Boardwalk Empire Season 4

Mark Antony

Owen in a box, aside. I'm still a bit foggy on how Nucky convinced Melon to go after Rothstein. He must've threatened to blackmail Melon or something since Melon looked like he had his life on the line in that call he made to the female USADA (I forget her name--the one that tried to convict Nucky in S2).

Nucky made a deal with Melon where he would receive a fee for Nucky's use of the facilities. With Rothstein operating, Melon wouldn't receive anything. Given that the distillery was Melon's legal property, he didn't risk anything by making the call. In addition a big arrest would be good for the Cabinet which Melon is a member of.

^^That makes sense. Also explains why Melon had that look on his face. The distillery wasn't even up and running yet and he was already in the middle of a gang war. But how will they tie Rothstein to the distillery? There was no paperwork. I guess they implied it would be at a future date Rothstein would be indited, after he'd, ya know, actually started to run the place.

• 4 weeks later...

From spoilertv:

--Several recurring roles for Boardwalk Empire season 4 are currently being cast, including Al Capone's brothers, Frank (Al's older brother) and Ralph (the younger brother). Also being cast are 2 characters from Florida: an Italian-American gangster named Santo Trafficante and a ruthless land baron named August Tucker. Other roles include Calypso Pete, who is an African-American gangster from Harlem, Sally Wheet, a white woman who runs an Atlantic City speakeasy, Myriam Polk, an African-American blues singer, a federal agent named Knox, and Michael McHugh, a sexy college freshman from Atlantic City--

It would be interesting to see some of Florida on this show, it would add a bit of color. Makes sense with Dennis Lehane's prohibition novel taking place mostly in Tampa. Lucky and Meyer will probably be selling heroin to Trafficante, building their empire. I expect Capone and Van Alden's storyline to get more attention, probably ending the season with Torrio retiring and Al becoming the main Chicago boss and at war with the North Side Gang. I also expect to see Capone's takeover of Cicero.

George Pelecanos is also writing for season 4, I haven't seen the Wire so I don't know much about him. I assume he's good. I mostly enjoyed season 3 but found the Margaret storyline boring.

• 1 month later...

George Pelecanos is also writing for season 4, I haven't seen the Wire so I don't know much about him. I assume he's good. I mostly enjoyed season 3 but found the Margaret storyline boring.

Almost anybody who's seen The Wire agrees it's the pinnacle of TV shows, the best of the best and Pelecanos moving onto Boardwalk is a very, very good thing for the show. I can't wait for S4.

And yes, Marge's story was nothing but useless filler I thought. So many times I was so tempted to skip her scenes but didn't out of principle (when I watch a show, I make sure not to skip anything no matter how painful it may get). There's been ALOT of bemoaning and complaining over Marge and her story on the internet and hopefully it's caught the attention of the producers/writers which will maybe push them into focusing less on Marge for S4.

Part of what was so annoying about the Margaret story was that it took up SO much screentime and ultimately was not important to the overall story of the season. Meanwhile the show is bursting with fascinating characters who all deserve to be shown more. The final two episodes were highly enjoyable though, and was the first mob war on an HBO series that I found satisfying.

Marge, you're talking about Margaret--Nucky's estranged second wife and Owen's lil' sugarmama, right? The showrunner has all but said her storyline is over in the wrap up video segment for the S3 finale on the HBO website.

Yes, sorry, by "Marge" I was referring to Margaret. A family friend of ours is named Margaret whom we all call Marge, so it just kinda naturally slipped out. If her storyline is over, then what are they going to do with the character seeing that they have confirmed she's returning for S4? Not that I'm complaining that she'll inevitably receive less camera time.

Part of what was so annoying about the Margaret story was that it took up SO much screentime and ultimately was not important to the overall story of the season. Meanwhile the show is bursting with fascinating characters who all deserve to be shown more. The final two episodes were highly enjoyable though, and was the first mob war on an HBO series that I found satisfying.

My sentiments exactly. I watch the show for the gangsters and the politics (as I'm sure everybody does), there's so many meaty plots running and intertwining. You get so pumped when something big starts happening with some of the really compelling stories/characters on offer, only for it to be pushed right off stage with another Margaret scene. No other show has frustrated me like this. It's a love/hate relationship with Boardwalk.

• 1 month later...

http://www.deadline....ardwalk-empire/

HBO‘s Boardwalk Empire continues to beef up its cast for Season 4. Patricia Arquette has joined the period mob drama in a major recurring role opposite star Steve Buscemi. She will play Sally Wheet, a tough-as-nails Tampa speakeasy owner with connections to local gangsters.

Ron Livingston(Office Space, Band of Brothers) and Herc from The Wire have joined the cast as well.

Ron Livingston(Office Space, Band of Brothers) and Herc from The Wire have joined the cast as well.

Any word on the roles they'll be playing?

Archived