the occasional non-Italian, whereas a lot of big NY power brokers, like Masseria and his fellow old-timers, were very reluctant or outright unwilling to even work with non-Sicilian Italians. (There's a pretty deep divide between Sicilians and other Italians, although more so in the past than now. This includes the fact that the Sicilian dialect is all but incomprehensible to other Italians. And for the record, Capone wasn't Sicilian, and having grown in Brooklyn and experienced the way the Sicilian mob power brokers shunned others, I'm fully capable of believing that he would be have a different POV than them.)

Gyp referred to himself when he made the statement which makes no sense in that context. Maybe I don't see color like Colbert (though people tell me I'm white.)

Do you believe them because you look both ways before talking about race?

So, he was referring both to himself and Chalky as having common ground because they're marked out as different/inferior by their dark looks.

I'd agree if all he said was "We both got left out in the sun too long." But he follows that with "Maybe you a little longer, eh?." I don't know how else to read that other than as a comment on the color of Mr. White's skin,

The way he said it was obviously in reference to working hard and being taken for granted (like slaves on plantation) but the phrasing was glaringly racially motivated, then the addition pushed it over.

Like telling a feminist she's screeching, whilst you can tell anyone that, it would have implications on what you really mean.

The way I see it, Gyp was saying that they both have been getting the short end of the stick from Nucky, and that Chalky might have gotten even less than him. Further he's hinting that since they're both in the same boat, he'll take better care of Chalky than Nucky did. At the same time he's using the opportunity to see if he can push some of Chalkys buttons to see how he reacts, because that's how Gyp operates, and have been operating this whole season.

Using a metaphor that accomplishes both is just him being clever (in his own eyes).

As the discussion is showing that line was a very well written one as it meant a hell of a lot. I think it was also showing that the black community are even lower on the pecking order amongst everything else.

Definitely the wrong way to go with Chalky though who is a very proud man.

If he gets his club next year I expect there to be a lot of fall-out from it. Nucky wasn't refusing him because he didn't want to help, he made it clear that it was a bad idea based on how people will respond. The good thing is that if it does happen we are going to get more Chalky next season :)

So how would you guys feel if Gyp survives next week?

Shocked. I think it would be a twist for him not to. He's like a Buffy villain - done in one season (and I don't think he's Spike good enough to survive). Gyp kills Harrow would be almost unthinkable.

Yeah i don't think it will happen in fact the thought never even crossed my mind until yesterday. Pretty much everyone (including myself) thought that Gyp dying was a foregone conclusion, but now it's starting to feel a bit to obvious. But then again we know Nucky, Capone, Masseria, Luciano, Rothstein, etc won't die.so yeah the only way i see Gyp surviving Sunday is if Harrow turned out to be the big Finale death.

Still 99% Gyp will die though lol.

Archived