Why bring her back?

Little Fingers

Let me prefice this topic by saying that I am about 820 pages into AFFC which makes me fully aware that this question could be answered later in the book. So here's my question: why was Catelyn brought back and what will be her ultimate purpose? Is it revenge against the Frey's? Does it have anything to do with her remaining children in some way? A couple of people that I talk to have voiced similar questions. Just wondering what everyone thought. Thanks! :)

I thought Beric Dondarrion's reasoning was two-fold: 1) He wanted to stay dead, but felt someone needed to go on in his stead, and 2) He was sent on a mission by Ned and Catelyn was his wife, so perhaps he felt she would continue the mission?

1) Beric wanted to stay dead.

2) As Thoros said, all men are monsters. 3 years of atrocious war for the Riverlands, it's not about following the king's orders, or protecting the smallfolk. It's about killing as much ennemy as you can, because you feel like it. unCat is a two legged symbolism.

3) Obviously, to put R'hllor soldiers on the field but not with Stannis. The BWB will probably clash with the newly armed Faith in near future. After all, the High Septon outlawed Stannis for following a red demon.

I was so excited to see her back....I think that Catelyn was one of the amazing women in this story that was strong and willful....to see her go was a sad time. Maybe being a woman I realated to her being a woman in a mans world.......but I was happy to see her back getting revenge for her part in this game of thrones....the Starks were, for the most part, playing the game correctly (with honor) and they got shamboozled.....I am glad to see her gettting revenge on the Freys and whoever else had a hand in the bloody wedding!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was a mix of old loyalty in Beric, as well as passing on his 'legacy' with the outlaws. She has a much more terrifying reason for revenge, and the outlaws have a much bigger presence with a leader that everyone KNOWS has died. Berec was only BELIEVED to be dead (well, he did die, but not in front of enough people).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that Lord Berric brought her back, not because he wanted to stay dead (although that could be a by product) but so she can serve as a symbol of the "Outlaws". Mainly because she was the victim of such a horrendous crime (the Laws of Hospitality) and the fact she was quite a strong figure in life.

A combination of factors. Mostly, it was an attempt from Beric to find his deserved peace with at least a chance of not failing his sworn duties.

But it was also a failure of his in evaluating the moral compass of his companions, as well as the trauma on Catelyn.

From a meta perspective, it is also a further opportunity to illustrate moral corruption and the nature of evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome and unexpected. I like how it also demonstrates the randomness of magic and power. So many characters do not believe strongly in the gods, and the gods do not answer many prayers or seem to be very real. So the rarity of Catelyn's re-existence makes it very special and powerful. But oh so sad, to be so horrible looking and now a heart of stone.

Remembering that Beric and Thoros themselves did not really know how this magic/power worked, but that it simply worked through them makes it that much cooler.

Catelyn's worst crime was hating Jon unnecessarily and perhaps that is something she needs to rectify through this new existence, as well as her vengeance. I just wish she knew some of her children were alive!!! (I am halfway thru FOCs - don't tell me anything! :drunk: )

Dondarrion though he lived enough, so he gave Catelyn a chance to get what she couldn't, mostly revenge.

Why Catelyn ? Maybe Arya convinced him to do so or maybe was it something he swore to do to Ned, in case she dies, or most likely, he just wanted to give life to someone who deserves a second chance, especially the Starks.

What could she choose to accomplish after her return ?

1) Love Jon Snow... That was Robb's wish afterall

2) Revenge against House Bolton and Frey

3) Hunt Jaime down

4) "Hurt" Littlefinger (he betrayed her husband, he holds the vales and her daughter)

Personally, I think she was quite stupid before her death so she won't be any smarter after...

Archived