if the dothraki invaded westeros?

orys baratheon no.2

I've always thought the Dothraki had one of two purposes

1. As light cavalry, scouts and raiders for a larger army of Dornishmen, Golden Company and Sellswords. Probably only a few thousand.

2. Unleashed in the direction of Kingslanding, they'll probably be defeated but every battle is going to bleed men loyal to the crown, while a more professional army move slowly to secure the south

There is a lot of talk about Dothraki standing against armored knights, but what about them trying to stand against Westerosi archers? No large shields, no armor for horses or people? What is there to protect them against arrows? A mixed force of spearmen with large shields to hide from arrows and break the charge and archers to stand behind them, no to let Dothraki circle around and shoot as they please, should work well. Twice as well, with high ground.

Excellent point Arland, I hadn't even considered that. Combined Westerosi archery and the huge advantage the charging Vans would have with their lances like I said, as well as spearman like you mentioned in the ranks of westerosi foot, which again, the Dothraki don't seem to have a counter for........I'm more and more convinced that with equal numbers the Dothraki would be beaten by a Westorsi army quite handily.

The dothraki dont use longswords and they dont use spears. So the bronn, and the red viper comparison does not work. They use arakhs, a curved weapon, you cannot slash with a curved weapon, I have seen the show version impossible to thrust with such a blade. And whats more you assume every dothraki is as good as the best of the westerosi, since jorah an average knight can defeat an above average dothraki with the help of armor I think the results would be simmilar with other fights.And if you ar attacking from horesback at a man on foot how are you aiming at the joints? Elbows? Wrists? These dothraki must have some damn good aim. There is a reason armor was and is so widely used, even the mongols who the dothraki are often compared to used heavy armor.

I would just like to point out that Jorha was far above avarage, he unhorsed Jamie Lanister and was head of a noble house! Dothraki for the Win

I would just like to point out that Jorha was far above avarage, he unhorsed Jamie Lanister and was head of a noble house! Dothraki for the Win

The one Jorha faced was also not the worst of Dothraki, Anyhow it is irrelevant and any kind of one on one combat is irellevant. I can agree that in some case lightly armored skillfull warrior can defeat a heavy armored one in a single combat, given enough time, space to maneuver and luck. Mass combat is entirely different matter.

The one Jorha faced was also not the worst of Dothraki, Anyhow it is irrelevant and any kind of one on one combat is irellevant. I can agree that in some case lightly armored skillfull warrior can defeat a heavy armored one in a single combat, given enough time, space to maneuver and luck. Mass combat is entirely different matter.

I think the main advantage of the Dothraki is that they could largely avoid mass combat with their faster units abd just decimate any westerosi army with their superior bows

Dothraki have practically no chance , they only can achieve some succes if they get versatile.

Let's say land in an area where they can steal some technology (like mongols stole from the chinesse) and armour themselves , getting some siege wepons...and hope that the families of westeros won't come united to defeat them.

Dontraki are outmatched in every aspect

- they don't have advantage in numbers

- they don't have the armour

- they don't have siege weapons

- they are shitty with on sea warfare

- they can't conquer castles

- they don't know the lands

They can only raid and pillage , and move using their speed just to avoid a massive confrontation to a 200k huge army of westeros. I am pretty sure they can't even beat the lannisters.

Dothraki are overated.

I think the main advantage of the Dothraki is that they could largely avoid mass combat with their faster units abd just decimate any westerosi army with their superior bows

They cannot decimate westerosi army, as any time they will come to bow range, they will be answered by a hail of Westerosi arrows, which will do Dothraki much more damage. Any arrow shot by Dothraki has much less of a chance to do any damage, then Westerosi one thanks to Westerosi use fo shields and armor. Not to talk about use of trebushets with scorpions and cet. Add to that intimate knowledge of terrain, an ability to attack Dathraki from different direction thanks to use of castles which cannot be taken and use of ravenry to coordinate attacks. And all of this without speaking about the sickness which will probably break among Dothraki, after suddenly being put in a very different climate with all kinds of strange deceases.

They cannot decimate westerosi army, as any time they will come to bow range, they will be answered by a hail of Westerosi arrows, which will do Dothraki much more damage. Any arrow shot by Dothraki has much less of a chance to do any damage, then Westerosi one thanks to Westerosi use fo shields and armor. Not to talk about use of trebushets with scorpions and cet. Add to that intimate knowledge of terrain, an ability to attack Dathraki from different direction thanks to use of castles which cannot be taken and use of ravenry to coordinate attacks. And all of this without speaking about the sickness which will probably break among Dothraki, after suddenly being put in a very different climate with all kinds of strange deceases.

While I agree with most of this, I have to state that trebuchets are useless for open-field warfare, which is all Dothraki are good for. Dany might bring siege engineers from Essos, but that's a different topic.

Besides all the points that we've already discussed as to why they would be useless against a Westerosi army combining knigths, infantry, pikemens, archers, etc.....how about leadership? and tactical knowledge?

