A Game of Thrones UK 1st edition?

marion1986

Hi,

I brought A Game of Thrones about 3 or 4 years ago from Amazon. I think I paid 0.50p for it at the time. I wonder if it is not a UK first edition. The book is red and shows some fantasy drawings on the front. How can I figure out if it is valuable?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Marion

Hi,

I brought A Game of Thrones about 3 or 4 years ago from Amazon. I think I paid 0.50p for it at the time. I wonder if it is not a UK first edition. The book is red and shows some fantasy drawings on the front. How can I figure out if it is valuable?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Marion

Here's the ultimate test - gift it to me.

If it's valuable, you will hear my resounding laugh as I move to deposit my ill-gotten gains in the local bank; if it is not, you will receive it back with a lot of assorted penis doodles lovingly placed throughout.

Best thing to do is look at the page with the copyright/publisher info near the front. If it's a proper UK 1st edition the publisher will be Voyager, date will be 1996 and you should see a series of numbers from 1 up to 10 (I think, been a while since I looked). This is the publisher's numberline and the lowest number indicates the printing. So for a proper 1st edition, 1st printing it should start at 1 - some publishers start at 2, but not in this case. I think there was only one printing of the UK first edition, so all UK Game of Thrones 1st editions will start at 1.

If you have anything else, it isn't a first edition.

I suspect given what you paid that you probably have a later Book Club Edition which, I'm afraid, isn't really worth very much.If so, this will be indicated on the copyright page.

Omnia vincit labor: thanks but no thanks... if valueless, I am not sure the local charity will accept the book once you "improved" it

Dickensian Throwback: thank you for your help :) It starts with a 2 and the date is 1997, not 1996. I guess it is a "book club edition" in that case. And it has been loved as it is quite tacky (I carried it around in my back pack, oblivious that it was maybe special). What do you think, is it worthless?

Hi everyone,

It is a paperback.

You can see pictures on this flickr page: http://www.flickr.co...s/90638187@N03/

Thanks a lot and have a lovely weekend :)

Marion

Its a reprint paper back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90638187@N03/8233497348/in/photostream

"This paper back edition 1998 (1 3 5 7 9 8 6 4 2)

First Published in Great Britain by Voyager 1996"

Still, its GoTs for 50p, Bargin.

Its really only 1st editions in Hardbacks which worth lots of money and thats true of most "classics". Heck a 1st edition of Dune (/w Dustjacket) will set you back around $10K. But we buy books to read, not because its worth $$£££

Archived