We are speaking of the "great & brilliant warriors" who send horde after horde of raiders against an Unsullied phalanx formation in the battle of Qohor.

Who was leading them? Zapp Brannigan?

Besides all the points that we've already discussed as to why they would be useless against a Westerosi army combining knigths, infantry, pikemens, archers, etc.....how about leadership? and tactical knowledge?

We are speaking of the "great & brilliant warriors" who send horde after horde of raiders against an Unsullied phalanx formation in the battle of Qohor.

Leadership and tactical knowledge.. Well, the Dothraki have ''leadership'' of course, all great warriors, but that's about it with the leadership. You could easily say they have none. They despise infantry and sent horde after horde indeed, up to 12000 casualties according to the Wiki. I don't think much has changed since then. The Dothraki still despise infantry and the use of armor etc., as is evident from Ser Barristan's POV.

Tactical knowledge. I mean, what? They don't even have words for that, I think. They aren't tactical. They just fight and scream and think they're very good at it against an army of heavy-armored knights and less-armored footfolk.

I might have choked on my tea a little.

Leadership and tactical knowledge.. Well, the Dothraki have ''leadership'' of course, all great warriors, but that's about it with the leadership. You could easily say they have none. They despise infantry and sent horde after horde indeed, up to 12000 casualties according to the Wiki. I don't think much has changed since then. The Dothraki still despise infantry and the use of armor etc., as is evident from Ser Barristan's POV.

Tactical knowledge. I mean, what? They don't even have words for that, I think. They aren't tactical. They just fight and scream and think they're very good at it against an army of heavy-armored knights and less-armored footfolk.

Jorah Mormont is a good man, good warrior, and some of a tactician... You should read his comments about this to Dany.. He thinks of the Screamers worth a knight, or even better..

And remember, the men (actually, man and eunuch) who planned this, planned this with Golden Company arriving too... They were going to conquer west together...

Jorah Mormont is a good man, good warrior, and some of a tactician... You should read his comments about this to Dany.. He thinks of the Screamers worth a knight, or even better..

And remember, the men (actually, man and eunuch) who planned this, planned this with Golden Company arriving too... They were going to conquer west together...

But it doesn't matter what Jorah told. The Dothraki cannot defeat a westerosi army with the same conditions. Okey, if they have luck, they could win one or two battles, but the dothraki's weapons and strategy are so simple. Look what happened at Qohor. And I don't see many similarities with the Mongols as other users see; the Mongols were united when they conquered half the world; their weapons were better than Dothraki's weapons; their tactics were created by one of the greatest military genius ever. The Dothrakis are just barbarian.

One on one, a Dothraki could defeat a Knight, yes. But a Dothraki army cannot defeat a Westerosi army. Not a chance.

And you mention Varys, but Varys was counting on a most divided Kingdom. Plus, he didn't want Daenerys on the Throne, he wanted Aegon on the Throne. I think Daenerys was merely a catalyst; for all the mess she would bring to Westeros.. Aegon would look like a savior from her.

One on one, a Dothraki could defeat a Knight, yes. But a Dothraki army cannot defeat a Westerosi army. Not a chance.

And you mention Varys, but Varys was counting on a most divided Kingdom. Plus, he didn't want Daenerys on the Throne, he wanted Aegon on the Throne. I think Daenerys was merely a catalyst; for all the mess she would bring to Westeros.. Aegon would look like a savior from her.

Hahaha you said the same phrase that I said.

Why was he trying to keep the peace alive then?

Saving Robert, trying to make peace with Starks and Lannisters?

Aside from number, discipline, and general willingness to cross the Narrow Sea, the Dothraki don't have siege tactics. They wouldn't know how to deal with walls, boiling oil pouring from above, and arrows flying from murder holes. They'd have a stronger chance if a Westerosi commander taught them to defend from these things, but their really wouldn't be enough time until they're attacked from the back by the neighboring kingdom.

Why was he trying to keep the peace alive then?

Saving Robert, trying to make peace with Starks and Lannisters?

If I think I understand what you mean, then look up the conversation Arya overheard. Either Illyrio or Varys mentions that it is too early for Aegon and that the war was coming too soon, but Varys couldn't stop it from happening. So, I think he wanted to make peace with the Starks and Lannisters, because the war would come too early and possibly would ruin their plans.

Aside from number, discipline, and general willingness to cross the Narrow Sea, the Dothraki don't have siege tactics. They wouldn't know how to deal with walls, boiling oil pouring from above, and arrows flying from murder holes. They'd have a stronger chance if a Westerosi commander taught them to defend from these things, but their really wouldn't be enough time until they're attacked from the back by the neighboring kingdom.

they don't need to take any castles just hold up the craven lords in their keeps saltpans style why the dothraki control the food suplies and sources, eventualy starving out the lords and force them to abonden their subjects thus loosing any power in their fuedal system.

Archived